Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
hoytglp

Default Water driveways

Are there such a thing? This past weekend we were three boats anchored in the Varneys, next to the loon nesting area and maybe 50 feet apart,no other boats around until this approximately 24 foot boat came into view heading right for us at maximum wake speed. Name of the boat I think was Pieces with an older couple in it. The captain decided to go right between two of the boats maybe 15 or 20 feet from them,as someone hollered " is the lake big enough for you", then the older women stood up and said "WE LIVE RIGHT THERE" she pointed to a small island 300 yards away so we all figured we must of been in there driveway duh.
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytglp View Post
Are there such a thing? This past weekend we were three boats anchored in the Varneys, next to the loon nesting area and maybe 50 feet apart,no other boats around until this approximately 24 foot boat came into view heading right for us at maximum wake speed. Name of the boat I think was Pieces with an older couple in it. The captain decided to go right between two of the boats maybe 15 or 20 feet from them,as someone hollered " is the lake big enough for you", then the older women stood up and said "WE LIVE RIGHT THERE" she pointed to a small island 300 yards away so we all figured we must of been in there driveway duh.
Iiiiiiiidiots. Wow that just about takes the cake now doesn't it?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
OCDACTIVE

WOW... I am still astonished that things like this surprise me...but this one definately does... However, I know of many times that people who live on shore do not like people anchoring in "THEIR" bay. So they make it as difficult as possilbe for them. I have heard in discussions of people deliberately slowing down to cause maximum wake speed to disrupt rafters.

I remember once rafting in a bay in front of camp belknap. This was years ago. We were 500 yards across the bay from them. The camps sail boats used the bay but it is nice and sheltered and we wouldn't bother them. Well the camp director came out saying it was illegal to be there. At the time I had a 17 ft whaler and he said to me (no lie) it was illegal to be standing in the boat!.. Anyway, we called the MP and they said it was fine to be there.

Just goes to show you that people not only think they have "water driveways" but "bays" that are theirs...
Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Thumbs down As I mention in a previous thread

Some woman called the MP and told them that I was anchored in front of her property. When the MP showed up, he said I was not breaking any laws but politely ask me to move elsewhere. Some bigwig's wife???
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
rick35

A few years ago around dusk a man and woman anchored their sailboat in the cove we're on no more than 150 feet from our dock. We watched the man pour wine for his lady friend and they proceeded to enjoy the quiet of "our" cove. I was sure there was another place they could be and vented to my wife until they finished their wine and went below into the cabin. At this point it was almost dark and I figured they were planning on spending the night. Wrong. I called the marine patrol and told them we had uninvited visitors. When the MP arrived they proceeded to give the sailor a very thorough safety inspection after which they told our "guest" to be on his way. We occasionally get daytime visitors but they usually only stay long enough to enjoy a swim and move on. While I'd like to think its our private cove there's not much we can do about it. Just don't think about spending the night.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
VtSteve

I've been both a lakefront resident and for the week boater on Winni. It was easier to be a lakefront owner snob. None of this and none of that. We could ,mind you, just not You

I'm all for people privacy, and 150' from someone's dock would annoy me. I'd never consider doing it, but many do. So there you have it. Inconsiderate people that don't care about other people's privacy being trampled by inconsiderate people that don't think anyone else has any rights at all. I just wonder how these situations develop?
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
ApS

Default "Unsafe Passage" Redux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
"...the camp director came out saying it was illegal to be there. At the time I had a 17 ft whaler and he said to me (no lie) it was illegal to be standing in the boat!...we called the MP and they said it was fine to be there..."
While standing in your boat has never been illegal and—depending on what year that incident occurred—the NHMP Boater's Guide did have a paragraph warning against it. That quote was excerpted to this forum just last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
"...Some woman called the MP and told them that I was anchored in front of her property..."
That must have occurred years ago. Nobody anchors in front of my shoreline any longer because of today's maximum-wake-speed "violence". (Wakes increase in violence as they approach the shallows near shore).

Even boaters who prefer their privacy far from shore still get a good dose of that "maximum wake speed" effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...It was easier to be a lakefront owner snob..."
...and...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Iiiiiiiidiots. Wow that just about takes the cake now doesn't it?
1) There's nothing wrong with being lakefront residents.

2) The only violation in this case happens to be New Hampshire's most frequently-violated rule for boaters: Unsafe Passage.

3) Even "certificate-boaters" will shrug off a speed that leaves an obnoxious wake. Nobody seems to realize a wake above headway speed can have consequences to anchored or drifting visitors.

4) Not to excuse boaters lacking consideration for the other boaters around them, that "driveway" could have been a safe—and familiar—path through an invisible field of boulders.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default If you think that's bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytglp View Post
Just try kayaking through their back yard and you best not be looking at their "Loon Nesting" area. The lady (we have another name for her that fit her better) was threating to run us down if we didn't leave the area "right now".

There is an interesting story about just how they came by that piece of land. The story goes: the man of the property (we have another name for him as well) had one of his employees search all the back records for a back taxes loopholes on island property. Once they found it... well, "the rest is history" as they say. The family they cheated out that property was one our members at WCYC. I have no personal knowledge of this nefarious deed, just hearsay from one of the founding members. However, if their actions speak for anything, then it must be true.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
SIKSUKR

Huh? I don't understand some of these posts? The water is open to ANYONE. What the heck is maximum wake speed suppose to mean? The speed at which one makes the biggest wake I guess. Loopholes on back taxes? I'm confused what the point is here.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:26 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Default What can a boater do?

It is getting so that we can't raft anywhere or anchor anywhere. Public docks are crowded as it is. I just can't understand why we can't anchor a few hundred feet offshore and enjoy the lake? And I mean a few hundred feet where I am not in front of someone's property. I was not in front of the lady's property and I was several hundred feet out. I had to move!

My Grandfather, father and I were waterfront owners on this lake and we didn't have a problem with people rafting or anchoring if they are 200 feet out. We do find Boneheads that are loud and litter very annoying. I don't think boaters in general are annoying.

The biggest problem, I believe, is the lack of public land on Lake Winnipesaukee, where boaters can anchor off the shore.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
woodswalk

The way I see it as a waterfront owner, is just the way it is!
IT IS NOT MY WATER!!
It is a view. Views change.
so what if someone steps into it for a while.
And yes, (here we go) Even fishermen quietly floating in front of the house.
Big deal! I just ask how they're biting.
If it's a distraction like drunkedness or littering that's different, but I've only had one instance over the years where a fisherman was casting too close to the g-kids while they were swimming.
woodswalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #12
Woodsy

Default Its the me, me, me, property owners!

I will probably get some flak for this but....

The lakes and streams of NH including Lake Winnipesaukee (to the high water mark) belong to ALL of the residents of NH.... not just the waterfront property owners. This essentially makes the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee a public park. Free to be used and enjoyed by ALL!

The state has recognized that the waterfront property owners do have a few Littoral Rights that members of the public are not granted, such as docks, moorings, swim areas etc. to facilitate access and use of thier property. For instance Joe Public cannot anchor his boat in such a way as to prevent a property owner from accessing his dock.

The problem is not the boater anchored off the shoreline... he/she is just exercising thier RIGHT (this will be important) to enjoy the public waters. The problem lies with the property owner who feels that they (and they alone) are entitled to dictate the use of the PUBLIC water in front of thier property ( the usual argument is "because they pay ridiculous taxes). The reality is that they have NO RIGHTS (other than the Littoral ones mentioned above) to say anything. If Joe Public want to anchor or fish his boat 10 feet off your shoreline, there isnt anything you can do about it as long as he doesnt impede your access or egress.

It's these same waterfront me, me, me, I, I, I types that have shut down Ames Farm and ruined the most popular spots on the lake with no-rafting zones.

Woodsy

PS: Not all waterfront property owners are like this, in fact I think its the minority.... but its a very LOUD minority!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #13
woodswalk

Thanks, Woodsy!

a lot of folks out there that should read your post 50 times or so until it sinks in.

Enjoy the lake.

But why would someone move elsewhere if they were 150 ft out even if mp asked them? Then again, mp must get pretty tired of the same old calls from the same whiners all the time.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Woodswalk......you have a heart of gold......do you mind telling us where you live so that we can send a few excess rafters your way?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:31 AM   #15
woodswalk

LOL!- Sounds like you get a regular jamboree. That must be a pain at times.
About nine years ago mp stopped by and asked who gave a fisherman the riot act the previous day. Ended up being my visiting m-in-law visiting from NC while i was at work. she was waterfront down there and I guess that was the common thing.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
A few years ago around dusk a man and woman anchored their sailboat in the cove we're on no more than 150 feet from our dock. We watched the man pour wine for his lady friend and they proceeded to enjoy the quiet of "our" cove. I was sure there was another place they could be and vented to my wife until they finished their wine and went below into the cabin. At this point it was almost dark and I figured they were planning on spending the night. Wrong. I called the marine patrol and told them we had uninvited visitors. When the MP arrived they proceeded to give the sailor a very thorough safety inspection after which they told our "guest" to be on his way. We occasionally get daytime visitors but they usually only stay long enough to enjoy a swim and move on. While I'd like to think its our private cove there's not much we can do about it. Just don't think about spending the night.
If a similar situation where to happen to me, and I was bothered, by it I think I would handle the situation differently. Without a word, I would simply go out to the end of my dock with a a cocktail, a lawn chair, and spotting scope and focus it on them. After a while I'm guessing they would notice and start to feel a little bit uncomfortable and find somewhere else to go where they could get more privacy.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
Mink Islander

Default No, it's the me, me, me boaters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I will probably get some flak for this but....

The lakes and streams of NH including Lake Winnipesaukee (to the high water mark) belong to ALL of the residents of NH.... not just the waterfront property owners. This essentially makes the waters of Lake Winnipesaukee a public park. Free to be used and enjoyed by ALL!

The state has recognized that the waterfront property owners do have a few Littoral Rights that members of the public are not granted, such as docks, moorings, swim areas etc. to facilitate access and use of thier property. For instance Joe Public cannot anchor his boat in such a way as to prevent a property owner from accessing his dock.

The problem is not the boater anchored off the shoreline... he/she is just exercising thier RIGHT (this will be important) to enjoy the public waters. The problem lies with the property owner who feels that they (and they alone) are entitled to dictate the use of the PUBLIC water in front of thier property ( the usual argument is "because they pay ridiculous taxes). The reality is that they have NO RIGHTS (other than the Littoral ones mentioned above) to say anything. If Joe Public want to anchor or fish his boat 10 feet off your shoreline, there isnt anything you can do about it as long as he doesnt impede your access or egress.

It's these same waterfront me, me, me, I, I, I types that have shut down Ames Farm and ruined the most popular spots on the lake with no-rafting zones.

Woodsy

PS: Not all waterfront property owners are like this, in fact I think its the minority.... but its a very LOUD minority!
As is so often said here, it's really about common sense and common courtesy. The latter seems to be an especially dying art. What you have the right to do and what is the "right" thing to do are not always the same thing. It's usually when someone starts to enforce their "rights" -- real or imagined, landowner or boater -- that tensions rise. And usually it involves a high level of insensitivity to (or lack of empathy for ) the other side's perspective.

Fundamentally, I don't think this is a "class warfare" issue of boaters vs. landowners. There are reasonable and not so reasonable folks out there on both sides -- thankfully not too many of either!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:20 AM   #18
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodswalk View Post
The way I see it as a waterfront owner, is just the way it is!
IT IS NOT MY WATER!!
It is a view. Views change.
so what if someone steps into it for a while.
And yes, (here we go) Even fishermen quietly floating in front of the house.
Big deal! I just ask how they're biting.
If it's a distraction like drunkedness or littering that's different, but I've only had one instance over the years where a fisherman was casting too close to the g-kids while they were swimming.
My house is on the water and I have a permanent dock that attracts a lot of fisherman. No problem at all. I also like to fish so go right ahead. The only problem I have is when they land their lures on my canvas and rip it (Has happened many times) One time I actually got hit in the back (didn't hook) cleaning my transom.... If it was one freak occassion I would not even bring it up, but this has happend numerous times.

I used to politely ask them to leave which of course became a heated discussion and just ruins my weekend fun.

So a friend of mine in Virginia with a similar problem (on a river) showed me the best solution which has worked ever since.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy one of those Stampers. You know the pole with a flat iron side to stamp down loose dirt / gravel to level it out for building patio's and such....

Anyway, I have one on the dock. If I see people casting right near the dock or boats I calmly and quietly walk down to the dock pick this stamper up and drop it on the dock. The noise is like a gun shot and the vibrations scare any fish away for a hundred feet or more.

The fisherman usually just give me a nasty look and leave..

Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
woodswalk

OCD,
I don't think those folks are called fishermen.
Another word comes to mind.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #20
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Some interesting stuff here

Well as always in the forum, we have the land owners, the Marina crowd and the day boaters. And of course a discussion like this always seem to heat up.

Being a land owner I say this,

The water is there for everyone to enjoy...

No I don't have an issue with some or two anchored in front of my place as long as the keep a reasonable distance and don't block me from comming in and out of my dock.

And as a normal rule I have no issues with kayaker and conoes who paddle by at the end of the dock.

Last I don't have issue with those fisherman who scoot along the shore either...

What I do have issue with is the fisherman like OCD discribe who don't do it considerately, and instead hook boat covers, snag rocks and cut the line, leaving it to happen... yes OCD I have been there too....

I also don't like it if some is out infront of my property with their radio so loud that I can here it like I am at a concert.

Bottom line, if people use common sense all is ok..... but they don't and they become inconsiderate, and that is why we have these problems

Many of the anchoring sites have become no rafting zones, not because mean short front owner are claiming rights to the lake in front of there house, but because, there are those that are inconciterate, blasting music and creating havic..... These areas, start out with one or two boaters finding a good spot, and then over time become over crowded because everyone wants to be there...... and at times they block access for land owners,,, I know of one or two prime examples of this.

At anyrate if people use there heads, and when a cove is full don't try and jam there boat in, play music at reasonable levels, there probably wouldn't be as many complaints or restrictions on anchoring and rafting.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #21
4Fun

Quote:

This is exactly the problem Rick. How do I politely say "Mind your own business"

If I was that sailboat I wouldn't move one inch when asked by MP. I would just tell them "I'll go when I'm ready to go"

Quit taking form me what you do not own.
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #22
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
This is exactly the problem Rick. How do I politely say "Mind your own business"

If I was that sailboat I wouldn't move one inch when asked by MP. I would just tell them "I'll go when I'm ready to go"

Quit taking form me what you do not own.

I would agree with you to a point. It is illegal to anchor overnight. So if it was past dusk then the MP has every right to have them move on their way.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #23
SAMIAM

Of all the posts on this subject....I think LIforrelaxin said it best. Some shore owners are overly touchy and some boaters seem to have a chip on their shoulder about their "right" to go anywhere. As LI said, a little common sense and courtesy would go a long way. Everyone should enjoy the lakes, but imagine being in your back yard with your family and have a carload of strangers unload their food, stereo and toys and proceed to have a party right under your nose.....and that's exactly what a few, but not many rafters do.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #24
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Of all the posts on this subject....I think LIforrelaxin said it best. Some shore owners are overly touchy and some boaters seem to have a chip on their shoulder about their "right" to go anywhere. As LI said, a little common sense and courtesy would go a long way. Everyone should enjoy the lakes, but imagine being in your back yard with your family and have a carload of strangers unload their food, stereo and toys and proceed to have a party right under your nose.....and that's exactly what a few, but not many rafters do.

Samiam, you are 100% correct.. The only problem is you can't teach common sense.... I think if people stay 150 ft off shore and don't draw attention to themselves then there wouldn't be an issue.

PS. good meeting you a couple of weeks ago, ironic how we bumped into each other.

Take care.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #25
4Fun

Quote:
I would agree with you to a point. It is illegal to anchor overnight. So if it was past dusk then the MP has every right to have them move on their way.
It's not illegal to anchor AT night though. Maybe they were just going below for some private time before they moved on, Maybe the bugs were landing in their wine, my point is if they are not breaking the law do not hassle them and MYOB.

Rick, Look at the pictures in any boating or sailing magazine. This IS what people do with there boats.

If they are making excessive noise, littering etc, by all means call the MP but don't call to be a PIA if you only suspect their intentions are to stay overnight.

Samiam, Courtesy on both sides is needed but remember if you build your house next to a public area that has historically been used by the public for things as outrageous as drinking wine on a sailboat at dusk. You have to live with it.

I have been hassled by a land owner after anchoring maybe 200ft off there property. We just wanted to find a place out of the wind to eat lunch. No music, no swimming, no noise. They had there son drive a remote controlled boat out to us with a note taped to it saying "Go Home" Next time that boat is going to get torpedoed.

Maybe we should start calling the local PD and complain about harrasment. "Hi I am at a public park and the people next to me are harrasing me. Can you send a cruiser over to take care of them."
Old 06-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #26
fatlazyless

Boaters are attracted to Timber Island as a spot to anchor just because it is an uninhabited, and wooded shoreline. it's a 136 acre island with miles of shoreline and almost zero shoreline residents. No ones there to bother you, and there's no rule against standing on the sandy bottom, as long as you is in the water.

NH could have bought the whole island as a state island area for dirt cheap $1.6mil in 2001, but that's another story.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Boaters are attracted to Timber Island as a spot to anchor just because it is an uninhabited, and wooded shoreline. it's a 136 acre island with miles of shoreline and almost zero shoreline residents. No ones there to bother you, and there's no rule against standing on the sandy bottom, as long as you is in the water.

NH could have bought the whole island as a state island area for dirt cheap $1.6mil in 2001, but that's another story.
I will try over there.. I prefer the same thing as the residents. No one to bother and no one to bother me
Old 06-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #28
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Yeah, and if Judd Gregg had donated his $800,000 lottery winnings to the State, the State could have bought it for 1/2 price!

SS, Where are you?? I need help burying the dead horse.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #29
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Fun View Post
It's not illegal to anchor AT night though.
Sorry I mean Overnight.. picky picky

But I do agree with you.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #30
BroadHopper

Quote:

After LRCT took over the island, someone in a wood boat and another time in a pontoon boat was going around the island telling everyone they can't anchor or raft off the shore. For a while no one would go there. Now I see a number of people anchoring, rafting off Timber Island. I don't see or hear of anyone telling people to leave. I wonder what's up with that?????
Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #31
Woodsy

The problem lies in what a waterfront property owner might think is reasonable vs. what an anchored boater might think is reasonable. The laws are on the side of the boater.

Unfortunately, those who own waterfront property abut what is essentially a state park. While its very desireable to abut such a beautiful park, it has its downfalls. Its not your "cove" or your "backyard" You have to put up with Joe Public. Joe Public can be annoyingly noisy guy. You knew that going in! If I were the sailboater mentioned in Post #5 I would have politely told the MP to leave me alone...

What I find humorous is the perception that being anchored off the shoreline is somehow inconsiderate?? I dont quite get that. The property line ends at the high water mark... PERIOD! If someone anchors thier boat off your property and proceed to enjoy themselves... lunch, swim, music, etc. Its no different than a group of people playing frisbee in a park. While Joe Public has a RIGHT to enjoy the lake/park as they see fit, the waterfront property owner/park abutter does not have ANY RIGHTS (other than the Littoral rights mentioned above) past thier property line which for the lake is the high water mark!

It is precisely the NIMBY attitude of some waterfront property owners that has resulted in the many no rafting zones... the more no rafting zones we have, the more people have to spread out into other areas of the lake.

I am a considerate boater... I have never anchored in front of someones property and certainly have never caused an annoyance. However I have a serious problem when a property onwer THINKS that he/she has RIGHTS that somehow trump mine.... that is certainly not the case or the law here in NH!

Woodsy
Old 06-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #32
Sman

I have been on both sides of this as both a owner of waterfront property where a fisherman is casting in between the docks where there are boats and as a passenger on someones boat anchored off of an island when someone did not like it, eventhough there was no house there.

In both cases I was right, just kidding but that is how it feels at the time.

So you have to share it and be respectfull, just not always easy, because it is my lake!

If I complained to people that I know that do not have a lake house that fisherman were casting at my dock and that is a problem for me, I am pretty sure I would get laughed at, however not cool to damage someones boat/boat cover.
Sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
Merrymeeting

In almost all examples, what comes across over and over is the need for courtesy and common sense.

Many of us, me included, are both landowner and boater. I've seen and experienced both sides. I enjoy a good raft party or anchor spot as much as the next guy. It's one of the reasons I live on the lake. I enjoy talking to the fishermen who float by, or the kyakers who greet me while I'm having my morning coffee. Or greeting others as I row by them.

I do get upset with the ones who feel the need to cast within a foot (or closer!) to my moored, canvas-covered boat, or the ones who think that their music should be enjoyed by everyone within a 3 mile radius.

But, let's forget about the issue of landowner vs boater for a minute. Imagine we are all in the public park (or water as the case may be). You and your family have just set up your picnic and are enjoying a nice sunny day in the park. Enter the Nocommonsense family, who proceed to setup their party less than 5' from where you are enjoying your family. They unload the boom box, let the kids run wild over your blanket, and proceed to ruin your previously enjoyable day.

I'd suggest that the issue is the same in this scenario. It has nothing to do with landowners vs boaters. It's about common sense, courtesy, and respect.

Most landowners and boaters I know enjoy the company and interaction with the others, as long as that respect and common sense prevails. But if you've ruined my picnic by being inconsiderate, I'm going to want to do something about it, whether we're both on private or public land.

Last edited by Merrymeeting; 06-04-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:05 PM   #34
beagle

Default just curious about loon sanctuary rules

We live near the loon sanctuary in the Varneys and noticed boats rafting right next to the sign stating "Loon Sanctuary Keep Out" during Memorial Day weekend. Not that I care about boats rafting, but we were wondering why so close to our resident loons. Are there any rules about staying away from these areas? At the cape, they close whole sections of beach for the piping plovers during nesting season. It would make me very unhappy if the loons couldn't nest. It also makes me very mad when I see people in power boats or kayaks chasing the loons in the cove to get a closer look.
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #35
jmen24

I believe that is what the sign is doing, keeping people from getting to close to the loons.

Sounds like we need a sign, warning of the sign that warning of the loon nesting area, again definitely need a tongue in cheek smiley..

I am just being smart, but it would be nice if folks would not bother the wildlife and just observe from a distance. Reminds me of going to the great north woods and witnessing folks chasing moose with their huge spot lights from 50 feet away. Very discouraging to see.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #36
DC Pointer

I live in a pretty popular rafting cove. Ask me how many times I have seen folks swim to my property with their pets and let them (or try to let them) do their business on my frontage. I have had several nasty encounters with folks. I also love the trash that washes up on my shore as well from the inconsiderate. It goes both ways.
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #37
VtSteve

Two years ago, there were a few bass boaters that just loved to maneuver their crafts via trolling motors between and around my dock. Not a problem for me, until I watched him not only move inside and in front of my boat, but when leaving, hit it I was not far away so I ran down to see what happened. Not a mark thankfully. Not a word from him either as he moved slowly right to the other side.

Being so arrogant, I felt the need to comment. dumba$$
But "most" fishermen I know couldn't give a rat's behind about boats or the water, they only endure the boat ride to get fish.

Living on the water has many drawbacks, and obvious benefits for those that not only appreciate them, but crave them. For me it was always being on the water, not just looking at it. The cruising, exploring, some diving, just fun. There are definite advantages to being on a huge lake that isn't congested. I look forward to anchoring on the beaches, heading into town or across to my favorite restaurant & hangout. It's much harder to enjoy things than it used to be, but boaters persevere.

Life is a finite pleasure, so they say. Some need to get the poles out of their arses and lighten up, other need to realize that they act like spoiled kids and need to grow up. I'm afraid that there's so many on each side, that the lake will not return to a happy place in my lifetime.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #38
Ropetow

Quote:
Life is a finite pleasure, so they say. Some need to get the poles out of their arses and lighten up, other need to realize that they act like spoiled kids and need to grow up. I'm afraid that there's so many on each side, that the lake will not return to a happy place in my lifetime.
As the Monty Python folks put it, "Society is to blame."
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:59 PM   #39
rick35

I think its reasonable for a property owner to expect some privacy. While the law may allow a boater to anchor off my property I have to ask why. There are lots of places on the lake that are more private. I would think a boater would want his privacy just as I want mine.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #40
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Well said, Rick. I think that sums it up very well! I hate sitting on the beach and staring at someone who is close. And I can't imagine why they would want to be so close to stare at me!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM   #41
MJM

Default Perspective

I think there is also another contributing factor: perspective.

From the land, a boat anchored off-shore can look a lot closer than the land looks from the boat. I can easily see where people im a boat may be thinking they are plenty far away, but if they could see it from shore, they'd realize they are closer than they thought.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #42
ApS

Smile "If You Think That's Bad", Part II...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
"...I can't imagine why they would want to be so close to stare at me...!"
C'mon, tis—yer fishin'!

Quote:
"...Samiam...good meeting you a couple of weeks ago..."
It was the license tag, wasn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers View Post
"...If you think that's bad..."
We actually seem to have it pretty good on Lake Winnipesaukee.

For a few LOLs, check out the Boston Whaler forum on this very subject:

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/011030.html

Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #43
codeman671

Quote:
That is what fireworks are for...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #44
SLI

Default boathouse door

It has become a joke in our family. Almost every weekend we get people fishing behind our breakwater next to our dock. Our boathouse door is right there. If the door is open, they cast into the boathouse @ our boat. If the door is closed, we joke about opening it for them. Usually just going down to the dock is enough to get them moving along!
SLI
SLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #45
Lakegeezer

Quote:
I think its reasonable for a property owner to expect some privacy. While the law may allow a boater to anchor off my property I have to ask why. There are lots of places on the lake that are more private. I would think a boater would want his privacy just as I want mine.
There really aren't that many private spots any more. Many of the spots I used to enjoy just 15 years ago now have homes, and the few nice spots that are left have become crowded on weekends. In my view, it was the home owner that invaded public space, and must accept the occasional company that comes with the location. If a homeowner is around, it is polite to anchor a bit farther away and keep it civil, but that is about it. Thank goodness for the off-season, when there are fewer second home-owners around to complain.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #46
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Yeah, and if Judd Gregg had donated his $800,000 lottery winnings to the State, the State could have bought it for 1/2 price!

SS, Where are you?? I need help burying the dead horse.
Sorry,I was rafting between this yellow raft and somebodys camp across from LI.Great place to hang out if you guys like having someone yell at you!I think Judd Gregg should have bought that place too.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #47
SAMIAM

Woodsy makes a good point about the high water mark. Since the water is generally low in the summer months, many people, including myself have 15 or 20' of exposed beach which is not ours, according to your fomula. Guess that means that you could beach your boat, haul out you boom box, chairs, umbrella and beer and just have party.
Woodswalk says you're welcome at his place any time.

Good to meet you too,OCD....still drooling over your boat! The minute I saw it, I knew it was you.....not many like it.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #48
hazelnut

Quote:
Woodsy makes a good point about the high water mark. Since the water is generally low in the summer months,many people,including myself have 15 or 20' of exposed beach which is not ours, according to your fomula. Guess that means that you could beach your boat, haul out you boom box, chairs, umbrella and beer and just have party.

Good to meet you too,OCD....still drooling over your boat! The minute I saw it, I knew it was you.....not many like it.
Also, I recall in another thread doesn't NH Law specify that trespassing is not automatic? Meaning don't you need "No Trespassing" signs on your property if you don't want people there? So by right someone could potentially do as SAMIAM states without actually breaking the law even if they set up camp above the high water mark?

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #49
Charlie T

Default I don't own waterfront but

I don't own waterfront property but I do own 200 ft off the waterfront. I also own a boat and it would seem common courtesy would dictate that there should be a "buffer zone" of maybe 50 - 100 ft off shore from privately owned waterfront property. I don't ever anchor, stop, play loud music, fish etc within that distance of privately owned waterfront. To do so would be rude and inconsiderate. Though the lake is publically owned there should be consideration shown for the rights of the taxpayers who own the waterfront land. This lake is filled with people who use it for free, those people should show some consideration to those whose tax dollars pay to allow them that privilege. As I said, I am a NH (Gilford) tax payer but not a waterfront owner. I would never invade a waterfront owner’s space.

Just my opinion.

Charlie T
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #50
SAMIAM

Default Bunch of slackers

Just noticed that 76% of the replies on this thread come in durring working hours.......what a bunch of SLACKERS.And here you are supposed to be working.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #51
Charlie T

Default Posting times

And isn't lunch hour supposed to be a busy time for the restaurant business?
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #52
ironhorsetim

Wink

I just hope nobody is using a company computer

now back to your regular program.....

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #53
C_Duff

Quote:
It is getting so that we can't raft anywhere or anchor anywhere. Public docks are crowded as it is. I just can't understand why we can't anchor a few hundred feet offshore and enjoy the lake? And I mean a few hundred feet where I am not in front of someone's property. I was not in front of the lady's property and I was several hundred feet out. I had to move!
To me the problem is not that people are anchoring off someone's land or dock, it seems that some people are not taking into consideration the soreline and other traffic situations.

I'll give an example. We have a house in the norther part of Winter Harbor, usually the traffic is light even on weekends, but sometimes we'll have someone, or someones decide to anchor right off our dock leaving us no room to maneuver getting in or out of our dock. If they were just a little bit down the shore line (either direction) or just a little bit further away from the shore, it would not be any problems.

So I guess what I am saying it is a 2-way street. Land owners need to relax and understand they don't own the lake in front of their property, and boaters need to keep other people's considerations in mind when they pick their rafting locations.
C_Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #54
Formula260SS

Quote:
Just noticed that 76% of the replies on this thread come in durring working hours.......what a bunch of SLACKERS.And here you are supposed to be working.
Maybe there is no work to do.......and that my friends is the "other" problem
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #55
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Woodsy makes a good point about the high water mark. Since the water is generally low in the summer months, many people, including myself have 15 or 20' of exposed beach which is not ours, according to your fomula. Guess that means that you could beach your boat, haul out you boom box, chairs, umbrella and beer and just have party.

Thanks Man.. Just filled her up and splashed her. Having my trailer serviced so I can trailer her to virginia to rip it up...

Having a beer on my dock right now, looking at her, while my two year old naps.. Life is good..

Should be around most weekends now... May make some runs to Portsmouth but just let me know when you want to go for a ride and you can stop drooling.. You can start crying from the wind
Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM   #56
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Even in good times M-F 9-5 was always the most active time for this site with lunchtime the peek. Weekend days have about half the traffic of weekdays.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #57
hazelnut

Quote:
Thanks Man.. Just filled her up and splashed her. Having my trailer serviced so I can trailer her to virginia to rip it up...

Having a beer on my dock right now, looking at her, while my two year old naps.. Life is good..

Should be around most weekends now... May make some runs to Portsmouth but just let me know when you want to go for a ride and you can stop drooling.. You can start crying from the wind
I AM sufficiently JEALOUS of your current status!!!! Dockside???? On a Thursday!!!! Ok well the shoe is on the other foot come June 25th when school gets out and I head to the island for the summer!!!!!

So I'll probably see you this weekend, swing by the island. Will the 2 year old be in tow. Besides my twin 5 year old boys I have a 2 year old daughter. Your 2 year old is more than welcome to come on over and hang with my crew. Enjoy the day, I hope to be on the island no later than 5pm tomorrow!!!!!
Old 06-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #58
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
I AM sufficiently JEALOUS of your current status!!!! Dockside???? On a Thursday!!!! Ok well the shoe is on the other foot come June 25th when school gets out and I head to the island for the summer!!!!!

So I'll probably see you this weekend, swing by the island. Will the 2 year old be in tow. Besides my twin 5 year old boys I have a 2 year old daughter. Your 2 year old is more than welcome to come on over and hang with my crew. Enjoy the day, I hope to be on the island no later than 5pm tomorrow!!!!!
Thanks man.. My parents and my wifes parents both have houses within a mile of each other up here..... So they will be watching him Saturday. Tomorrow doing errands before all the guys show up... Oh didn't I mention Guys Weekend.. Me, my son and 3 friends.. Everyone else has to work / has plans so house is ALLLLLLLL MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PARTY LIKE IS WAS 1999!!!

So hoping to swing in after the naswa on Sat. my buddies may join you for a beer but I carry Odouls with me when I am driving the boat. Little rule I have.... I don't even have one and drive anything... But once back on the dock Jack on the Rocks... (want one now but got my son to watch so I gotta be good)

If you get up early tomorrow let me know.. May swing by.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #59
hoytglp

Quote:
rick35 we were not next to his dock we were 300 yards away we weren't invading his privacy or his space. DOES THE WORD DANGEROUS ENTER YOUR MIND? Did you read the original post HE WAS 25 FT. AWAY MAX WAKE SPEED.The law is 150 ft. is it not. What if someone was in the water or does privacy rights cover that?
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #60
KDL

Hi All,
Thought I could add another perspective to this topic. I was one of the three boats with hoytglp last Saturday. We were at least 800' from Captain Pieces island property. We were not invading his privacy or impeding his access to his dock. The last thing we want to do is spoil someone else's enjoyment of the lake, be it land owner or another boater, that is why we anchored by the uninhabited islands. Five days later I'm still trying to figure out what would possess a boat operator to pass between two boats anchored less than 50' apart, at more than no wake speed, when an open, empty lake is available 200' to the left. We are thankful this didn't happen in July or August when swimmers would likely have been in the water. But hey, it'll give us something to talk about all summer! Safe boating to all.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #61
VtSteve

It's called arrogance. I think you'll find that while many will look closely at "some" laws being enforced, they rarely, if ever, think of the ones they break routinely. What "Pieces" did that day is one of my pet peeves, maybe number one on the list. They violated the distance rule, the safe and prudent rule, speed rule, pretty much all of them.

But the thread immediately gravitated to landowner's and boater's rights. Can you possibly imagine any other thread from last year developing this way? The hypocrisy is overwhelming. But at any rate, it just goes to show how far away from reality some people are. Just think of the tickets Pieces' skipper should have been given had an MP been there to witness it. But look at the outcome.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #62
BroadHopper

Thumbs up "Other" problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS View Post
Retirement maybe?????
Old 06-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #63
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula260SS
Originally Posted by Formula260SS

Retirement maybe?????
Or perhaps the old 9-5 model no longer works. With meetings with people in Asia, Europe, and the West coast, my day often starts at 6AM and ends at 11 PM. No such thing as a 9-5 day anymore.

But, this is a topic for another thread...back to the point of water rights, use, and abuse...
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #64
hazelnut

Quote:
It's called arrogance. I think you'll find that while many will look closely at "some" laws being enforced, they rarely, if ever, think of the ones they break routinely. What "Pieces" did that day is one of my pet peeves, maybe number one on the list. They violated the distance rule, the safe and prudent rule, speed rule, pretty much all of them.

But the thread immediately gravitated to landowner's and boater's rights. Can you possibly imagine any other thread from last year developing this way? The hypocrisy is overwhelming. But at any rate, it just goes to show how far away from reality some people are. Just think of the tickets Pieces' skipper should have been given had an MP been there to witness it. But look at the outcome.
GREAT POST. Lost in all of this banter, some of it my own, the real point was the absolute dangerous behavior by captain knucklehead and his wife "Lovey." If I were one of the anchored boats I am not sure I could have kept my composure in that situation. I'm thinking it may have escalated and Marine Patrol would have been called. These people need a reality slap for sure.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #65
KDL

Saturday just had to be the day I left my camera at home. A video clip of the event as it happened would have been priceless.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #66
rick35

hoytglp you misunderstood my post. I was talking about someone anchoring off my property, not what happened to you.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #67
RC246

Ok, as an observer I'll put in my 2 cents of what happened that beautiful day.
The boats anchored, were NO WHERE near the loon area or the shoreline of that island.
In fact, you could have navigated a barge with room to spare to the dock where these older folks where headed without doing what they did. If there had been people in the water it would have been more serious than it was.
Picture yourself and YOUR family in your boat and another boat on a heading right for the transom of your boat faster than max wake speed.
What do you do besides use your horn, yell, and wave or get ready to jump off your boat before the collision occurred.
Needless to say the whole incident would have left a nasty package in the seat of your pants!!

This couple was flat out WRONG, PERIOD.
RC246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:20 AM   #68
TomC

Default if it happened once, it'll happen again

set up the same scenario - this time with a video camera at the ready...

As far as the waterfront/boater rights, if you replace "in the lake, right in front of my beach" with "on the sidewalk, right in front of my house" - it may give a different perspective on the use of public property for recreation and how it impacts the landowner immediately adjacent to it...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:10 AM   #69
OCDACTIVE

Tomc, I think you definately put a very good perspective on the situation. I also feel that there has to be a compromise. If I were coming home and a family had set up a picnic in front of my house by the sidewalk, although I do not own the land and have no "rights" to it, I would still be a bit upset.

Now with that said, while your description has merit, you can not draw a direct comparrison from the sidewalk in front of your house to the lake. People come into coves to get out of the wind / stay out of channels and areas of traveling boat traffic.

In the situation that sparked this thread, it wasn't a group of noisy, littering, annoying boats anchored right off their dock (from the sounds of it). They were not impeding access to the docks. In this case I would totally agree with RC246.. TOTALLY WRONG. While the home owners may not like where they were rafting, they had no right to do what they did.

Even if they thought that the rafters were breaking the law anchoring where they were positioned, it doesn't give them the right to drive that close above no wake speed, plain and simple.

Just my 2 cents. Play on.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 AM   #70
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
set up the same scenario - this time with a video camera at the ready...

As far as the waterfront/boater rights, if you replace "in the lake, right in front of my beach" with "on the sidewalk, right in front of my house" - it may give a different perspective on the use of public property for recreation and how it impacts the landowner immediately adjacent to it...
The analogy of a sidewalk doesn't seem quite right. It is as if you bought a home next to a public park and then objected when people showed up on Saturday to play a game of baseball or have a picnic. When someone buys a house in a nice quiet cove, they should assume that others want to enjoy it too, and will. All told, boaters will be in the cove less than 2% of the year (5 hours a day, 3 days a week, 12 weeks a year). Unfortunately, that may overlap the limited time the home owner chooses to be there too, and they can't pull anchor and move to a different cove.

Perhaps the right attitude for boaters and home owners alike to have is one of sharing. The boater is not alone and should act that way. If they are looking for privacy, they need to go somewhere else. The home owner has already chosen a spot that must occasionally be shared and must accept that.

Some of the conflict comes from the home owners who have managed to get no-rafting laws enacted in their areas. To extend the analogy, this is like having the town ban playing baseball in some parts of the public park because the neighbors complain. This causes other areas of the park to be used more frequently, so other neighbors start complaining until the point that baseball and picnics are no longer allowed in the public park.

The result of no-rafting rules causes some boaters to find other areas, and the choices have become limited. Coves that used to be rarely used are being found and have become popular. One solution is to revoke no-rafting laws and open the entire lake back up to the public. It could start with Kona!
Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #71
SAMIAM

Thanks,Don....I rest my case.Ha ha,Charlie.......my wife THINKS I'm working.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #72
alsadad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
One solution is to revoke no-rafting laws and open the entire lake back up to the public.
Lakegeezer, I wholeheartedly agree that boaters and waterfront landowners need to be more sharing. I am both, and I suspect you are, too. But if the abutting landowners, or someone else, have told you that no-rafting areas are closed to the public then you need to set them straight. These areas are NOT closed to the public, nor are boaters prohibited from anchoring there. And, ironically enough, “no rafting” doesn’t even literally mean no rafting, it means that rafts are limited to two boats. It does seem that some waterfront landowners think the lake in front of their homes is closed to the public, but that doesn’t mean they’re right.
alsadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #73
4Fun

Maybe we should have an "On the water" forum fest right in front of "Pieces" camp this summer
Old 06-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #74
Misty Blue

Default how far is enough?

Some folks in this discussion have made a point that it's OK to anchor off of a property if they are 150 feet or more away from the dock.

Anchoring that far from shore could put the anchored boat in a area where there could cause a collision with an underrway boat.

My neighbor used to talk about a boat that used to anchor off of his place every wednesday. He said that a man and a woman on the boat would take off their clothes and do "things".

My wife noticed a telescope by his bay window. It was pointing down twards the Lake. She said "Isn't this thing supposed to be looking at the sky?"

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #75
fatlazyless

hey...how about a major film studio picking this up and creating a dramatic summer film, shot on the lake....just envision Richard Dreyfuss and Bette Midler as the nasty arrogant retired wealthy couple who summer out there, way across the bay, on Attitude Island....

a scene could go like this

Dreyfuss' character: Just look Dear, another fisherman, is here, making our little cove feel so dirty...

Midler's character: Yes, what a shame, with this whole big lake, why must they do that terrible fishing right here, so we are forced to look at them...

Dreyfuss' character: Now, couldn't they just take up drinking and leave the fishing rods at home...

Midler's character: some people, I tell you Dear....it's just terrible what we have to put up with just to get to our little island...

Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #76
SAMIAM

FLL........Couple of people in a white truck are coming to see you with a net......let them in...they are your friends
Old 06-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #77
partsman

Default You guys crack me up.

While just a newbie to this forum, I have been on this lake for 60 years and in the marine business for 40 years and have seen all the scenarios you all describe.

Woodsy says it best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
The problem lies in what a waterfront property owner might think is reasonable vs. what an anchored boater might think is reasonable. The laws are on the side of the boater.

Unfortunately, those who own waterfront property abut what is essentially a state park. While its very desireable to abut such a beautiful park, it has its downfalls. Its not your "cove" or your "backyard" You have to put up with Joe Public. Joe Public can be annoyingly noisy guy. You knew that going in! If I were the sailboater mentioned in Post #5 I would have politely told the MP to leave me alone...

What I find humorous is the perception that being anchored off the shoreline is somehow inconsiderate?? I dont quite get that. The property line ends at the high water mark... PERIOD! If someone anchors thier boat off your property and proceed to enjoy themselves... lunch, swim, music, etc. Its no different than a group of people playing frisbee in a park. While Joe Public has a RIGHT to enjoy the lake/park as they see fit, the waterfront property owner/park abutter does not have ANY RIGHTS (other than the Littoral rights mentioned above) past thier property line which for the lake is the high water mark!

It is precisely the NIMBY attitude of some waterfront property owners that has resulted in the many no rafting zones... the more no rafting zones we have, the more people have to spread out into other areas of the lake.

I am a considerate boater... I have never anchored in front of someones property and certainly have never caused an annoyance. However I have a serious problem when a property onwer THINKS that he/she has RIGHTS that somehow trump mine.... that is certainly not the case or the law here in NH!

Woodsy
To all shorefront land owners, we locals have as much right to the waterways in NH as you do. Some of us choose to not purchase shorefront property because we don't need to own it when we can just boat from our rented docks or launch ramps; others of us can not afford to. The reality is, it is as much our lake as yours. Get over it. If the law is being broken you should absolutely contact the proper authorities. If someone is just enjoying their right to our great lake, leave them alone.
partsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #78
RC246

Thank you OCDACTIVE for seeing the REALITY of the situation.
4Fun, count me in on the forum fest (though not in front "of Pieces") BUT, in the same spot this incident occoured.
RC246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #79
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman View Post
While just a newbie to this forum, I have been on this lake for 60 years and in the marine business for 40 years and have seen all the scenarios you all describe.

Woodsy says it best:

To all shorefront land owners, we locals have as much right to the waterways in NH as you do. Some of us choose to not purchase shorefront property because we don't need to own it when we can just boat from our rented docks or launch ramps; others of us can not afford to. The reality is, it is as much our lake as yours. Get over it. If the law is being broken you should absolutely contact the proper authorities. If someone is just enjoying their right to our great lake, leave them alone.

End of thread. Great post, says it all.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #80
hazelnut

Quote:

Woodsy says it best:

As a lakefront property owner (island) I concur. Well said partsman. We can all get along here and just be courteous of each other. Goes both way here by the way. This lake is big enough for all of us to enjoy!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:51 PM   #81
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Even in good times M-F 9-5 was always the most active time for this site with lunchtime the peek. Weekend days have about half the traffic of weekdays.
I wonder how "lunchtime" is measured? For example, the clock time (and my computer clock time) is currently 9:51pm. However, the post time is 7:51pm. A 2-hour difference. So, is lunchtime the clock time, or is it the post time?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:58 AM   #82
ApS

Question Yeah?

Quote:
End of thread. Great post, says it all.
Well, when I got to here:

I thought this...and then this.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:14 AM   #83
Kamper

At my current assignment it's not practical to sign in and comment so I've been with you folks in spirit only.

I agree with the "public park" comparison for our lakes. It is perhaps the best way to get across the public domain concept. I will keep this in mind the next time somebody gets territorial about "their" slice of the lake. As a former frequent user of our public parks I have to say though, there are a lot of "Ranger Boneheads" on the trails so don't expect too many B/H's to see the light.
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 AM   #84
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamper View Post
At my current assignment it's not practical to sign in and comment so I've been with you folks in spirit only.

I agree with the "public park" comparison for our lakes. It is perhaps the best way to get across the public domain concept. I will keep this in mind the next time somebody gets territorial about "their" slice of the lake. As a former frequent user of our public parks I have to say though, there are a lot of "Ranger Boneheads" on the trails so don't expect too many B/H's to see the light.
This says it all. It's truly not about us vs. them but about the boneheads on BOTH sides who ruin it for everyone. The lakefront owner who deals with loud, rude obnoxious rafter is going to remember that experience more than the group of respectful law abiding ones and vice versa. Remember the old Osmond song "One Bad Apple Don't Spoil the Whole Bunch Girl"!!! I'm dating myself here
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #85
gravy boat

Default water driveway

hoytglp -- The Varneys sounds like a nice place to anchor with about 20 of my closest boating friends. I'll have to spread the word and schedule a redevouz date! I'll suggest they bring the waterballoon launchers to ward off any boneheads zooming by too close. GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #86
SAMIAM

Good idea with the balloon launchers,gravy boat.....and don't forget biodegradable toilet tissue in case you have to do your business in the lake.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #87
hazelnut

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!

Against my better judgment I boated over to the Weirs on Saturday. Usually I don't do this due to the fact that the largest concentration of Captain Boneheads congregate in this area on any given Saturday. Anyway it was such a light boat traffic day that I thought what harm could come of it, right? WRONG!

I am sorry but this idiot in his pontoon boat in the Governors Island Channel pushed me to me breaking point. I've said it on here before that I try to fluff stuff of when I see it happening around me. I usually shrug my shoulders, laugh and shake my head. Well I snapped on Saturday. It began with this bleeping bleep-hole riding up my swim platform coming through the G.I. Channel. I had a Scarab in front of me and I wasn't about to drive up through him so I held my patience and figured well if this guy hits me he will owe me $$$ No big deal. Well as we approach the end of the no wake headed towards the Weirs this "captain" on his pontoon boat, older guy with his friends on the boat, punches his throttle and rides up next to me less than 15 feet away. Seriously 15 FEET! I have 3 little kids on my boat, ages 5 year old twins and 2 year old girl. Now he's actually turned towards the side of my boat and closing the gap. I FREAK!!!!! Basically I ask him, I don't have to yell because he could actually be ON my boat he's so close, "Is this your first day driving a boat?" He mouths off something and I elevate my voice inform him of the law and basically tell him he sucks at driving a boat. We break right throttle up and head for the Weirs channel. Guess who comes up behind us? YUP! You guessed it. When I finally stop at channel for gas he rides up beside us and tries, TRIES to make a comment, I cut him off and tell him "You are the absolute WORST boat driver on this lake, your passengers are in MORTAL DANGER driving with you!" I said "You not only put them in danger but the lives of my children." I then told him "move along before Marine Patrol is called and we check to see if you actually have a license to operate a boat in the first place!" He left, wonder if he actually had a license? Probably not!

Phew I feel better now.

Usually I don't explode like that but when it comes to putting my kids in harms way I FREAK!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #88
OCDACTIVE

wow hazel... Not good... Sorry I missed you swung by around 1 ish. One of these times!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #89
VtSteve

The old days are gone. Used to be, just a few shotgun blasts would do it

Seriously, was he doing the speed limit?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #90
jrc

Do pontoon boats make wakes

I've had at least three pass me in narrow spots, when I question then they always say that they're not making a wake. It seems I'm the only boat on the lake that makes a wake, because whenever I question (OK, yell at) someone passing me within in spitting distance, they always say they're not making a wake.

It's been so quiet all spring, but Saturday reminded me how many people just don't under stand the rules of the road. How hard is it to remember, the guy on the right usually gets to go first.

And don't get started about the pinhead in the sailboat in Glendale...
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:16 AM   #91
Marker42

Arrow ................................

As much as you may not like it the lake itself is a public area. Weather having an anchored boater or fisherman casting under your docks etc. it's public and owned by the State of NH. I do find it lets say stressing when they are close to the front of your property, but it is actually more that they are inconsiderate to be so close in many cases. If you find they are over nighting then call and kick there .......... out.

When it comes to the let's call them unsafe boaters, you still need to keep your cool to insure the safety of your vessel and passengers. Unfortunately there are not going away and will probably only get worst. I have found myself not going out on warrior weekends any more between the unsafe boaters, parking battles at docks, speed limits, kayaks etc in the middle of the Broads, and motoring sailboats thinking they fall under sailboat rules (your a motorboat at this point). Commons sense goes along aways please use it.
Marker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #92
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Do pontoon boats make wakes

I've had at least three pass me in narrow spots, when I question then they always say that they're not making a wake. It seems I'm the only boat on the lake that makes a wake, because whenever I question (OK, yell at) someone passing me within in spitting distance, they always say they're not making a wake.
It doesn't matter if they don't make a wake at speed.The rule is 6mph or the slowest speed to maintain your course.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #93
Woodsy

Hazel...

The amount of Boneheads out this saturday was amazing... Sorry you had a close encounter with one!

No Wake speed does not mean 'Dead Slow".... In the past I have seen the MP chastise boats going that slow in the Weirs Channel... Usually a big cruiser with Martini Yacht Club flag! LOL!

Woodsy
Old 06-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #94
C_Duff

Quote:
I cut him off and tell him "You are the absolute WORST boat driver on this lake, your passengers are in MORTAL DANGER driving with you!" I said "You not only put them in danger but the lives of my children." I then told him "move along before Marine Patrol is called and we check to see if you actually have a license to operate a boat in the first place!"
Good for you! People like that need that verbal "slap in the face" to get it through their skulls
C_Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #95
sa meredith

Default weekends

The difference between boating on a weekday and weekend, is remarkable!
It's like night and day.
On a Friday, which is my usual boat day, people seem to respect each other, and know where they should be..."give way, vs. stand on" and so forth.
But on a weekend?! Christ, it is completely impossible to anticipate another boat's coure of action...you just never know.
I would bet over 70 percent of weekend boaters have no idea who has the "right of way" in any given situation.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #96
Mee-n-Mac

Unhappy Didn't get better on Sunday

I took "Mee" and her friends out for a house tour around Governors I. on Sunday and despite the low number of boats I had no less than 4 boats ignore the 150' rule and 1 RoW violation. Two were cruiser captains, 1 runabout and 1 pontoon. Sad thing was, with one exception, all were at least my age or older. You'd think by that age they'd have learned something but as the saying goes, "age is no guarantee of wisdom". The good thing was as I waited for my turn to go under the G I bridge I antipated the 2'nd boat in line on the far side to try to sneak through. But to my surprise he held off and let me take my proper turn. Nice to see some courtesy and respect for the unwritten rules still exist.

Time to start this season's Capt Bonehead thread I guess. I've vowed to keep a spare digicam I have on the boat. You don't want to be in this gallery.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #97
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
The good thing was as I waited for my turn to go under the G I bridge I antipated the 2'nd boat in line on the far side to try to sneak through. But to my surprise he held off and let me take my proper turn. Nice to see some courtesy and respect for the unwritten rules still exist.
It is nice to come across the occasional courteous boater isn't it. I really do think that there are many good boaters out there and that it is just the few bad boaters that make the biggest impact on the whole experience.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #98
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It doesn't matter if they don't make a wake at speed.The rule is 6mph or the slowest speed to maintain your course.
I was making a joke. The incidents I refer to were all well above 6 mph, more like 15+. I did not mean to single out pontoons, and sailboats, I've seen pinheads in pretty much every type of boat. Once in awhile I even see one in the mirror. Everyone make mistakes.

BTW I was thinking about the original topic of this thread on Sunday. We decided to search out some new spots to stop and fish for awhile.

We pulled into a quiet cove on Bear Island. I looked around for a few minutes for a good spot but there were people sitting out on docks and porches and this thread kept going through my mind.

I even dropped the anchor for a second but just didn't feel comfortable, so I went for a ride instead.

My wife thinks I'm an idiot. She really likes to find good fishing spots, even though we never seem to catch anything. She could not understand why I felt uncomfortable.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #99
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:

The reality is, it is as much our lake as yours.
Here is the problem at the root of it all..... putting ownership in regards to the lake....

"our lake" ... "your (lake)"...... it is THE LAKE...... any time people start to assign ownership over something arguments will insue...... locals, feel it is theirs, while lake front property owners feel it belongs to them..... it belongs to all of us.....

Now as for grumpy land owners, I watch two fishing boats go passed my property this weekend.... both of which maintaind their boats 30 to 40 feet out past the end of my dock, and where carefull not to cast anywhere near the dock or the kids in the water.... Hell I even talked with them as they passed by....... we RESPECTED each other right to enjoy THE LAKE...... therefore it was a wonderful day.....
Old 06-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #100
chipj29

Quote:
It is nice to come across the occasional courteous boater isn't it. I really do think that there are many good boaters out there and that it is just the few bad boaters that make the biggest impact on the whole experience.
You know, that is a very good point. You guys who encountered the Capt Boneheads this weekend no doubt saw dozens more boats who were being safe and courteous. Yet we have no thread about that. Kind of makes me wonder, with all the negative posts about the boneheads maybe to the uneducated observer to this forum, the lake doesn't really appear to be all that safe. Again, that is based on the posts in this forum...in general.