Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-28-2019, 06:02 AM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Bought a car in Florida and as a NH resident I didn't need to pay sales tax as long as it's registered in NH. Drove it home, registered, inspected and drove it back to Florida where it remains. No inspections required and I just renew each year,
Years later I bought another car in Florida for use in NH. Again, no sales tax, shipped it home and registered here. All legal and no tax. Love NH
That gets complicated when you change your residence. I changed my residence to Florida for tax purposes a few years ago.

When I was negotiating the purchase of a car in Florida, that I would take to and register in New Hampshire,the dealership told me if I took possession of it in Florida the sales tax would be due. That included if I had it shipped to New Hampshire on a truck that I arranged for.

Their policy was that the only way Florida sales tax would not be due was if the dealer shipped it to NH because that would not constitute me taking possession of the car in Florida. I think that is legally correct. I am sure they were making money on the shipping too.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,386 Times in 960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
That gets complicated when you change your residence. I changed my residence to Florida for tax purposes a few years ago.

When I was negotiating the purchase of a car in Florida, that I would take to and register in New Hampshire,the dealership told me if I took possession of it in Florida the sales tax would be due. That included if I had it shipped to New Hampshire on a truck that I arranged for.

Their policy was that the only way Florida sales tax would not be due was if the dealer shipped it to NH because that would not constitute me taking possession of the car in Florida. I think that is legally correct. I am sure they were making money on the shipping too.
That must have changed because we bought two cars in Fl and had them shipped to NH and didn't have to pay sales tax.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
MBNeckguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
That must have changed because we bought two cars in Fl and had them shipped to NH and didn't have to pay sales tax.
I purchased a new car via eBay from Florida about 7 years ago and had it shipped to N.H. via my own arrangements and did not pay any sales tax either.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
MBNeckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
IslandRadio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBNeckguy View Post
I purchased a new car via eBay from Florida about 7 years ago and had it shipped to N.H. via my own arrangements and did not pay any sales tax either.

Wow, you bought a car on Ebay... I'm sure it's done all the time - just never encountered anyone who actually did it.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
tis

I would love to know the true answer to whether or not out of state police can stop you for non inspection in NH because i have a friend who now lives in Georgia and she is preparing to have her car shipped home so she can have it inspected here. If it truly isn't an issue for her, I am sure she would like to know so she doesn't have to go through the grief. She has a home in NH too.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
winterharbor59 (10-20-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
robmac

No state can enforce NH inspection rules and regs other than NH. I don't even have a sticker on my car
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #7
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
No state can enforce NH inspection rules and regs other than NH. I don't even have a sticker on my car
I was curious though because I had heard of people being stopped in Fl for non inspection in another state. So I just quickly looked and it did say Pa. will notify other states that somebody has an expired inspection.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

I guess the real question is: "Is a New Hampshire vehicle legally registered if it doesn't have a current New Hampshire inspection sticker" ?

I think this question would only come up if the vehicle were involved in an accident in ANY of the 50 states.

Taking it a step further; Will the insurance company actually pay any claim (for accident or injuries) if the vehicle were involved in an accident and not displaying a current inspection sticker?

I am guessing the lack of a current inspection sticker under these circumstances '"could" be an issue....... but who really knows for sure? Is it worth it to take a chance or not?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

That is a complete tax grab by Florida. In NY and NJ you do not pay sales tax until the vehicle is registered.

I purchased cars in both states and registered them in NH. One time the dealership used a service and regather car for me in NH and took delivery in NJ and in NY they gave me 30 day temporary transportation plates and I brought the car to NH to register.

joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #10
robmac

To answer your question FL has no inspection at all so not an issue.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:30 AM   #11
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is a complete tax grab by Florida. In NY and NJ you do not pay sales tax until the vehicle is registered.

I purchased cars in both states and registered them in NH. One time the dealership used a service and regather car for me in NH and took delivery in NJ and in NY they gave me 30 day temporary transportation plates and I brought the car to NH to register.

Tilton is wrong, Joey. Fl does not collect the sales tax either until you register it in that state. We bought a car, had temporary plates and then sent it to NH. We did NOT pay a sales tax on that car. The other car we just had shipped to NH without using it in Fl. at all.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
TiltonBB

Quote:
Tilton is wrong, Joey. Fl does not collect the sales tax either until you register it in that state. We bought a car, had temporary plates and then sent it to NH. We did NOT pay a sales tax on that car. The other car we just had shipped to NH without using it in Fl. at all.
I am not sure how I am wrong. All I did was repeat the dealers policy. You may feel the dealers policy is wrong.

I also bought a car in Illinois in March. That dealer (a large dealership that sells 1,200 cars per month) had the same policy. They had to ship the car to avoid the sales tax. I got into a lengthy discussion process with them and even got a legal opinion from the Illinois Department of Revenue that supported the dealer's position. That opinion stated that if I, or my trucking company, took possession of the car in Illinois the sales tax would be due.

I had the car in my possession for 3 weeks before I got them to release the title. Eventually, the dealership paid my sales tax so they would not have trouble with the Illinois DOR. That is despite my providing them with a legal opinion from an attorney at their DOR stating that no sales tax was due.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:11 AM   #13
tis

Quote:
I am not sure how I am wrong. All I did was repeat the dealers policy. You may feel the dealers policy is wrong.

I also bought a car in Illinois in March. That dealer (a large dealership that sells 1,200 cars per month) had the same policy. They had to ship the car to avoid the sales tax. I got into a lengthy discussion process with them and even got a legal opinion from the Illinois Department of Revenue that supported the dealer's position. That opinion stated that if I, or my trucking company, took possession of the car in Illinois the sales tax would be due.

I had the car in my possession for 3 weeks before I got them to release the title. Eventually, the dealership paid my sales tax so they would not have trouble with the Illinois DOR. That is despite my providing them with a legal opinion from an attorney at their DOR stating that no sales tax was due.
Well, if it actually happening to us isn't proof enough that you are wrong than I guess I am not going to convince you. You can believe whoever "told" you whatever and go on your merry way believing what you want. I am not going to argue with you.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Quote:
Well, if it actually happening to us isn't proof enough that you are wrong than I guess I am not going to convince you. You can believe whoever "told" you whatever and go on your merry way believing what you want. I am not going to argue with you.
Ok. I see my mistake. If it happened to me I exactly the way I stated it did I, and two car dealers and the Department of Revenue, must be wrong. If it happened to you it must be true.

Now I get it!
Old 06-29-2019, 06:15 AM   #15
Paugus Bay Resident

Jenfa, you have to get a license within 60 days of making NH your residency. Nothing to do with registering a car.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote