Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2023, 06:38 PM   #1
ITD

Default Naswa

Went to the Naswa beach bar this afternoon, was going to have a glass of wine and some water. I sat at a table, the place was pretty empty. At least 7 or 8 waitstaff there, most hanging at the end of the bar.

I waited at least 15 minutes, felt longer. No service, not even an acknowledgement. Thought about chasing someone down, but I dislike working to spend my money. It's too bad, there was a young lady playing piano and singing, I would have enjoyed listening with my glass of wine.

Not sure what the problem was, I'll probably give it another go sometime, but there are lots of places to go around here now if it happens again.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 06:46 PM   #2
Juiced06GTO

That stinks. We went twice last week while on vacation, once on the rainy day after a trip to funspot with the kids (don't go there, its where parents go to die), and then again by boat on Saturday. Both days seemed pretty slow, saturday picked up a bit when we were leaving, but not what i expected at all in terms of how busy they would be.

The service was ok both times, food was "meh". I spoke to Cynthia at the bar about possibly doing a gig there sometime. Seemed like it could be a fun place to jam for a few hours if it was busier.
Juiced06GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 07:58 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Walked right into Lago's last night with my wife, about 6:30 and got a table outside right away, awesome night. That's the first time in about 3 years that I've been able to do that! It has definitely slowed down. I'm not sure if it's the weather or the economy but I like it!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 08:23 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Walked right into Lago's last night with my wife, about 6:30 and got a table outside right away, awesome night. That's the first time in about 3 years that I've been able to do that! It has definitely slowed down. I'm not sure if it's the weather or the economy but I like it!
I think the economy is the big factor but the weather hasn't been helping much. People I think are overall a little bit more particular when it come to spending a day at the lake when the economy is down. It is not that they don't want to do it. Its that when they do it they want to make sure they have a good time. When the economy is doing better, it a bit easier to roll the dice on the whether and spend money on what not be the best of days.

I also thing that the business in the region, my be going through a period where they need to re-examine how to bring customers back. When everyone is in a spending mode and the economy is good, it doesn't mater how much advertising is done, or how good prices are or aren't places are packed... Things have slowed, hotels aren't full every weekend, there aren't long lines at every restaurant. So Restaurants now need to start luring customers.....

With all that said, there is another problem facing Restaurants and bars... workers attitudes..... the quality of waitress staff has gone down. I think partially because there is no concerns of getting fired, with a warm body ready to fill you spot, like we have seen in years past. Many times I have been in restaurants over the last couple of years, and seen the image discribed by the OP......now I have never been ignored as long as the OP.... but I have seen it.....
Old 07-20-2023, 08:36 AM   #5
I.C.Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I think the economy is the big factor but the weather hasn't been helping much. People I think are overall a little bit more particular when it come to spending a day at the lake when the economy is down. It is not that they don't want to do it. Its that when they do it they want to make sure they have a good time. When the economy is doing better, it a bit easier to roll the dice on the whether and spend money on what not be the best of days.

I also thing that the business in the region, my be going through a period where they need to re-examine how to bring customers back. When everyone is in a spending mode and the economy is good, it doesn't mater how much advertising is done, or how good prices are or aren't places are packed... Things have slowed, hotels aren't full every weekend, there aren't long lines at every restaurant. So Restaurants now need to start luring customers.....

With all that said, there is another problem facing Restaurants and bars... workers attitudes..... the quality of waitress staff has gone down. I think partially because there is no concerns of getting fired, with a warm body ready to fill you spot, like we have seen in years past. Many times I have been in restaurants over the last couple of years, and seen the image discribed by the OP......now I have never been ignored as long as the OP.... but I have seen it.....

Agree that quality and attitudes of service workers has gone down. Maybe overworked, maybe no fear of getting fired as you note…in any case, need to make sure we tip the good ones so the bad take notice and see that it does make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I.C.Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #6
dippasan

Default Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Went to the Naswa beach bar this afternoon, was going to have a glass of wine and some water. I sat at a table, the place was pretty empty. At least 7 or 8 waitstaff there, most hanging at the end of the bar.

I waited at least 15 minutes, felt longer. No service, not even an acknowledgement. Thought about chasing someone down, but I dislike working to spend my money. It's too bad, there was a young lady playing piano and singing, I would have enjoyed listening with my glass of wine.

Not sure what the problem was, I'll probably give it another go sometime, but there are lots of places to go around here now if it happens again.
We go a couple of times each summer for that "beach bar" vibe. We definitely do not go for the food. It's fun watching all the boat and people activity. Last time we were there was a couple of weeks ago. We felt lucky to get the server we did. She was attentive and happy with a great attitude .
Not getting acknowledged is a big pet peeve of mine in any bar. I travel alone on business often so I eat at a lot of bars. I'm much more apt to happily wait as long as someone says "I'll be right with you" and knows i'm there.
Another thing I've noticed is that I'm almost excited to get average service. Average service has become the new excellent. Excellent service is a rarity.
Old 07-20-2023, 11:01 AM   #7
LoveLakeLife

The worst is when the waitress walks by the table and sometimes the whole length of the dining room and doesn’t turn her head or even try to make eye contact to see if a refill is needed, everything is okay, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 02:00 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
The worst is when the waitress walks by the table and sometimes the whole length of the dining room and doesn’t turn her head or even try to make eye contact to see if a refill is needed, everything is okay, etc.
Speak up. If you speak to the wrong staff, say a bus boy, the word will get back to your server. Be sure to ask the busboy's name when you ask him to do something. In drill instructor school, you learn to take names, and use a "voice of command" even when you whisper. In OCS, you learn to smile and say thank you. Combined, you will get the friendly service you want.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:27 PM   #9
John Mercier

If you are the only customer in the place... it isn't being overworked.

It may be they had a bad customer interaction, and now are a bit apprehensive about engaging the customer.

That would be odd with a new customer, as compared to engaging a previous customer with which they had the bad experience; but when things are slow, I find that the pack mentality takes over and attention is lost.

The employee missing the sale doesn't always equate that to lower income... which can be unfortunate as customer experience suffers.

I try to be the best customer I can be, and hopefully that develops an ongoing relationship that equates to better service.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote