Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default Oak Corner House

Does anyone remember the summer time inn called Oak Corner House in Moultonborough? It was on the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Alpine Park Road. It is now all individually owned condo units and cottages, but at one time it was a summer rental property for many Boston/Italian families. I remember seeing the summer renters playing bocce on the corner of Lake Shore Drive and APR. I believe the owners or managers of the property were named Caggiano.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Does anyone remember the summer time inn called Oak Corner House in Moultonborough? It was on the corner of Lake Shore Drive and Alpine Park Road. It is now all individually owned condo units and cottages, but at one time it was a summer rental property for many Boston/Italian families. I remember seeing the summer renters playing bocce on the corner of Lake Shore Drive and APR. I believe the owners or managers of the property were named Caggiano.
Yes- I remember it. In fact my sister and I rented a room there in the summer of 1971.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

I remember the restaurant and bar........both were good. How about "Beggars Banquet" in Moultonborough...owned by Paul Costley??
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Remember it...

A friend of mine rented a room there, hmmmm... maybe in the summer of 1971. There was a man by the name of Caggiano from Center Harbor who removed many trees from our next door neighbor's property about 10 years ago. Perhaps related? Greens Basin Girl: I think we might know each other? Did we see you this past weekend at a Labor Day weekend party????
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Pineedles

Redwing,

Bob Caggiano would be about 52 years old now. He was the son of the manager/owner. Big strapping guy, 6' 2" 210 lbs, blond, Mass accent.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Redwing
Deceased Member

Location: New Haven, Connecticut and summer resident of Moultonborough, NH since 1952
Default Yes...

Yes, your description of Bob Caggiano matches that of the man who removed trees from our neighbors property at the lake. He took down lots of trees and really opened up the area around their cottage. Speaking of Lake Shore Drive, my thoughts just flashed back to the White Diamond Inn.... a favorite restaurant of my parents in their day!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
iris

Hi: I remember it well. We lived down Alpine Park Road and also had a few houses on LSD. My Great Aunts sold Oak Corner House to Mr. Caggiano and I spent all my summers growing up in CH. Are you down on Alpine Park Road? I think I met you several summers ago.
iris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #8
piper_chuck

New here and dredging up this slightly aged thread since it's a stroll down memory lane.

I remember the White Diamond Inn quite well. Owned by the Packard family for years. They sold it and the name was changed to the Staffordshire Inn. I worked for that owner for one summer as a handyman. We often referred to him as Col Clink (Hogan's Heros) because he looked quite a bit like him. After a few years of being the Stafforshire, the white diamonds on the railings had to be painted over. Here's a trivia question, does anyone know why? The restaurant while it was the White Diamond was quite good.

Anyone remember Sleepy Hollow Cottages two lots down? That's where I spent my summers from sometime in the 60s to the end of the 70s.

Between Sleepy Hollow and the White Diamond was the Legault (sp?) property. Past Sleepy Hollow was a large piece of land with several houses belonging to the Chirello (sp?) family. I spent quite a bit of time playing there with various other kids from that family. It was eventually split up. My parents bought the house closest to the street. When my father retired they moved there. After several years they decided the winters were too long and moved to AZ.

I also remember the Oak Corner, but since I didn't have any friends there, spent little time on the property. I recall they had one of the larger docks in that corner.

Moving down the neck, does anyone remember the gentleman with the seaplane? On Friday afternoon he'd fly in and then on Sunday he'd head back down to Mass. From what I recall he finally quit flying it when an engine problem caused his plane to stall. He put it in a tree right next to the ice cream stand that was across from Robin's. I don't think he was hurt, but I think he didn't fly any more. My father would know...

Will try to jog my memory about more of the people and places on Lake Shore Drive. I'm sure my father could name a bunch...
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piper_chuck For This Useful Post:
ashcoveguy (06-17-2023)
Old 02-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

The White Diamond had the best veal oscar on the planet.....I believe Mark made his own tarragon bearnaise.After they closed ....he and a partner,Malcolm Knowles,opened the Hathaway house in Laconia which was the place to go for many years.He brought his veal oscar recipe with him.....served it with white asparagus......oh man....I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Blast from the past

The White Diamond Inn. What a trip! Had an enjoyable New Years Eve!

I think I was attending Belknap College at the time.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
piper_chuck

Belknap College, now there's a blast from the past. We used to rent our winterized cottages out to Belknap students.
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Pineedles

Default Student rentals

Renting to Belknap students was a big mistake that my parents made one winter. When we owned the winterized house next door the students trashed the house, State Police wanted access to look for hard drugs, which they found, and we were left with a dead monkey in the refrigerator among other things too gross to go into to cleanup. For awhile our home was known as the Monkey House.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #13
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Renting to Belknap students was a big mistake that my parents made one winter. When we owned the winterized house next door the students trashed the house, State Police wanted access to look for hard drugs, which they found, and we were left with a dead monkey in the refrigerator among other things too gross to go into to cleanup. For awhile our home was known as the Monkey House.
What!!!!! A monkey!!!! Sounds like a Hunter S. Thompson style party. What a thing to find, who keeps a monkey in the frig anyway, what a wild night that must been, lmao.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Redwing
Deceased Member

Default A monkey?

So..... the monkey was a pet, and died, and to avoid dead monkey odors the students refrigerated it? Oh my.... I've heard everything. I do recall going to many gatherings in the summer-time on Lake Shore Rd (and elsewhere in Ctr Harbor/Moultonboro) "hosted" by Belknap College students renting homes/camps. Some names I remember: Mike Hahn, John Burke, Larry Haney, Buzz Cabel, Tony Livingston, George Hawkins, to name a few....a closely-knit group. Never saw a monkey in my travels.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #15
Pineedles

Default Monkeys and more

They also had a pair pf huskies that thought that the front porch was their personal bathroom. Yeck.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #16
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwing View Post
I do recall going to many gatherings in the summer-time on Lake Shore Rd (and elsewhere in Ctr Harbor/Moultonboro) "hosted" by Belknap College students renting homes/camps.
Isn't it actually called Lake Shore Drive? I remember hearing that the Belknap College students got a big kick out of saying that they lived on LSD.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
Redwing
Deceased Member

Default Drive!

Thank you for your reminder (LSD) and correction!
Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #18
SIKSUKR

Default Animal House

Sounds like John Blutarsky and his fellow Delta brothers lived there. At least it wasn't a horse!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #19
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Kona Farm Carriage House

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Sounds like John Blutarsky and his fellow Delta brothers lived there. At least it wasn't a horse!
Nope. They were at the Kona Farm. they always had a fresh supply of PSC girls on weekends.

When the group 'Mountain' played at Belknap College, I have never known Center Harbor to be so groovy! LOL!
Old 06-17-2020, 05:43 PM   #20
Gabe Caggiano

My name is Gabe Caggiano. A cousin to Eddy and his son Bob who ran the OCH. Spent alot of time there in the late 60s. They rang a huge bell near the cabins for breakfast at 7am. Pity the place went under. That real estate was gold. The main building is gone and the area looks like a trailer park now.
Gabe Caggiano is offline   Reply With Quote