Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Chickie

Default Scott & Williams / B-17

I wonder if anyone remembers the B-17 which was on display at the Laconia Airport for several years after WWII? It was sponsored by Scott & Williams, Inc. which had been instrumental in bringing it to the airport for public viewing, where it remained for approximately five years after that time. The company had been very much involved in the war effort, having been transformed from peacetime work to government contract work throughout those years. Its arrival was ushered in by a proper ceremony to greet the revered warrior.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
Chickie

Default Letter in Daily Sun Re: B-17

I see there is a letter in today's Laconia Daily Sun (10/9/19 edition) written by Gordon D. King pertaining to the B-17 I posted about above. Glad I am not the only one who remembers it. Very interesting. It is highly likely that my father, who was a machinist at Scott & Williams, made parts for those planes during WWII.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Waco1148

The B-17 was given to the city of Laconia by Robert Thompson, president of Scott and Williams, and flown up from Portsmouth by Floyd Miller, formerly of the Winnipesaukee Seaplane Service and the Army Air Force, and Barton McLellan. Both were flying for Bugbee Flying Service at that time, and Bugbee was also operating the Weirs seaplane base.
Waco1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waco1148 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-16-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #4
macbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickie View Post
I see there is a letter in today's Laconia Daily Sun (10/9/19 edition) written by Gordon D. King pertaining to the B-17 I posted about above. Glad I am not the only one who remembers it. Very interesting. It is highly likely that my father, who was a machinist at Scott & Williams, made parts for those planes during WWII.
My father as well. Then ended his run with being a Purchasing Agent. He was there for 19 years.
macbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Belgium S&W

Not mentioned in the flyer above, there is also a plant in Belgium. My grandfather flew back and forth often between the two plants doing initial setups of production and quality control.
What I was told the quality control initiated by S&W was the forefront of today's manufacturing quality control. I learned that from a reliability and maintainability engineer at Sanders Associates.
ApS (12-29-2019), joey2665 (11-17-2019)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #6
Waco1148

To the above comments, yes, I did mean the Scott and Williams branch in Laconia, it was still a big employer in town when I was a kid. Wish that B-17 was still around, don't know what happened but it probably went for scrap.

My book does have a chapter on Aviation Point in Winnisquam, and has one picture of "The Sign of the Wings," although after it was printed I heard from a couple of other researchers who gave me a bunch more pictures and information. I'll share a picture below.
Attached Images

Waco1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Waco1148 For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (11-17-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #7
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Great stuff thanks for posting.

Q: Picture of what appears to be the backside of the brick mill-is the body of water it sits next to Opechee? Building is on the N/NE shore?
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #8
BroadHopper

The narrow brick mill between the two wider structures is now O's and Opechee Spa and Inn. The building to the left last occupied by Berger and Patterson was torn down in the 70's. The building to the far right is where the Opechee Conference Center was. It is now empty.
Top-Water (11-20-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #9
BroadHopper

Default Above picture

If I remember correctly there was another building located where the entrance to O's parking lot is now. Last occupant was a machine shop owned by one of the Baron family of Baron's Machine. That was demolished for the parking lot. So yes this could be Scott & Williams as seen from the end of Franklin St.