Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #1
Lakes Region Resident

Default Fireworks Scare Animals

Am I alone? Is my dog the only one that becomes very scared and very nervous when others decide that it's time for junior high school behavior. Many summer weekends my dog has to endure prolonged episodes of load juvenile fireworks while he tries to hide for cover.

Oh, let's all set off expensive fireworks. Our fun is what is important. Because I may be a visitor from out of state. We can't do this at home. Let's scare the animals here until they get beyond control. Oh what fun?

My thought is if you can't do this at home, then why is such cruelty okay here? Get a hold of yourself. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Especially, be kind to animals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lakes Region Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the constructive post!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
Joebon

Come on now!! Can't we all just get along!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes Region Resident View Post
Am I alone? Is my dog the only one that becomes very scared and very nervous when others decide that it's time for junior high school behavior. Many summer weekends my dog has to endure prolonged episodes of load juvenile fireworks while he tries to hide for cover.

Oh, let's all set off expensive fireworks. Our fun is what is important. Because I may be a visitor from out of state. We can't do this at home. Let's scare the animals here until they get beyond control. Oh what fun?

My thought is if you can't do this at home, then why is such cruelty okay here? Get a hold of yourself. Treat others as you would want them to treat you. Especially, be kind to animals.

Fireworks = cruelty??.... Really?....

Wow, just wow...
Old 09-02-2017, 09:29 PM   #5
8gv

Thunderstorms and to a lesser extent, fireworks make my dog very anxious.

I have become aware of a calming vest for dogs. I am told they are effective.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 AM   #6
MikeF-NH

not all towns in NH allow fireworks (see: http://nhpr.org/post/map-does-your-t...works#stream/0) and many have oridances for times after which they can not be fired.

If the youth in question are legally using the fireworks then the problem is yours not theirs. If they are not then you can let the local authorities resolve the issue for you.

While I find them annoying during their apex, my dog (who hunts with me) find the sound "exciting". Its just one of those "seasonal" items we deal with here. try using these tips: https://positively.com/contributors/...ing-fireworks/
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:03 AM   #7
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Really???

Now fireworks??? If it's legal which it is in most towns in NH then you and your dog will have to live with it.

What is this country turning into, now I have to worry about loud noises from fireworks bothering a dog? FYI I am a dog owner.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains

Quote:
Welcome to the forum LR Resident. No you are not alone, I agree. Some people are very inconsiderate. We put a thunder shirt on our dachshund during the weekend fireworks. It seems to help.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #9
moose tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Now fireworks??? If it's legal which it is in most towns in NH then you and your dog will have to live with it.

What is this country turning into, now I have to worry about loud noises from fireworks bothering a dog? FYI I am a dog owner.
The fireworks also bother me. I guess you don't have to worry about anything, just "Live Free or Die". Forget about your neighbors.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose tracks View Post
The fireworks also bother me. I guess you don't have to worry about anything, just "Live Free or Die". Forget about your neighbors.
If it's legal there is nothing you can due about it. People are entitled to celebrate and as long as it is within respectful hours it should not be an issue.

Should we stop all the fireworks shows at the Weirs or other places on the lake because a few don't like them or it bothers a few dogs. Sheeesh. Tail wagging the dog again.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #11
pjard

I have three dogs and one of them is horribly afraid of fireworks....but, I lit some off last night with my son! Also, I am a full time NH resident. Don't blame the out of state folks who love it up here and spend lots of money.

We are on the brink of war with North Korea.
NH is ground zero for the heroin problem.
I love teachers but our education system is in much need or repair.
The federal deficit is out of control.
Look what's happened to Houston.

All this and you're complaining about a few people enjoying themselves with a completely legal activity.

Sorry I don't vent much like this on the forum but I couldn't resist.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:48 AM   #12
joey2665

Default Thank You'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I have three dogs and one of them is horribly afraid of fireworks....but, I lit some off last night with my son! Also, I am a full time NH resident. Don't blame the out of state folks who love it up here and spend lots of money.

All this and you're complaining about a few people enjoying themselves with a completely legal activity.

No thanks button so here you go, THANK YOU sometimes we all need some perspective.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:49 AM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post

Amen PAUL!!!!
Old 09-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
moose tracks

Too much fireworks on this thread.

Last edited by moose tracks; 09-04-2017 at 01:52 AM.
moose tracks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:02 AM   #15
Merrymeeting

Not to mention what they might be doing to the lake and our drinking water.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...DdO/story.html

It's interesting to see in the reference above that Wolfeboro, Alton, and Gilford all ban the use. I suspect the enforcement is not a top priority.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #16
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
Not to mention what they might be doing to the lake and our drinking water.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...DdO/story.html

It's interesting to see in the reference above that Wolfeboro, Alton, and Gilford all ban the use. I suspect the enforcement is not a top priority.
Gilford changed the law, they are allowed.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:38 AM   #17
ApS

Question Consideration?

Quote:
Am I alone? Is my dog the only one that becomes very scared and very nervous when others decide that it's time for junior high school behavior. Many summer weekends my dog has to endure prolonged episodes of loud juvenile fireworks while he tries to hide for cover. Oh, let's all set off expensive fireworks. Our fun is what is important. Because I may be a visitor from out of state. We can't do this at home. Let's scare the animals here until they get beyond control. Oh what fun?
Last night there were some scattered fireworks, which was unusual after several weekends without anything significant to "celebrate".

About an hour after the fireworks shut down near Libby Museum, I heard a Loon call—typically indicating she had taken flight. (I didn't know Loons flew at night, but other birds do migrate at night). After that Loon departed, I heard two other Loons calling, but their calls didn't resemble anything I've heard before. Loons already vocalize a lonesome cry, so these two sounded even more like grieving.

I have a neighbor with one dog who ran off in the dark—resulting in a two-hour search with stressed neighbors shining flashlights. Previously, that dog had reliably hidden under a bed. Tranquilizers didn't work: even deaf today, that dog still hides under a bed. With fireworks nearby, my own two Dachshunds would pace nervously, with their ears back—indicating fear.

So, you're not alone.

As to legality, was it last year that a Maine resident was killed by his own fireworks blast? A very stupid move for a young adult, but juvenile in thoughtless intent.

My long-time NY neighbor, who set off fireworks at the lake as a juvenile, is deaf today.

As fireworks leave the resultant effects of black powder ignition, is the pollution from fireworks contributing to even more Nitrogen into lake water? (And the rampant algae growth were seeing today?)

Quote:
What? Have consideration while visiting the lake?

Did you know that admonition goes back to The Dead Sea Scrolls, BF...?

(Before Fireworks).

Old 09-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #18
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Last night there were some scattered fireworks, which was unusual after several weekends without anything significant to "celebrate".

About an hour after the fireworks shut down near Libby Museum, I heard a Loon call—typically indicating she had taken flight. (I didn't know Loons flew at night, but other birds do migrate at night). After that Loon departed, I heard two other Loons calling, but their calls didn't resemble anything I've heard before. Loons already vocalize a lonesome cry, so these two sounded even more like grieving.

I have a neighbor with one dog who ran off in the dark—resulting in a two-hour search with stressed neighbors shining flashlights. Previously, that dog had reliably hidden under a bed. Tranquilizers didn't work: even deaf today, that dog still hides under a bed. With fireworks nearby, my own two Dachshunds would pace nervously, with their ears back—indicating fear.

So, you're not alone.

As to legality, was it last year that a Maine resident was killed by his own fireworks blast? A very stupid move for a young adult, but juvenile in thoughtless intent.

My long-time NY neighbor, who set off fireworks at the lake as a juvenile, is deaf today.

As fireworks leave the resultant effects of black powder ignition, is the pollution from fireworks contributing to even more Nitrogen into lake water? (And the rampant algae growth were seeing today?)

What? Have consideration while visiting the lake?

Did you know that admonition goes back to The Dead Sea Scrolls, BF...?

(Before Fireworks).

I don't buy the pollution argument as no one said the remnants go into the lake. Many set them off near the lake but not over it and my neighbors always cleaned up after. Maybe we should all sit in our chairs with our hands folded staring at the water with no boating or other activities and go to bed by 8pm.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #19
garysanfran

Default Last night around 3:00am...

I heard a barrage the lasted for about 5 minutes...Governor's Is or The Weirs. I don't like any man made noise at that time.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #20
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I heard a barrage the lasted for about 5 minutes...Governor's Is or The Weirs. I don't like any man made noise at that time.
I absolutely agree that is an unacceptable hour under any circumstances. I think on a Friday or Saturday 10 or 11pm would do be fine
Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 AM   #21
FlyingScot

All the species in our house are bothered by fireworks. Like Gary, we get plenty of late night noise from them. While only our cat is unnerved by all of them, the rest of us just wish they'd be restricted to the time around July 4 and/or non-personal use.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Doobs41378

Went white water rafting a few years ago in Maine. We slept in tents at the place. About 3am someone started setting off sticks of dynamite in the middle of the field. If you ever want to be scared in your life, wake up to that noise right by your tent and the bright lights flashing. Yeah, we haven't been back. I am a full time NH resident and we hear fireworks in our hometown as well as up here. I am not a fireworks guy but I do not feel they should not be allowed because a dog doesn't like them and yes, I own a dog.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #23
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Last evening several nice fireworks displays on the mainland were visible from the west side of Welch. An appropriate ending to a nice summer season.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:17 PM   #24
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Am I alone? Is my dog the only one that becomes very scared and very nervous when others decide that it's time for junior high school behavior.
I have a family member who is deathly afraid of dogs... so should we ban everyone from owning them?
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:01 PM   #25
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I have a family member who is deathly afraid of dogs... so should we ban everyone from owning them?
EXCELLENT!!! Best response of this entire thread.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #26
jeffk

The first dog I owned got really upset over bands marching in a parade? Don't know why but she really got spooked. We learned to leave her at home when we knew the would be parades with bands. Maybe I should have asked that bands in parades be banned?
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #27
MAXUM

The funny thing this entire tread illustrates is a two fold and conflicting problem that continues to fester into today's society....

1. A total and complete lack of intolerance towards (fill in the blank) to where (fill in the blank) should no longer be allowed because I don't like it. In some cases this has resulted in total and complete out of control chaos and riots - ironically many "claiming" is in the name of "tolerance".

2. A total and complete lack of courtesy towards others in regards to (fill in the blank) where (fill in the blank) may be not necessarily welcomed by others to a greater or lesser degree. Instead we have those who determine they have a God given right to do (fill in the blank) and come hell or high water nobody will stop me from doing so even right in your face.

It's sad that much of this could be solved with a little common courtesy and civility no?

And finally to APS

Are you attempting to insinuate fireworks caused the loons to sound sad or be sad or is that depressed, hmm do you think it's clinical depression? OMG what if it is! Oh the horror..... what should we do?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #28
joey2665

Quote:
The funny thing this entire tread illustrates is a two fold and conflicting problem that continues to fester into today's society....

1. A total and complete lack of intolerance towards (fill in the blank) to where (fill in the blank) should no longer be allowed because I don't like it. In some cases this has resulted in total and complete out of control chaos and riots - ironically many "claiming" is in the name of "tolerance".

2. A total and complete lack of courtesy towards others in regards to (fill in the blank) where (fill in the blank) may be not necessarily welcomed by others to a greater or lesser degree. Instead we have those who determine they have a God given right to do (fill in the blank) and come hell or high water nobody will stop me from doing so even right in your face.

It's sad that much of this could be solved with a little common courtesy and civility no?

And finally to APS

Are you attempting to insinuate fireworks caused the loons to sound sad or be sad or is that depressed, hmm do you think it's clinical depression? OMG what if it is! Oh the horror..... what should we do?
Great post MAXUM. Pretty much it is a microcosm. I want to do what I want to do whenever I want to and if I don't like what your doing nobody can do it.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 AM   #29
Poor Richard

Probably easier to combine this thread, the wake boats thread, the "New Boat on the Lake" thread, the thread about that restaurant being awesome (except that one time) and the traffic in Meredith thread all into one. It could be called the "1st world problems" thread.
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #30
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
Probably easier to combine this thread, the wake boats thread, the "New Boat on the Lake" thread, the thread about that restaurant being awesome (except that one time) and the traffic in Meredith thread all into one. It could be called the "1st world problems" thread.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #31
Top-Water

Quote:
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #32
Top-Water

Angry

Quote:

And finally to APS

Had two great days on the water this weekend and last weekend fishing, close to 50 smallmouth each day and no rock bass. You really get to see a lot of the lake and what goes on on a typical weekend when you hardly use the gas motor and spend a few hours in just a couple of places. Yup! seen it all this past weekend and one before, the fast boats, the wake-board boats, the inconsiderate and inexperienced, the jet skis, the big waves and rough water from the big boats at the weirs, town docks that look like they could use some repairs, dogs barking, and the slow ride back to center harbor in the dark watching the small family shore line fireworks displays.

What a crappy place to visit! Can't wait to get back

Despite all the little things that maybe made my last 2 visits (NOT PERFECT) I still considered myself one of the luckiest people on earth just to be here.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #33
jetlag100

Default Fireworks

My dog isn't thrilled about fire works, either, but, when my neighbor spends a weeks pay on them, and celebrates the summer, I take her into the bedroom...we get on the bed and I keep her close, and comfort her. She tolerates them...found her upstairs one time, hiding....she doesn't do stairs (she's spoiled)..but she does ,when it comes to things that frighten her.. Live free or Die
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #34
Outdoorsman

Quote:
And they could air it on "Greg and the Morning Buzz" radio show.

After these threads are combined into one, close it.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:00 PM   #35
kawishiwi

Default So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
And they could air it on "Greg and the Morning Buzz" radio show.

After these threads are combined into one, close it.
So...what you are saying is that no one should ever give voice, IN A FORUM, to an opinion or a complaint, but you get to give opinions & complaints about people who have opinions & complaints. What are you, 12?
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #36
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
So...what you are saying is that no one should ever give voice, IN A FORUM, to an opinion or a complaint, but you get to give opinions & complaints about people who have opinions & complaints. What are you, 12?
I never said, nor did I imply such a thing... just gave an OPINION with which you disagree. If you read the above comments, I am not alone. If you did not get my above reference, sorry.

To be clear where "I" stand on fireworks at 1am..

My situation is, I work most every holiday/weekends, Including this weekend.. My neighbors were shooting fireworks until about 1:00 am on Sunday night.

They do this each and every holiday weekend! Memorial day, 4th of July, Labor day etc.

YES it woke me up at about 1 am last night

.... you know what though..... they are having a good time, same as I did in my youth.....

Last edited by Outdoorsman; 09-04-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #37
Poor Richard

Outdoorsman - Good call! I had forgotten about the Morning Buzz doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Spoken like a true keyboard commando. Guess that whole snowflake name calling thing didn't work out so well and now you've moved on to straight BS. Gives the illusion of being effective and witty but is still juvenile and transparent.

Enjoy!
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #38
ApS

Exclamation Empathy Would Have To Come First...

Quote:

And finally to APS

You've got it covered with your closing remarks above, highlighted in blue.

Other than, perhaps, their calls, I have no idea how Loons can express depression, but it's a well-known fact that animals—from elephants to catsfeel grief. Anyone with an ounce of empathy—whose dog has lost his mate—can feel it deeply.

Even at Winter Harbor's Camp Wyanoke, we'd ask what that distant noise was, and the reply was always, "Oh, that's The Weirs: They have fireworks every Monday evening".

If Camp Wyanoke had fireworks, I don't recall any. Wyanoke did have a cannon that had weekend onlookers jumping out of their skins.

But today, it's literally right next door.

So today we had a 1st-world problem, supported by people who—and I quote—"Don't blame the out-of-state folks who love it up here and spend lots of money."

I'd sure feel better if fireworks were "environmentally-safe", and were made in the U.S.A. Even better, they should have the empathy that actress Marina Sirtis playing Deanna Troi expressed so well in Star Trek—The Next Generation.

It's responsible to treat animals humanely; therefore, I put myself on the side that empathizes when their pets are confronted by a menacing concept they are unable to understand.

Attached Images

Old 09-04-2017, 08:07 PM   #39
Top-Water

Quote:
Star Trek—The Next Generation.
I never would have predicted Star Trek would make it into this thread.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:47 AM   #40
MAXUM

Quote:
You've got it covered with your closing remarks above, highlighted in blue.

Other than, perhaps, their calls, I have no idea how Loons can express depression, but it's a well-known fact that animals—from elephants to catsfeel grief. Anyone with an ounce of empathy—whose dog has lost his mate—can feel it deeply.

Even at Winter Harbor's Camp Wyanoke, we'd ask what that distant noise was, and the reply was always, "Oh, that's The Weirs: They have fireworks every Monday evening".

If Camp Wyanoke had fireworks, I don't recall any. Wyanoke did have a cannon that had weekend onlookers jumping out of their skins.

But today, it's literally right next door.

So today we had a 1st-world problem, supported by people who—and I quote—"Don't blame the out-of-state folks who love it up here and spend lots of money."

I'd sure feel better if fireworks were "environmentally-safe", and were made in the U.S.A. Even better, they should have the empathy that actress Marina Sirtis playing Deanna Troi expressed so well in Star Trek—The Next Generation.

It's responsible to treat animals humanely; therefore, I put myself on the side that empathizes when their pets are confronted by a menacing concept they are unable to understand.

Just remember that empathy goes both ways. I like you am very fortunate to have a place on the lake that I pretty much enjoy all year long. Eh winter is a bit more tricky but doesn't stop me. Bottom line summers bring lots of people, boat traffic, kids yelling and screaming, dogs barking, crowds, traffic jams and so on. In the fall, winter and spring nobody is around or in number so small it doesn't really matter so there is more peace and quiet. So I choose to say hey ya know there are those that try to get a years worth of enjoyment into a week or two vacation during the summer time, so long as they are not doing something so incredibly dangerous that they should be stopped let the fireworks fly, let the go fast boats have their moments of stupidly fast travel across the water, etc.. or better yet (fill in the blank) because the list of annoying things is long and very distinguished. Life is short, enjoy what you got, clearly many would kill to have a place on the water like you and I both have! This lake is here for everyone to enjoy maybe not always the way YOU would like to see it enjoyed but what makes your idea of enjoyment any better than the next guy?

The dynamics of the lake will always change if you can't accept that then it's really to bad you'll spend your life obsessed with complaining about everything that has changed since year (fill in the blank).

I am in total agreement that animals should be treated humanely, but being scared is a natural instinct that can be triggered by any number of things, both natural or manmade so it is literally impossible to prevent it from happening. Either that or I'll suggest you should be banned from taking a hike in the woods, you may scare a deer and that is both tragic and completely unnecessary!
Old 09-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #41
hd333

Quote:

NO FUN OF ANY KIND!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #42
Tyler

Quote:
Just remember that empathy goes both ways. I like you am very fortunate to have a place on the lake that I pretty much enjoy all year long. Eh winter is a bit more tricky but doesn't stop me. Bottom line summers bring lots of people, boat traffic, kids yelling and screaming, dogs barking, crowds, traffic jams and so on. In the fall, winter and spring nobody is around or in number so small it doesn't really matter so there is more peace and quiet. So I choose to say hey ya know there are those that try to get a years worth of enjoyment into a week or two vacation during the summer time, so long as they are not doing something so incredibly dangerous that they should be stopped let the fireworks fly, let the go fast boats have their moments of stupidly fast travel across the water, etc.. or better yet (fill in the blank) because the list of annoying things is long and very distinguished. Life is short, enjoy what you got, clearly many would kill to have a place on the water like you and I both have! This lake is here for everyone to enjoy maybe not always the way YOU would like to see it enjoyed but what makes your idea of enjoyment any better than the next guy?

The dynamics of the lake will always change if you can't accept that then it's really to bad you'll spend your life obsessed with complaining about everything that has changed since year (fill in the blank).

I am in total agreement that animals should be treated humanely, but being scared is a natural instinct that can be triggered by any number of things, both natural or manmade so it is literally impossible to prevent it from happening. Either that or I'll suggest you should be banned from taking a hike in the woods, you may scare a deer and that is both tragic and completely unnecessary!
BRAVO Maxum!!!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:36 PM   #43
Not to Worry

Default It is legal therefore my right!?

I have to laugh at this thread. A person complains about the fireworks and some get up on their soapbox to pontificate that if it is legal then do not complain. Or somehow how the person(s) that the fireworks annoy is against having fun. Really?

Most of use would not go out and blast music or create other disturbances for our neighbors so why is the complaint about fireworks so offensive to some? I have no issue with fireworks in general, especially over the 4th but if my neighbor had an issue I would likely respect that.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:23 PM   #44
fatlazyless

Not all New Hampshire fireworks related injuries are accidental. This one on April 15, 2013 was intended and had three deaths and several hundred injured people.

Google this: "Tsarnaev Brothers fireworks New Hampshire."
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #45
HellRaZoR004

FLL, probably a little insensitive with your post...
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #46
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

I am proud to not participate in this thread.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 PM   #47
ApS

Thumbs up Jane Goodall's Message...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Check again...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...n-bombing.html

BTW: I reported (here) finding a mortar floating off Thomas Point.

Quote:

"Winter", "hunting", "dynamics", "deer", "banned", "peace", "fun", "kill", "screaming", "natural", "hike", "scare", "traffic-jams", "enjoyment", "the next guy", "yelling", "Spring", "fortunate", "boat-traffic", "obsessed", "lake-changes", "summer", "bottom-line", "crowds", "quiet", "short-vacations", "stupidity", "tragic", "unnecessary"...

This thread is in the "Pets" forum.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:20 AM   #48
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Check again...

"Winter", "hunting", "dynamics", "deer", "banned", "peace", "fun", "kill", "screaming", "natural", "hike", "scare", "traffic-jams", "enjoyment", "the next guy", "yelling", "Spring", "fortunate", "boat-traffic", "obsessed", "lake-changes", "summer", "bottom-line", "crowds", "quiet", "short-vacations", "stupidity", "tragic", "unnecessary"...

You're confused? Try reading one of your posts
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #49
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
Wow, and that's never happened before!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #50
ApS

Talking When Hiking, Don't Scare Domesticated Deer...

Quote:

Clearer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
You're confused? Try reading one of your posts
Didn't you know that "empathy works both ways"?

Humans should feel empathy for the terror that fireworks bring to dogs? And...

Dogs should feel empathy for the terror that fireworks bring to humans?

If there's still confusion—if having actually read MAXUM's post—is that nearly all this post is not germane to the forum devoted to PETS—Note the introduction:

"Everyone loves their pets. Especially when they're enjoying time at the lake with us."

The subject of fireworks—in general—needs a new thread. I suggest, "General Issues".

(That is, unless you've domesticated a Whitetail).

Old 09-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #51
RTTOOL
Banned

Quote:
Clearer?

Didn't you know that "empathy works both ways"?

Humans should feel empathy for the terror that fireworks bring to dogs? And...

Dogs should feel empathy for the terror that fireworks bring to humans?

If there's still confusion—if having actually read MAXUM's post—is that nearly all this post is not germane to the forum devoted to PETS—Note the introduction:

"Everyone loves their pets. Especially when they're enjoying time at the lake with us."

The subject of fireworks—in general—needs a new thread. I suggest, "General Issues".

(That is, unless you've domesticated a Whitetail).

Is this what happens when we get old we find thing to complain about. or is it just do as i say all threw life telling people what they can do and not to do.
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #52
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Clearer?

Yes, it is clear that, as usual, you parse and cobble things together with zero context.

Regarding empathy for animals, I have a great deal of it (3 rescue cats, one rescue dog and a groundhog living under my deck). Most dogs are not afraid of fireworks. Some dogs are afraid of a lot of things.

My dog is not fearful of fireworks, nor are the other 3 that share our vacation house in Suissevale, which has its fair share of folks that like fireworks. I am not saying I appreciate being woken up by fireworks, but when it happens I shut the window, turn the AC onto fan and fall back to sleep!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:26 AM   #53
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

My dog is afraid of everything. Fireworks, loud noises, rain, wind, you name it. Give her an excuse to shake and she will. Poor little thing. It 's so sad to be so scared of everything.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:44 AM   #54
Skip

Wink Who????

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
My dog is afraid of everything. Fireworks, loud noises, rain, wind, you name it. Give her an excuse to shake and she will. Poor little thing. It 's so sad to be so scared of everything.
Oops...your dog. I had to read the post twice, first time through I thought you were referencing one of our more pontificating posters!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 AM   #55
winni83

Appreciate
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #56
HomeWood

Fireworks in general are obnoxious and if you've seen one you've seen them all. The ones that fire them off after a reasonable hour are the ones that irk me the most.

In addition to pets...how about those suffering from PTSD? Imagine coming home from overseas with nightmares and serious issues only to hear similar sounds being created for fun at inappropriate times of the night. This is a real trigger for some.

Fireworks are legal, so carry on if you must. But a little discretion with them would be appreciated by many.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #57
Puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
Fireworks in general are obnoxious and if you've seen one you've seen them all. The ones that fire them off after a reasonable hour are the ones that irk me the most.

In addition to pets...how about those suffering from PTSD? Imagine coming home from overseas with nightmares and serious issues only to hear similar sounds being created for fun at inappropriate times of the night. This is a real trigger for some.

Fireworks are legal, so carry on if you must. But a little discretion with them would be appreciated by many.
Case in point: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...-veterans.html
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #58
ApS

Arrow PTSD in Dogs Is Possible, But We DO Know Dogs Experience REM Sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post

I agree but, as expected, others have different views:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
earplugs work wonders for fun sponges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
You've described this "teacup" poodle here last year.

What happens if this snowflake is approached by a Chipmunk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Oops...your dog. I had to read the post twice, first time through I thought you were referencing one of our more pontificating posters!
You mean, meee...?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:52 PM   #59
Skip

Thumbs up

Quote:

You mean, meee...?

Your grasp of the obvious is simply amazing.....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 04:42 AM   #60
tis

My little one is aggressive when she sees birds or chipmunks. If she is afraid she doesn't show it!!
Old 09-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #61
Woody38

Our Poodles have a distaste for squirrels and chipmunks. Oddly, they enjoy the deer and turkeys in the yard
Attached Images

Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 AM   #62
Barney Bear

Default Tasty 🦌 🦃

How do your poodles like their wild game prepared? 😁
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM   #63
ApS

Wink Even More Pontification...

Does your dog appreciate you more than food?

Dog owners already know: a look into your dog's eyes can tell. Now, research shows that your face triggers genuine affection.

News Alert: Science discovers what we already knew:

Excerpt:
Quote:
"...If the animals are aware of their suffering — and I think they are — we ought to reconsider their treatment.

This research makes it clear that animals have brains with the capacity to feel many of the emotions we do..."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/08/s...gs-brains.html

(No word yet, on cats...)

Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #64
tis

Woody, he looks just like my white guy!! He is adorable!!
Old 09-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #65
Woody38

Default Food prep

Barney,
Our poodles like it any way I prepare it.
I usually say I don't fed them anything I wouldn't eat.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #66
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
How do your poodles like their wild game prepared? ��
My two dogs love fresh sautéed deer heart and liver. They are very happy when I have a successful season.

In this case I feed them something I won't eat...
Old 09-27-2017, 06:31 AM   #67
dpg

We're in Suissevale and they can get a bit annoying weekend after weekend but "it is what it is" get the law changed! I'm basically a weekender from Mass and still get a bit tired of hearing them. Oh and for the record my dog stands outside and actually will watch them! haha...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote