Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Need Mass Car Inspection

Need Mass Car Inspection !

My car is at the lake and need to find a inspection shop in Mass near the border, preferably close to US-3 or I93.

My home town is Central MA, 2 hours away, and don't want to make the drive back, just to get car inspected.

Suggestions ?
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
Phantom

Good lord...... just about any gas station across the border can do THAT !

Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

And unless it's a new car, you've got 19 more days!
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:29 AM   #4
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Good lord...... just about any gas station across the border can do THAT !

You are correct, I just don't know locations over the boarder.

Up here in NH, believe it or not, some gas stations make appts for Inspections, at least around the lake.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
Phantom

I am so confused ..... you live in Central MA and are asking this why ?

There is probably no less than 10 gas stations on Rte 3A near the Pheasant Lane Mall (on the MA side)

Same is true of Rte 213/28 in Methuen

Old 07-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #6
CentHarb_Ray

Most Jiffy-Lube and other oil change places also do drive-up inspections, at least they do in NH.

CHR
CentHarb_Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
8gv

MA has a website with all inspection locations listed. Happy googling!
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Need Mass Car Inspection !

My car is at the lake and need to find a inspection shop in Mass near the border, preferably close to US-3 or I93.

My home town is Central MA, 2 hours away, and don't want to make the drive back, just to get car inspected.

Suggestions ?
Bigdog,

Don't sweat the small details.... I am sure if you pull off the highway, there will be a place to do inspections.... Any car dealer for instance.....

beside which you have until the end of the month to get the inspection completed, I am sure there will be a few rainy days between now and then, and a drive home for a night will not be that much of an inconvenience.

Last unless you are a young Hooligan chances of getting caught in Aug, if you wait until then immediately as you come into the state are slim.... I have been known to miss my inspection by a month more then once....
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
tummyman

This is NOT AD ICE......but I would not sweat it......my son was three months over his date and nobody noticed. NH probably could care less unless you get pulled over for some other issue and then I don't think they can enforce it. Just do it the next time you are in MA....not worth the gas to drive an hour + to get to an inspection station. Letting it go for a month or two may get you a better monthly date for the future.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I know when I use to be a Mass inspection station we could do inspections on out of state cars and put our Mass sticker on the car. I would think a NH inspection station could do the same although they get more money for there inspections than in Mass.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
ITD

I do believe that Mass inspection ticket is a violation that counts toward a surcharge now.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:30 PM   #12
Seaplane Pilot

In NH, you can go to DMV and get a "pass" of sorts, which allows you to drive your vehicle on a certain day without an inspection sticker, with the idea that you are taking the vehicle from one place to another. I did this once a few years ago, and sure enough got stopped by the local cops for an expired inspection sticker. I presented the DMV "pass" and the cop just shook his head and said he had never seen such a thing. Said have a nice day and walked away.

Maybe Mass offers something similar?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
This is NOT AD ICE......but I would not sweat it......my son was three months over his date and nobody noticed. NH probably could care less unless you get pulled over for some other issue and then I don't think they can enforce it. Just do it the next time you are in MA....not worth the gas to drive an hour + to get to an inspection station. Letting it go for a month or two may get you a better monthly date for the future.
No offense tummyman, but I don't think this is very good advice. NH can, and absolutely WILL enforce inspection sticker violations. Been there, done that, got the ticket to prove it.
Oh, and saving the $10 in gas to not drive to MA? Also not good advice, as my ticket was well over $10.

bigdog, as was suggested upthread, pick a rainy day (today might be good) and head south to the border.
Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #14
FlyingScot

I'm with Chip and ITD. Actually, it's even worse. If you are pulled over in Mass without a valid inspection sticker, the police can impound the car. My wife was pulled over in her pristine looking car less than 1 mile from our Mass home, and they towed her. Unbelievable. If you can't get the sticker on time, sneak in to the closest station.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
No offense tummyman, but I don't think this is very good advice. NH can, and absolutely WILL enforce inspection sticker violations. Been there, done that, got the ticket to prove it.
Oh, and saving the $10 in gas to not drive to MA? Also not good advice, as my ticket was well over $10.

bigdog, as was suggested upthread, pick a rainy day (today might be good) and head south to the border.

Thanks Chip, will make a run to Mass on a rainy day next week, and get the car inspected.

I found several places over the line in Mass one in Tyngsboro the other Methuen, both places mainly service Trucks but also will do cars.
Hope to get in-out quick !

Not sure if I mentioned, but the car is registered in Mass and current !
Old 07-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #16
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I do believe that Mass inspection ticket is a violation that counts toward a surcharge now.

YES, it is considered a moving violation and there is a surcharge on your insurance for three years.

With that said, it's better to get it on time than be late!

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I'm with Chip and ITD. Actually, it's even worse. If you are pulled over in Mass without a valid inspection sticker, the police can impound the car. My wife was pulled over in her pristine looking car less than 1 mile from our Mass home, and they towed her. Unbelievable. If you can't get the sticker on time, sneak in to the closest station.
I never heard of anyone getting their car towed just because of an expired inspection sticker. Usually they will only tow your car if the registration or the insurance has expired unless they find something on the car that they feel is dangerous to drive. Or if it failed inspection for a safety item and it was not fixed.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I never heard of anyone getting their car towed just because of an expired inspection sticker. Usually they will only tow your car if the registration or the insurance has expired unless they find something on the car that they feel is dangerous to drive. Or if it failed inspection for a safety item and it was not fixed.
I'm not surprised you don't quite believe it, but as I noted above--car was pristine. And just to be clear--a late model BMW driven by a suburban Mom, not violating any (other) traffic laws, in Wayland, MA. Stopped because he saw her sticker was out of date. Moron of a police officer (and I generally like the police) refused to even let her drive 5 minutes to home or gas station because of PD "liability issues" if something happened.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #19
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
I'm not surprised you don't quite believe it, but as I noted above--car was pristine. And just to be clear--a late model BMW driven by a suburban Mom, not violating any (other) traffic laws, in Wayland, MA. Stopped because he saw her sticker was out of date. Moron of a police officer (and I generally like the police) refused to even let her drive 5 minutes to home or gas station because of PD "liability issues" if something happened.
Now that you mention the town of Wayland I believe you. I use to have a gas station with an inspection station in Wayland. One day I was working on a customers car and I took it for my usual road test around the block. I was stopped by a Wayland cop a block from my shop because the registration was expired and he called a tow truck. They were going to impound the car but I did manage to convince him to have them tow it back to my shop after promising I would not let the customer drive it away with out a renewed registration.

Last edited by Biggd; 07-14-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:20 AM   #20
Donzi Minx

Thumbs up Need Mass Car Inspection

I try and get it done as soon as the month turns, just the obsessive compulsive in me. Oldest son had a problem with his Taurus, (check engine light) and the car would not pass inspection.

After about two months time I finally asked him are you going to get it fixed or risk the fine. Bless the millennial thought process, "I'm all set Dad, the R stands for ready".
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post
I try and get it done as soon as the month turns, just the obsessive compulsive in me. Oldest son had a problem with his Taurus, (check engine light) and the car would not pass inspection.

After about two months time I finally asked him are you going to get it fixed or risk the fine. Bless the millennial thought process, "I'm all set Dad, the R stands for ready".
Sounds like my daughter. Whenever she askes me to take her car for an oil change it's always on empty. One day I got in it and the gas light was flashing and it was on dead empty. I called her up and told her I didn't think I even had enough gas to make it to work, 10 miles. She says, "when it starts flashing I usually have another 30 miles".
Old 07-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #22
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi Minx View Post

I usually end up doing it on the first or second day of the month following the expiration month. My inspection station is close by.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #23
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Waiver Available

Massachusetts can suspend your registration if your inspection is 60 days past due. Some people may think that the violation is for the inspection but the car may be unregistered if it is more than 60 days past the inspection due date.

You can fill out a waiver form if the vehicle is out of state and you must have it inspected within 3 days of your return to Massachusetts.

http://www.massrmv.com/Portals/30/docs/21307.pdf

NH has a similar program but I think it is 7 days after you return. I used it when bringing a NH registered vehicle back from Florida.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote