Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
tara

Default Someone willing to boat a crowd

My fiancés family has a house on an island. Him and I are going up there in August with a bunch of friends and were wondering if there are boat rentals you could do with a captain. We have been on that huge boat that takes you around. We rented a pontoon boat last year and took it around with our friends. This year my fiancé would like to enjoy the trip with us and not have to be a DD again. We were all wondering if there is such a thing where you could rent a boat with a driver for the day or a few hours. We also do not go up much so we aren't good with navigating around and would love for our friends to truly see the beauty of the lake! Anyone know anything like this??!
tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Bernie Girl

try corinthian yacht club in Wolfeboro, I believe they provided launch service for our island neighbors last summer. In fact try Goodhue & Hawkins in Wolfeboro they may do it as well.
Bernie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
martbri7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post
My fiancés family has a house on an island. Him and I are going up there in August with a bunch of friends and were wondering if there are boat rentals you could do with a captain. We have been on that huge boat that takes you around. We rented a pontoon boat last year and took it around with our friends. This year my fiancé would like to enjoy the trip with us and not have to be a DD again. We were all wondering if there is such a thing where you could rent a boat with a driver for the day or a few hours. We also do not go up much so we aren't good with navigating around and would love for our friends to truly see the beauty of the lake! Anyone know anything like this??!

http://www.ekalactivitycenter.com/pa...and-rates/cee5
martbri7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Anchor Marine can provide a driver with a pontoon rental:

http://www.anchormarine.net/drivers.htm
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Caption and pontoon shuttle.

I am told that you can make arrangement with Irwin Marine for one of their premier Berkshire and driver. http://www.irwinmarine.com

Congratulations to the Irwin boys on becoming one of the top 100 marine dealers in the nation!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Just Sold

Depending on how many people you are planning on and if you want to do a little more upsacale cruising then I heartily suggest the "Latitude 43." http://www.latitude43charters.com/
We were married on board a couple of years ago on a sunset cruise and it is a fantastic experience.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
neckdweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
Depending on how many people you are planning on and if you want to do a little more upsacale cruising then I heartily suggest the "Latitude 43." http://www.latitude43charters.com/
We were married on board a couple of years ago on a sunset cruise and it is a fantastic experience.
Interesting. There's a restaurant in Gloucester, MA with the same name and both businesses are rounding but in different directions.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
chasedawg

Default someone to boat a crowd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tara View Post

Hi Tara.
I am a Captain and have two boats. One is a beautiful wooden antique Hacker Craft that holds 12. The other is a High performance boat that holds 16. I can Captain for you on either boat. Or I have a other Captains that work for me that could take all of you out on both boats. So how many friends are you expecting?
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
NoBozo

Default Be Aware

Those of you Private Individuals...Be VERY carefull before you volunteer to transport people in your private boat...Particularly for money.

There are No Captains on Lake Winni. Even the Captain of the Mount is NOT a Captain..ie..licensed by the US Coast Guard to transport passengers. Be Careful: YOU are responsible for any loss.... Just Sayin.. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Default Not true

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
Those of you Private Individuals...Be VERY carefull before you volunteer to transport people in your private boat...Particularly for money.

There are No Captains on Lake Winni. Even the Captain of the Mount is NOT a Captain..ie..licensed by the US Coast Guard to transport passengers. Be Careful: YOU are responsible for any loss.... Just Sayin.. NB
My wife is a licensed Captain through the USCG. She is licensed to operate a 50 ton vessel. (USCG Master 50 ton License)
Unfortunately she is not putting her boat in this year or she would have been replying.
My advise is make sure the person doing the driving has commercial insurance that specifically covers the number of passengers you plan on having on board, there is also a special separate price to allow persons to exit and enter from the water. Extremely costly to have commercial insurance. Much more so to allow for swimming off of the boat.
Anyone can take you out, but if something should happen and the insurance company finds out the boat was for hire you may have no recourse as regular boat insurance does not cover operation for hire.
The Captains license is not required for inland waters, you go through Marine Patrol for a license to operate for hire on the lake.
My wife also believes that because of it's size those operating the Mount are most definitely licensed captains. She believes it is required due to the size of the vessel even though it is on inland waters.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Happy Gourmand

Quote:

Really? I'll take that bet!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Some may argue the point with you.

I have looked up a couple of charter boats on Winnipesaukee, and the "captains" or "skippers" hold a State of NH Commercial Boat Operators license.

I would also anticipate that they have insurance, and if that was a concern, you simply have to ask, and if you really care, request a certificate of Insurance.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Really? I'll take that bet!!
OK: PROVIDE your response.. NB
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #14
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I have looked up a couple of charter boats on Winnipesaukee, and the "captains" or "skippers" hold a State of NH Commercial Boat Operators license.

I would also anticipate that they have insurance, and if that was a concern, you simply have to ask, and if you really care, request a certificate of Insurance.
You are correct. NB
Old 06-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #15
CaptJP

Default Commercial Captain doesn't need USCG license on Lake Winni

FYI that a captain for hire need not be a USCG licensed captain on Lake Winnipesaukee - it is an inland water body governed by the state. A person for hire must have a commercial license from the NH Marine Patrol. The matter of the boat is a separate topic altogether!

Regardless, make sure the person you hire is properly licensed and insured for the type of activity you are pursuing.
CaptJP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptJP For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
NoBozo

I guess the Key words are .."PRIVATE INDIVIDUALS." ..Beware: I rest my case. NB
Old 06-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #17
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJP View Post
FYI that a captain for hire need not be a USCG licensed captain on Lake Winnipesaukee - it is an inland water body governed by the state. A person for hire must have a commercial license from the NH Marine Patrol. The matter of the boat is a separate topic altogether!

Regardless, make sure the person you hire is properly licensed and insured for the type of activity you are pursuing.
You are also Correct. NB
Old 06-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
jeffatsquam

3 days 8 hours and 4 min. Before a troll awakes to spoil another thread
jeffatsquam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffatsquam For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (06-03-2013), Skip (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #19
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
OK: PROVIDE your response.. NB
I believe one has posted in this thread.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

I think it is a great idea. We don't need anymore people crashing into islands around here. I don't condone drinking on the water. Even if not "driving" the boat. Too many bad things can happen, which is simply not worth it. JMHO.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote