Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Any ski discounts: Nov 12, 2011?

Well, here goes with another thread on the ski discounts for the 2011-2012 season. Seeing the snow guns up top of www.waterville.com blow'n snow this morning has got me thinking about skiing again!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-14-2011 at 06:26 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Cannon:2 for $68 Tues and Thurs
$36 Wed for NH resident

No free coffee though.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
fatlazyless

WV is reopening soon.....due to the temps....in other words.....that means that WV has CLOSED as of today Tuesday.....after opening on last Friday.....and it is now 52-degrees .....and raining....... www.waterville.com .....and....tomorrow Wednesday, November 30 is the last day before the prices for season passes get a boost upward. What-to-do.....what-to-do....wait until the temps cool down for decent snow making, and take a leap of cold temperature faith and spend the big bucks on a season pass.....or wait until they get enough cold for some good skiing .....think I will be a-waiting.....does it make any sense to go spend money for a pass now that the ski area has closed down due to the warm weather......just my two cents.....

...say-hey.....it's like they raise their prices on Thursday, December 1 .... and for now they are selling a product that does not exist.....how much does that cost.....and how much is it worth? ....how about a discount for a product that they do not have.....instead of raising the prices....oh well......probably not going to happen....

Big heavy rain, all night long, last night, and 52-degree temps did a big meltdown on the three open shorty trails up top................closed!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-30-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
WV is reopening soon.....due to the temps....in other words.....that means that WV has CLOSED as of today Tuesday.....after opening on last Friday.....and it is now 52-degrees .....and raining....... www.waterville.com .....and....tomorrow Wednesday, November 30 is the last day before the prices for season passes get a boost upward. What-to-do.....what-to-do....wait until the temps cool down for decent snow making, and take a leap of cold temperature faith and spend the big bucks on a season pass.....or wait until they get enough cold for some good skiing .....think I will be a-waiting.....does it make any sense to go spend money for a pass now that the ski area has closed down due to the warm weather......just my two cents.....

...say-hey.....it's like they raise their prices on Thursday, December 1 .... and for now they are selling a product that does not exist.....how much does that cost.....and how much is it worth? ....how about a discount for a product that they do not have.....instead of raising the prices....oh well......probably not going to happen....

Big heavy rain, all night long, last night, and 52-degree temps did a big meltdown on the three open shorty trails up top................closed!
I'm with you FLL. My kids ski club money is due this Friday and there is no place open to ski! Paying for a product like you said that doesn't exist currently.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
jmen24

Just got my Ride and Ski card in the mail last week. It also came with the free lift ticket to Ragged that I requested. This card gives me great discounts all over New England like 2 for 1 lift tickets to Ragged all season, Jay all season, Cranmore all season, Black all season, mount snow all season, Sugarbush all season and Shawnee all season. I also get 25 bucks off a midweek ticket at Waterville and Attitash. I also get 10 bucks off at Burke, Sadddleback, Wildcat and a ton of other deals at the Cman resturants, and a bunch of ride and stay packages.

It also supports ChaD and I get all this for $30. I get great discounts and I am not tied to the same trails, week in and week out, although I could be if I walnted too as well.

Finding someone in the lot that wants to save 50% on a lift ticket is pretty quick and easy.

Www.ridenski.com
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (11-30-2011), Lakegeezer (12-02-2011), NHBUOY (12-16-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
fatlazyless

"Ski discounts around the Valley" by Marty Basch (not Masch) in today's December 2, 2011, Conway Daily Sun:

www.conwaydailysun.com/node/479577/18672
Old 12-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
Just got my Ride and Ski card in the mail last week. Www.ridenski.com
Wow.Had not heard of that card before.Just looked at their website and am very impressed with the savings for just $29.Will pay for itself the first time in some cases.I own a season pass but still might pick one of these up.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #8
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Wow.Had not heard of that card before.Just looked at their website and am very impressed with the savings for just $29.Will pay for itself the first time in some cases.I own a season pass but still might pick one of these up.
The best thing is, is that it usually comes with a free pass out of the gate. It is a great deal. If you order early you can usually choose the mountain you want your free pass to.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
hancoveguy

Hello all, Kind of off topic but hopefully close enough. I am looking around for a ski package. One day midweek, rentals, lessons and all day lift, plus maybe lodging for a family of 5 (kids are 7-10). Have started looking around and it appears it may be prohibitively expensive but will keep looking.

Love to hear thoughts on making this first time family ski adventure affordable.

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
SIKSUKR

If your looking for value then you are smart to go midweek.Most areas do some kind of 2fer one during the week.Cannon has 2f1 on Tues & Thurs for $68 or 1 for $43 for adults.For NH residents $36 on Wed.So a family of 5 could ski on Tues or Thurs for $180.Full packages go for $67 for first timers and $108 for advanced.I don't know why the difference in price.Possibly the equipment?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #11
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Gunstock to open 4 runs on Sunday

By Adam Drapcho
Dec 16, 2011 12:00 am

GILFORD — Gunstock Mountain Resort will open for skiing on Sunday, (12/18) marketing director Bill Quigley said yesterday. The resort hopes to have three lifts running, servicing four of the mountain's 55 trails.
Quigley said Gunstock typically plans to open for the first weekend of December. A look through recent history, though, shows that about half the time the weather remains too warm for snowmaking, as was the case this year. He said forecasts are indicating that temperatures will drop enough over the weekend to give skiers something to schuss.
"We're going to be making snow all day Saturday, we're going to blow snow at every opportunity we can," he said. Snowmaking operations run at about 20-percent efficiency at just below freezing, he noted. Temperatures have to drop into the teens before the process approaches 100-percent efficiency. "We're all just waiting for the temperature to change, and we know it will," Quigley said.
Gunstock will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday, with lift tickets costing $25. The mountain will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday. Night skiing will begin on Tuesday

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Twenty three dollars to ski tomorrow at Waterville Valley, Tuesday December 20, due to their Tuesday promo-Patriots Tuesday which comes from the weekend football score.

With ten out of 50 www.waterville.com trails now open there is exactly one trail open from the top to the bottom and I heard that it is icy, so at $23/Tuesday it is not really worth it for 23-bucks if you ask me.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Just learned that the two for one lift ticket deal at Waterville Valley for Fridays has been discontinued. For the last two seasons, WV had two for one Mondays and Fridays, and starting this year it is two for one only on Mondays starting on January 2, 2012.

Have yet to go skiing what with the limited number of trails open so far. Anyone skied WV lately, and how was the skiing there?
Old 01-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
fatlazyless

Default ten bucks to ski - Tuesday, January 17 - 39 trails

While the weather seems a little iffy, the ten dollar price to ski all lifts tomorrow on New England Patriot's Tuesday at Waterville Valley, January 17, is not iffy at all........ www.waterville.com ....what-a-super-duper deal.....go PATS! ......beat the Ravens!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
gf2020

$14 ticket at Cranmore on Feb. 14

http://www.cranmore.com/news/243/150...ges/d,E-Coupon
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Month of January

NH ski areas have a lift, rental and ski class package for newbies. Call ahead and ask for the package.

Most of the ski areas will discount an all day pass if you show your college student id.

Hopefully we will have snow April 1. Waterville Valley traditionally offer $1 lift tickets.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Pineedles

FLL must be taking a week at waterville?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
AC2717

Nice, just registered for my daughter and I for Cranmore on the 14th, that is a major money saver, she is still learning, and I am not really a fan of Cranmore, but that is ok for that price
Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Sunday, Feb 5, at Waterville Valley, www.waterville.com , the adult (19+ age) price is 46-dollars in recognition, or something like that, of the 46th Superbowl football game. Ordinarily, the price for Sat, Sun & holidays is 73/day but since there's so many many many empty chairs on the chairlift and many days with not too many people showing up, the price has been reduced down to 46 dollars (just my opinion here).

So, what's up with the low turnout numbers at WV? Probably has a lot to do with the high price of gasoline, electricity, and heating oil, and many people just not wanting to spend their money on a 73-dollar Sunday 8am-4pm lift ticket.......just my two cents here.

Last two years in 2011 and 2010, WV had twofer Fridays, or two for $63, or 31.50 each and the attendance was way higher than this year when management totally eliminated the twofer Fridays and tried to sell tickets for $63 each.......so many empty chairs on the chairlift......where-o-where are all the skiers and riders.......where-o-where.......not at WV on the formerly twofer Fridays.....okey-dokey!

Today was a nice sunny Friday with temps at about 28-degrees and almost no one shows up to go skiing or riding.......how's that happen?

You know the WV Superpipe that gets built on the Exhibition Slope right in front of the main lodge has not been built yet, and there's no signs of sno-making lately to build it. Today is Feb 3 so what's up with that......will it get built for the February vacation week?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #20
hancoveguy

Thanks for the info.

This is my first season back on skis in many years so my frame of referrence is limited, but...judging by the prices I am seeing I can see why the slopes are empty.
I am trying desperately to take my family (of 5) on a modest ski vacation. Nothing fancy, 2 days midweek, non vacation week, willing to stay off site and it is still running me over $1000. When we were kids we would go to Loon or WVV for a week each year and stay on the mountain. For me to give my kids that experience it will cost me well over $2500 plus food etc. I cannot believe how expensive things have gotten.

We settled on 3 nights and 2 days of skiing at Gunstock, staying at the Summit Condos in Laconia. Took advantage of the Sunday family 4 pack and the Monday BOGO offer and it is still around $1000.

I have never skied Gunstock and would love to hear some thoughts on this mountain or any other ski deals for early March.

HCG
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
gf2020

I'm not a big fan of Gunstock, but my teenage boys like it so we ski there pretty regularly. The view of the lake is great and it's under 2 hours from my house in MA.

For a multi-day family trip I much prefer North Conway and we ski at the smaller areas like Cranmore and Black to keep the costs down. North Conway has plenty of lodging, dining and shopping options as well.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
fatlazyless

Default 21-dollars Tuesday February 7

Yes, as everybody now knows, the NE Patriots lost to the NY Giants 21-17, but the price to ski today at Waterville Valley is reduced down from the way overpriced 63 down to 21-dollars........603-236-4144....recorded sno-phone if you want to verify this .....and the conditions are actually not too bad.....if only the sun would come out too!

Supposedly, today is the final Patriots Tuesday but most likely they will think of some other Tuesday bargains otherwise almost nobody shows up ....like on Thursdays or Fridays when the price is the full 63-dollars....and it's empty except for season tickets and local prep school teams ...let's see.....for 63-dollars you can purchase one lift ticket good from 9am to 4pm.....or go buy about six grocery bags full of groceries at the Plymouth Super Wal-Mart .....whatcha gonna do?

So, doesn't it seem more logical for today's price to be 17-dollars as the WV way to show appreciation for the Patriot's less than winning effort?????
Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
AC2717

heading up Saturday through tuesday
Looking for another deal in the North Conway area, Already hitting up Cranmore on Tuesday. Anyone sight a deal at another MTN for Sunday or Monday?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #24
rick35

Default Tuesday Gunstock deal

Just got back home from a day at Gunstock. Belknap county residents qualify for a Tuesday discount with their club card. Brought in my Meredith December tax bill, got my card and skied for $25. Better than a two-fer.

Conditions are getting icy and a few spots are getting close to bare. They need some cold nights to crank out some man-made snow and they'll be in great shape. I always love the view.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default No more snow making

The ski areas will not be making more snow after January. Something about a deal with PSNH. If there are bare spots, they would push the snow from another section of the trail.

Mt Sunapee and Okemo are well known for their snow grooming. When the trails get bad at the ski areas I usually head to Mt Sunapee.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
rick35

I don't know where you got that info BH but Sunapee is advertising that they're making snow this week and Gunstock posted that they're waiting for colder weather to crank up their guns. Energy cost has to be their biggest expense but not making snow in the absence of natural snow is a sure way to have an early end to their ski season.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #27
Belmont Resident

Default Cost

I heard on the local news yesterday how ski areas are struggling this year. What with the lack of snow they area making it themselves but this in turn drives up the cost which also drives away more skiers. Seems like a loose, loose situation for the ski areas.
This is why it is so frustrating to here I hate winter. Winter haters don’t realize what an economy breaker a winter like this can be. From lodging to eating it all trickles down.
And now I’m hearing over $4.00 a gallon for gas is possible by spring and possibly $5.00 a gallon by the end of this year. And that’s regular gas.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The ski areas will not be making more snow after January. Something about a deal with PSNH.
Bad info here. Most of the large ski areas continue to make snow today. I found 14 so far. A small list of ones I checked today. Bretton Woods, Cannon, Loon, Mt Snow, Okemo, Ragged, Saddleback, Stratton, Sugarbush, Sugarloaf, Sunapee, Sunday River, Wildcat. And Gunstock says they will be back at it soon to patch thin areas.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 02-08-2012 at 10:27 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Default Hey FLL,go to DD then to WV

Buy a breakfast sandwick at Dunkin's and get a 1/2 price ticket to Waterville.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Buy a breakfast sandwick at Dunkin's and get a 1/2 price ticket to Waterville.
The Dunkin Donuts sandwich 1/2 reduced lift ticket from $63 to 31.50 is on Wednesday, and is called Dunkin Donuts Wednesday, so Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are all reduced deal days. There's no reduced deals on Thursdays or Friday and the ski area seems like it just has the season ticket skiers/riders and local prep school race teams on those two days.

Saturday is the one really busy day, depending on the weather and conditions.

Hopefully, this winter's low snowfall and reduced skier numbers will not act as a delay on the proposed expansion of Waterville Valley to a new chairlift on nearby Greene's Mountain and more beginner-intermediate terrain. There's even talk of a charlift going from the Town Square to the ski area, a distance of about 2 1/2 miles (?). Only time will tell?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #31
Highlander

Sunday thru Thursday nights you can stay at The Lodge @ Bretton Woods for $99.00 a night for two with two lift tickets. That's less than the price of the lift tickets. Can't beat that deal.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:29 AM   #32
AC2717

FLL
what is the deal at Waterville Valley on Mondays??
Old 02-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
hilltopper

Default Gunstock is making snow in February

Contrary to some opinions...

http://www.citizen.com/news/laconia_...a4bcf6878.html
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:52 PM   #34
gtagrip

Default Mt. Sunapee

Kids ski free at Sunapee Sun. - Thurs. with each paying adult.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #35
fatlazyless

Twenty dollars for an all day lift ticket today, Tuesday, Feb 14, at Waterville Valley ....236-4144.....sno-phone...when there's no weekday discount almost nobody shows up....go figure......sixty three dollar regular(?) weekday price ....hmmmmmm! ....pricing gone bananas?....who knows what's up with the different prices?

And, the normal April 1, April Fool's price of one dollar has been raised up to ten dollars this year....oh well.....that seems reasonable even to me......

WV cable tv, channel 20 has a 24-hour live webcam shot of the WV infield including about 3 chairlift lengths of the main quad, and even on a 30-40-degree partially sunny day like today, w/ 48 trails open and 20-dollar lift tickets, reduced down from 63-dollars, there a lot more empty 4-seater quad chairs than any chairs with any skiers or riders on the main lift. Saturday's can get pretty busy, but it usually seems like mid-week is extremely quiet. Oh well, that's the www.waterville.com ski biz.....whatcha can they do to increase business? WV is a very nice place to go skiing and I have no clue.....maybe install an outdoor heated swimming pool down at the bottom just like what used to be at Mt Snow, in southern Vermont and hold a bikini-Zumba, ski & sno-board, pool party every day with free beer?

So's....where have all the skier, baby-boomers gone......long time passing......long time ago..... ?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-14-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #36
GTO

Default really good skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancoveguy View Post
Thanks for the info.

This is my first season back on skis in many years so my frame of referrence is limited, but...judging by the prices I am seeing I can see why the slopes are empty.
I am trying desperately to take my family (of 5) on a modest ski vacation. Nothing fancy, 2 days midweek, non vacation week, willing to stay off site and it is still running me over $1000. When we were kids we would go to Loon or WVV for a week each year and stay on the mountain. For me to give my kids that experience it will cost me well over $2500 plus food etc. I cannot believe how expensive things have gotten.

We settled on 3 nights and 2 days of skiing at Gunstock, staying at the Summit Condos in Laconia. Took advantage of the Sunday family 4 pack and the Monday BOGO offer and it is still around $1000.

I have never skied Gunstock and would love to hear some thoughts on this mountain or any other ski deals for early March.

HCG
I was just at Gunstock last week. Skiied all day. Conditions were really good considering there is not much snow anywhere. Skiied from the summit all day long. Snow was good, no ice. I spoke to someone that had been there 9 other times this year and he said that day was the best all season. Got my tickets from a website called Liftopia. Highly recommend them. Got all day pass for $36. Ordered the night before and picked up the tickets the next day at Gunstock Welcome Center. They have discount lift prices for ski areas all over the country.
hancoveguy (02-15-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #37
SIKSUKR

Default Here ya go FLL

$28 for temperature Tuesday at Waterville.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #38
AC2717

Hey Y'all (lol)
looking for any discounts on Saturday March 10th. Looked on Liftopia and some of the mtn's websites.

anyone got anything good for me???
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #39
fatlazyless

This year, the signature super pipe on Waterville Valley's Exhibition Slope never got built, and Loon Mtn has been promoting their Loon super pipe as the only one in New Hampshire. Believe the WV super pipe was aproximately a three hundred yard long, 17' high, top to bottom engineered snow cat, ditch witch digger device creation that required a lot of man-made snow to get it built.

Wonder why the WV management decided to not build it this year? Was it the high price of diesel and electricity, of the lack of cold temps needed for efficient sno-making, or the timing of the higher temps with Christmas and Feb vacation......anybody know......how come the WV signature SuperPipe never got made this year? Understand at least a couple of weekend snowboard events had to be moved or cancelled.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #40
AC2717

anyone see any discounts other than liftopia for Attitash or BRetton woods for this saturday?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #41
BlackCatIslander

Default Tuesday was absolutely GREAT SKIING!

The skiing on Tuesday at Waterville Valley was the best that I have seen in many many years. Those that took advantage of temperature Tuesday (price of $20.) really lucked out. Fortunately there were not that many.

Perfect packed powder, clear blue skies, and crisp temps that kept the conditions super good throughout the day. Yesterday was good too but the warm sunshine was making the snow quite soft by late morning.

Last edited by BlackCatIslander; 03-18-2012 at 03:05 PM.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #42
SIKSUKR

Should have gone to Cannon on Wednesday. While Wallyworld got 2 inches Sunday night, Cannon got a foot. Just saying...with a sunburned face.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #43
gf2020

Don't know if there is any snow left, but I'm heading to Gunstock tomorrow with 4 teenagers in tow. Tickets for $17 on Liftopia, how could I resist!
Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #44
no-engine

FYI: On FaceBook, Canon posted this is the final weekend!

Over many years of skiing, I've had many great days on St Patrick's Day.
However, I retired my skis: many factors including costs, too many discourteous skiers on mountains. I have half century of fine skiing under my belt, along with possible skin cancer issues from sun exposure!
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #45
fatlazyless

With the trail count down to 13-trails out of 52 open for today, Saturday, March 24. www.waterville.com says the remaining days of March 26 to April 1 will be free. No more grooming by the sno-cats as the snow is too soft, or something like that, or it's too expensive to run the groomers?