Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-07-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
hancoveguy

Default Best Condos in Laconia

Greetings all,
We have decided that for a whole host of reasons, we are looking seriously at a condo in the Laconia (Paugus Bay area). I am curious to hear from those of you that live in or know of people who live in these condos. So far we only know of a few, Southdown, Evergreen, the Village etc...

The things that are important to us are 3 bedrooms, near the lake, prefer day docking, beach rights, low taxes, low condo fees, pool is a must...
Must be year round..we are currently seasonal and want to take the next step.

Would love to hear of all the pros and cons of area condos so bring on the feedback...

BTW...right now the plan is to keep the price as close to 100k as possible as we do not want a mortgage.

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Irish mist

Check out Meredith Bridge condos @ the Weirs. Though you won't get everything you want at that price anywhere up here.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Dogberry01

We live in Southdown and love it. Good luck with that wish list.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
CGI3

I havn't seen a condo with all those goodies in that price range in the Lakes Region in over 30 years.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
kauriel

The village is a great value and has a pool but is also has some limitations, especially when it comes to water access. As far as I know there are no day docks available and it's a long walk to the association beach. Southdown Shores sounded great to us but the price was too high when we were looking.

You may want to look at some of the associations along Weirs Boulevard. I often see lots of for sale signs and some appear to have docks, pools, etc.
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Condo rules

There are lots of associations around the lake and in Laconia. Make sure you understand the rules. Many are not so friendly with folks who have pets and or 'toys'. Some associations are a 'basketcase' because of financial situations, lack of inforcements, disgruntle owners etc. If you have a buyer's agent working for you, they usually look into these things otherwise don't trust your seller's agent, they are trying to sell!

I live at Wildwood on Winnisquam. For what you get the condo fees are very reasonable as there are no swimming pool or community building to maintain. There is a beautiful association beach with possible mooring. No day dock. The association is not so friendly for 'toys'. RVs, boats, etc cannot be stored or park on the premises. The association is pet friendly. It is not a 55+ community but most of the owners are.

Southdown is up the road from me. There are several associations, so it is wise that you look into them. I know one of them is in the verge of collapse, and others have problems!

Good Luck in your search!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
meredith weekender

Hancoveguy, sending you a PM
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Argie's Wife

Have you considered what your taxes will be if you live in Laconia, vs. the other seven towns that border the big lake?

Alton $13.07
Gilford $18.55
Laconia $20.56
Meredith $12.65
Center Harbor $10.96
Moultonborough $8.33
Tuftonboro $8.71
Wolfeboro $12.20

Souce: NH DRA 2011 Property Tax Rates

I remember when Argie and I were looking for a home, and we had two that were pretty similar in their price, size, features, etc., - BUT - one was in Alton and one was in Pittsfield. We looked at what our monthly payments would be like, with our home owners' insurance and our taxes escrowed into the payment, and OUCH! It was no brainer - the lower taxes won.

Perhaps you have your hearts set on the Paugus Bay area for another reason, but I thought I'd share this with you.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote