Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Mr. V

Default Is Winnipesaukee passe?

With the advent of the computer and the variety of entertainment options it brings us, coupled to the phobia most of the young have against exercising, it seems that the notion of a vacation at the Lake is no longer the Top Drawer attraction it once was.

With the near-universal availability of air conditioning, there is no longer the need to go to the Lake to beat the summer heat.

Certainly this year was a bust, but the lousy economy had something to do with it.

My theory is that Modern Folks may consider the idea of spending a week or two on the side of the lake as not stimulating enough, especially given the alternatives now available.

Water skiing?

Ho-hum, the kids would rather go online. .

The Weirs?

Boring; the kids (and many parents) have more fun playing video games on their x-box at home.

For parents, a quiet cabin in the woods is not as interesting as some other options such as a cruise, or a gambling jaunt.

Tastes morph and change: Old School may no longer be enough to earn the entertainment dollar.

Time will tell.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
SIKSUKR

Default Here we go again

Funny how people see things so different than yourself.I know this year was off from years past but was it a "bust"?I'm certainly not making a decision not to go on summer vacation at a lake because there is air conditioning available.I'll bet most people are like myself and don't take a vacation to sit inside an air conditioned space.Back when people did go to the lake for weeks on end to "beat the heat",they were generally wealthy folks that spent the whole summer.In todays fast paced world people cherish their time off and actually do the opposite of what you suggest and plan on spending time at great places like Lake Winni.If kids would rather go on-line and play video games as you suggest(and I agree),why leave you're house?
You seem to have this obsession with telling us how bad things are in the lakes region.I don't understand the constant negative posts you generate about this area.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
SLI

Default Not a bust!

My family has rented cottages to families for several generations. Summer '08 was a better rental season for us than the past several years! We found that families spent more time by the lake than traveling around to do the tourist thing because of gas prices. Kids still love to swim and play in and around the water! Lots of waterskiing and wake boarding on the lake! Maybe the families that rent from us are different from the ones that Mr.V sees, but they totally seem to love being 'at the lake'!

Respectfully,
SLI
SLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #4
Bear Islander

The more hectic and complex life becomes, the more we need the tranquility and simplicity of a cabin at the lake.

..... (with HD tv and high speed internet)
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
The more hectic and complex life becomes, the more we need the tranquility and simplicity of a cabin at the lake.
..... (with HD tv and high speed internet)
Heck, some of us live in a cabin on the lake year round
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
You seem to have this obsession with telling us how bad things are in the lakes region.I don't understand the constant negative posts you generate about this area.
You are "confused," I'll agree with that assertion.

I didn't say anything negative about the Lakes Region.

Heck, I like it enough I visited it this summer.

No, the issue is not what I may think, but what others may think.

Consider cabin colonies.

I recall a time when they were pretty much fully utilized, and there were more of them.

During the past decade or so, maybe longer, I've see a disturbing increase of "Vacancy" signs on them, e.g. the ones I drive by on the South Shore.

Maybe things are thriving elsewhere, but the cabins seem empty / underutilized on Rt. 11.

Consider the Weirs: it is not as popular as it used to be.

Consider the M/V Mt. Washington: same thing.

The one common characteristic the above three share is that they are "Old School."

Tastes change: that is my point.

Keep up, or fall behind.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
Weirs guy

~nothing to see here, just stay home~

Its funny that most of this summer I've heard people pining for the days of the Winni Gardens live bands and a walk on the boardwalk. Seems its all in the point of view.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Talking Deja-Vue

I kind of like the idea of everyone 'staying home' as the lake is boring. Those who loves the lake can enjoy the lake even more without the crowd.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
Argie's Wife

Default Your answer: NO!

No offence intended here but...

As a young family who lives here in the Lakes Region, I sorta take exception to your POV, as I feel that it doesn't describe us or any families I can think of.

We have kids ages 7 and 3 years old. They love anything to do with water and the lake. My oldest loves to go fishing and is begging us to buy a boat (we have a canoe - he wants something faster, of course.) Our 3 year old begs to, "go-ta-da-beeeeach!" and even did it today when it was pouring rain! Kids and water just go together.

This summer we didn't vacation but did more things in our general area. We attended concerts at Alton Bay, played mini-golf at Jay's, went to the Balloon Festival in Pittsfield, enjoyed Albee Beach in Wolfeboro - you get the idea.

The kids never complained - we got a couple of "I-wanna-go-to-Story Land" comments from the oldest but we just reminded him that what we were doing that day was "it" and he could come along or go to Nana's house. Funny, he always chose what we were doing....

My sister and her family live here in my same little town. She has three teenagers, one in college and the other two are in high school. They're on, in, and around the lake more than we are. Ditto for their friends.

I think it has to do with how you raise your kids and the values you hold. Hubby and I often say how blessed we are to live in such a great area - it's perfect for raising kids because we have the lake, mountains, beaches, etc. all within an hour or so from us.

It just doesn't get better than this!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
You are "confused," I'll agree with that assertion.

I didn't say anything negative about the Lakes Region.

Heck, I like it enough I visited it this summer.

No, the issue is not what I may think, but what others may think.

Consider cabin colonies.

I recall a time when they were pretty much fully utilized, and there were more of them.

During the past decade or so, maybe longer, I've see a disturbing increase of "Vacancy" signs on them, e.g. the ones I drive by on the South Shore.

Maybe things are thriving elsewhere, but the cabins seem empty / underutilized on Rt. 11.

Consider the Weirs: it is not as popular as it used to be.

Consider the M/V Mt. Washington: same thing.

The one common characteristic the above three share is that they are "Old School."

Tastes change: that is my point.

Keep up, or fall behind.
Lol, you're the guy who posted this summer that the Lakes Region looked like the "third world". I agree with SIKSUKR......you have an agenda, and anyone can read about that agenda by looking up your posting history. That said......I like reading your stuff, and hope you keep it up. It's alway good for a laugh.
________
Jaguar Xk150 Specifications

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
sa meredith

Default think for a second

While I agree the original poster may have an agenda...I honestly believe their is indeed some merit to what he has to say.
Any business, or in this case vaction destinantion has to change with the times. Adapt to what an evolving generation likes and wants. Think of two simple examples....in 1978, would you have believed that one day McDonalds would one day offer salad...and people would actually buy it????
And how about this...at one time Dunken Dounuts actaully had customers who bought dounuts. And they offered ONE type of coffee. (what is it now...14 flavors?) People's likes/wants change...and so did the offerings of these stores.
An area like the Weirs is probably in need of some wholesale change. I'm sure it is sentimental to many of you "lifers", but ask the former owners of Surf Coaster how the area did, in trying to continue to draw newer and larger crowds every year. And for that matter, many of the small places on the strip.
It's funny...it's a love/hate thing. On one hand, I sorta love the fact I can find myself on the strip, and it can instantly bring me back to my childhood.
Because, it looks the exact same as it did back in 1975,76,77,78,79...when we could not get out of Dad's car fast enough to run to our favorite pinball machine, and later, arcade game. But on the other, the place just has to adapt and chage eventually, IMO. I read a good letter in The Weirs Times this past August, from a gentleman who says he comes back year after
year to the Weirs. Been doing it forever...but does not know why anymore. And his kids are not crazy about it, because they end up doing the same thing every summer...he went on and on.
I guess my point is this...this idea of having a place at the lake, and relaxing, and just loving those lazy days on the lake, and hard core water ski, and wake board days...this is not what is being discussed here. This core group of "lakers" will always be there. But to truely thrive, the lake has to drawn that family of 4, to come up, stay a full week, and be ready to dump $1500/$2000 into the local economy...week after week, month after month. And I don't think this is happening...independent of current economic conditions.
Some areas (see: Meredith) are new and fresh..but others???
Just my two cents. There is a bit of merit to the original post in this thread. The area does not have to cahnge to cater to the home and camp owners...we are here, and probably not leaving. The vacation crowd??? Another story. That's all I got...
Go Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dice tonight/ Becs Saturday/ Les takes it Sunday night!
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa meredith View Post
..... I read a good letter in The Weirs Times this past August, from a gentleman who says he comes back year after
year to the Weirs. Been doing it forever...but does not know why anymore....
I had this same feeling this summer about the Weirs. I'll bet I'm not the only one. When we were teenagers, we always wanted Dad to take the boat to the Weirs. He hated it, the docks were always full and he had to squeeze in between other boats. Now we go to the Weirs when we can't get a dock at Meredith. Gringo's is our lunch fall back when the cornucopia of Meredith resturants are out of reach.

People still love the lake and always will, but some stuff needs to change with the times. Winnipesaukee is great because it gives you the mix. There are quiet spots and many distractions. Some of the mix is always right, some needs a little tweak now and again. Really is there nothing beyond mini-golf and pinball?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:46 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
With the advent of the computer and the variety of entertainment options it brings us, coupled to the phobia most of the young have against exercising, it seems that the notion of a vacation at the Lake is no longer the Top Drawer attraction it once was.

With the near-universal availability of air conditioning, there is no longer the need to go to the Lake to beat the summer heat.

Certainly this year was a bust, but the lousy economy had something to do with it.

My theory is that Modern Folks may consider the idea of spending a week or two on the side of the lake as not stimulating enough, especially given the alternatives now available.

Water skiing?

Ho-hum, the kids would rather go online. .

The Weirs?

Boring; the kids (and many parents) have more fun playing video games on their x-box at home.

For parents, a quiet cabin in the woods is not as interesting as some other options such as a cruise, or a gambling jaunt.

Tastes morph and change: Old School may no longer be enough to earn the entertainment dollar.

Time will tell.
This summer did not seem to be a bust to me. I saw plenty of boats, traffic people, etc. People are spending their $$ more carefully. If you have a good product- whether it is food, a service, etc you will be fine. Tough economic times clear some of the deadwood out- those businesses that have flawed buniess models.

I don't think you will get too many complaints if there was less traffic. BTW were you around the lake this past weekend? Pretty busy in my book!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #14
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I had this same feeling this summer about the Weirs. I'll bet I'm not the only one. When we were teenagers, we always wanted Dad to take the boat to the Weirs. He hated it, the docks were always full and he had to squeeze in between other boats. Now we go to the Weirs when we can't get a dock at Meredith. Gringo's is our lunch fall back when the cornucopia of Meredith resturants are out of reach.

People still love the lake and always will, but some stuff needs to change with the times. Winnipesaukee is great because it gives you the mix. There are quiet spots and many distractions. Some of the mix is always right, some needs a little tweak now and again. Really is there nothing beyond mini-golf and pinball?
There is no question that the Weirs needs a facelift- the honky tonk charm is wearing thin. Consider Bikeweek- the epicenter used to be the Weirs and now it is not. Bikeweek has spread out across the region- Meredi...I mean Laconia HD and Harts, Funspot, North Conway.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Mr. V

Quote:
I guess my point is this...this idea of having a place at the lake, and relaxing, and just loving those lazy days on the lake, and hard core water ski, and wake board days...this is not what is being discussed here. This core group of "lakers" will always be there. But to truely thrive, the lake has to drawn that family of 4, to come up, stay a full week, and be ready to dump $1500/$2000 into the local economy...week after week, month after month. And I don't think this is happening...independent of current economic conditions.
Bingo.

Well stated.

It is the tourists who don't seem to be coming and staying like they used to, based on my admittedly limited opportunity to scope out the issue.

As for my alleged "agenda," that's a good one.

What possible agenda could I have?

You might think my agenda is "The West Is The Best," and while it is great here in PDX, the last thing I want is for more people to discover it and move out here.

No, direct them all to Laconia, and tell them to go jump in the lake.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #16
gravy boat

Default Sad, but true

I understand Mr. V's point -- my stepdaughters (15 and 11 yrs old) text constantly. Five, ten, fifteen years ago she would be on the phone constantly. Technology changes and it's easier now -- they don't need to work at entertaining themselves...it's as easy as typing a few keystrokes or logging on or turned on the Xbox.

I watch my stepdaughters and look back and compare life as a 15 year old NOW with a 15 yeas old THEN. Based on my observations I see the difference as pretty simple: We as a society have grown lazy (in GENERAL) and allowed outside influences to impact our children more than we should, in my opinion. Children rely on electronics to entertain them. Children watch TV, MTV and various cable shows such as Tila Tequila and the like ... and they watch and learn. And for some reason, we let them. We have allowed our children to expect to be entertained, electronically stimulated, etc. We limit the girls on TV viewing and electronics when they are with us -- unfortunately, they are with us only every other weekend these days. We spend time on the lake together and with friends (and their friends are welcome to come up anytime), and skiing at Gunstock in the winter.

When the girls spend time with each other, family and friends instead of watching TV, on the internet or texting they are noticeably better behaved and communicative.

Back to the point -- what we teach our kids (the people who will inherit our lake properties and carry on traditions) is what they will keep with them into adulthood. There is so much more out there for families to do together, even if there's not a lot of money to go around these days. It's matter of not being lazy parents.

Just my two cents....although I probably gave you more than a nickel on that one!

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #17
aquadocton

There are many people coming to NH during the summer season. Watch I-93 on the weekends and you will see an abundance of traffic heading north. Where are they all going? Consumers are more picky with their recreation money and the internet has opened up a new world of things to do and places to visit.

People will only do the same thing so many times before they look for something new. If an area does not change with the times, they will get passed by.
aquadocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
Island Life

Thumbs up Winnipesaukee good for the soul

Right up front: my kids love X-Box, computer games, TV, etc. and they spend far too much time using these. But they also love the Lake, where - due to the absence of electricity - we have none of those things. My oldest, 12, says the lake is the only place he can truly relax. He spends long hours fishing, shooting his bow and arrows, creating games in the woods with his brother, cousins, and/or friends. He sits in front of the woodstove on rainy, chilly days and reads, or plays cards with his great-uncle. Most importantly, he gets bored - really bored - and has to figure out how to entertain himself. After some complaining and whining, he ends up doing really goofy, no-cost stuff that is wildly fun. And the best part is that 98% of the time it's something he thought up himself.

Do I expect it to stay like this forever? No. I was wild about the island as a kid but spent little time there as a teenager. I see the same thing happening with my nieces and nephews. But I came back (and love it more than ever) and they probably will, too.

Is there no technology? No. All the kids on the island have cell phones and they use them. They text each other, even when they're together in a group, they text their friends, they send each other goofy pix and videos. Sometimes it gets to be too much and they need to be told to stop, but for the most part its manageable and they're doing plenty of other things.

Do my kids enjoy doing the same things at home as they enjoy at the island? No. At home, they focus on friends, sports and technology. No creativity, no making up games in the woods, no hanging out at a bonfire with the older generation (and loving it!), no long lazy days with a book. It's as if the external stimulation in their non-island lives sucks out all memory of how fun those things are. It's only because we remove ourselves to that "quiet cabin in the woods" that they rediscover and refresh themselves. That's a decision I make - and the children make - to improve our lives.

Mr. V., I'm fortunate enough to be able to take my kids pretty much wherever I or they want to go. They've been to many different countries on 4 different continents, they go on one or two fancy snowboarding vacations every Winter/Spring, but in the summer we all agree there is only one destination: Winnipesaukee - - good for the soul.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
John A. Birdsall

Default Bust-slow-

My perspective is that for the most part the boating was not as normal, meaning that there were less power boats than normal, But there were loads more kayaks and canoes, at least in the Alton Bay area. In my travels from CT it seemed that once I hit the Epsom or Epping ( I cannot keep them streight) traffic picked up, but slowed down. Seems that there were a lot of leaf peakers at 10 PM then during the day. (slowpokes)

It seemed to me that people wise the southern part of the lake was always busy, but the boat traffic was not that much until last weekend.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:49 PM   #20
kaj

Default my teen summers...

Been summering at the lake since I was two. When I was in my teens I couldn't wait to hang out at the Weir's every night, playing games and chasing boys! Now that my kid's are that age they enjoy coming to lake every bit as much as I did but they want to do different things - water sports, drive in movie, day trips to different attractions when the weather doesn't allow for swimming. They do go to the Weir's but only a few times a summer to see what is still there and what has changed. And I walked over there even when I had the car (we are really close) but my kids insist on "cruisin" over.

Last edited by kaj; 10-17-2008 at 03:51 PM. Reason: spelling
kaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #21
66WINN

Default The Weirs has changed

Who says the Weirs hasn't changed? I remember the big attraction there was candlepin bowling. It's a world different than it used to be; but you can still make out the lanes under the arcade games. I'd rather take the kids there to bowl than to play video games. It would be a cool family activity rather than a single person plugged into a machine. But then, how many quarters did I drop into those machines when they first arrived? I would like to seem some better dining choices and maybe some more shops like Wolfboro.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 05:42 AM   #22
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66WINN View Post
Who says the Weirs hasn't changed? I remember the big attraction there was candlepin bowling. It's a world different than it used to be; but you can still make out the lanes under the arcade games. I'd rather take the kids there to bowl than to play video games. It would be a cool family activity rather than a single person plugged into a machine. But then, how many quarters did I drop into those machines when they first arrived? I would like to seem some better dining choices and maybe some more shops like Wolfboro.
But when was that, and why would someone go to the Weirs to bowl when Funspot has great lanes with loads of parking up the street?

I would love to see the Weirs revitalized but it is going to take a lot of vision and $$ to come up with the master plan to do so. If Laconia invests the money, the Weirs can be one of the nicer spots on the lake.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Grant

Never boring.

Always cool.

Good for mind, body, soul.

24x7x365

I'd move there tomorrow & never look back. In fact, one day I plan to.

My kids, fourth generation in same spot, have fun doing the same things we all did (and do).

I suspect this trend will continue.

Many times, less is more. Way more.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #24
Orion

Default Takes vision and $$

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
.......If Laconia invests the money, the Weirs can be one of the nicer spots on the lake.
I agree, but it takes a coordinated effort to do what the developers did in Meredith, which is now one of the nicest ports on the Lake. A long-term vision and development plan have made Meredith a nice mix of casual and upscale restaurants, lodging, and shops. Visually, it is stunning from all perspectives.

Weirs certainly has that potential, but it would take some sort of consolidated effort and a lot of $$, which may be a problem in today's environment. I could see it happening some day, but I don't see anything in the works.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 PM   #25
fatlazyless

Here's hoping the nine mile www.wowtrail.org gets built. Running along the railroad right of way from Belmont-Lake Winnisquam to Laconia-Paugus Bay and the Weirs, and to Meredith-Meredith Bay, it appears that the Weirs Boardwalk area would be a central section of this bicycle-walking-rollerskating-xc ski trail. The wow trail would cross over, or along side the boardwalk.

Potentially, it could increase the number of user, bicyclists-walkers-rollerskaters-cross country skiers, through the Weirs and extend the season. As a commercial business district, and a highly scenic spot with the lakeside view, any increase in user-tourists, and a longer season would probably help the jobs-economy-business for the Weirs.

Bicycling a nine mile trail could bring in visitors from April to November, and pedal up a hunger for a yummy Weirs Beach-New York style pizza w/ granola sprinkles.

A bicycle path could compliment cruising the Mount Washington or Doris E and visiting the arcades.
Old 10-18-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
M/V_Bear_II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I agree, but it takes a coordinated effort to do what the developers did in Meredith, which is now one of the nicest ports on the Lake. A long-term vision and development plan have made Meredith a nice mix of casual and upscale restaurants, lodging, and shops. Visually, it is stunning from all perspectives.
Not so much a coordinated perspective, as it is one guy with a lot of money.
M/V_Bear_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #27
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M/V_Bear_II View Post
Not so much a coordinated perspective, as it is one guy with a lot of money.
Right. It was Rusty & his millions that built Meredith. The Ames family that controls most of Weirs Beach has not shown that they have any progressive vision to change things up down there.
________
Indian cooking

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:33 PM   #28
VitaBene

Default dock space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
Right. It was Rusty & his millions that built Meredith. The Ames family that controls most of Weirs Beach has not shown that they have any progressive vision to change things up down there.
Well at least I know I can still get dock space for an ice cream then!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:50 PM   #29
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish mist View Post
If only life were that simple...

The banks were full of fear and looked the other way.

It took VC's money to get the ball rolling.

When Rusty walks, he does so with an invisible wheel barrel and it’s not for the purpose of carrying his money. It took a big set and lots of belief in oneself to accomplish the task. Job well done.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:15 AM   #30
fatlazyless

What really surprised me was when the Laconia board approved replacing two hillside, Weirs, Lakeside Ave, homes with a parking lot. It approved tearing them down and leveling the sloping lot down to a parking lot even with Lakeside Ave.

That was bizarre, and it sent a message that the board did not give a hoot how the street looks. It's like they had a row of old civil war era residential homes running along the street on hillside lots with trees and grass. And , the Laconia board of (?) approved digging it out level for a parking lot. The thinking must have been "it's their property and they can do what they want to do."

Apparently, opinions at the Laconia Zoning Board of Appeal become more concerned with appearances in the last ten years, and probably, that dug out parking lot on Lakeside Ave would not get approved today. A lot of good planning from the ZBA helped make the nearby Weirs Cumberland Farm gasoline station look pretty good for a gas station. It blends with the neighborhood, and even the thin orange stripe on the 12 car, canopy has been changed to all-white. For a couple months, after the orange stripe was removed, I notice that Cumberland found a loop hole in the zoning rules by permanently parking a 53' van trailer with Cumberland signs for advertising.

From Sept to June, Weirs Beach is shuttered up and there's not much reason to make the side trip to Lakeside Ave despite its Winnipesaukee view. With a WOW Trail path, it could bring some new visitors to the boardwalk area from April to November.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #31
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Well said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Never boring.

Always cool.

Good for mind, body, soul.

24x7x365

I'd move there tomorrow & never look back. In fact, one day I plan to.

My kids, fourth generation in same spot, have fun doing the same things we all did (and do).

I suspect this trend will continue.

Many times, less is more. Way more.
Best move we ever made was moving here from the Boston area 22+ years ago.

Note to Mr. V... Sarah Palin had good news for you seeing as you're in Portland. She moved New Hampshire to the Northwest.. I guess that makes your trip to NH alot easier!
Old 10-19-2008, 09:30 PM   #32
KellyG

I just discovered Weirs Beach last year and I absolutely love it! We went last year and this past August and I plan on going again next year. I love the beach, boardwalk, the arcades, the train ride, and just walking around. I actually like the Half Moon arcades better than Funspot. I tell everyone at work that it is a great place to bring their kids. I have a trip to Las Vegas coming up next month, but I will take Weirs Beach over Las Vegas anytime!
KellyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 06:37 PM   #33
Cal

Missed the lake this summer. The wife had never been to California so we went. Overall it sucked. Went to Los Angeles. It's a big city with over crowded 12 lane freeways and $16. for two hour parking
Aside from a quite scenic ride on the Pacific Coast Highway and perfectly sunny skys for all 7 days it was pretty much forgetable. Give me the quiet or lack thereof , with the sound of big blocks going by (in pairs).Even a rainy day at the lake would beat the hussel and bussel of a big city. I can honestly say I was glad to get home and back to work
My idea of a vacation is doing nothing and doing that slow.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #34
aquadocton

Quote:
I would love to see the Weirs revitalized but it is going to take a lot of vision and $$ to come up with the master plan to do so. If Laconia invests the money, the Weirs can be one of the nicer spots on the lake.
I believe the city owns very little property in Weirs Beach. One family owns the drive-in and volcano golf, another owns the half moon arcades and cottages and another family owns all of the pier. Unless they decide to do something with their property it will look the same for many years to come.
aquadocton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM   #35
kjbathe

I thought the Weirs was lame 20 years ago. My parents thought the same thing 20 years before that. My Grandfather sold his Weirs business some 20 years before that. And even though it really hasn't "changed" in those 60 years, it continues to be an attraction. Why? It has a public beach in a beautiful location and gives folks access to something they otherwise wouldn't have. And with that comes the need to eat, something to do to break up the time on the beach, people wanting to see and be seen, and there it is.

Hampton Beach. Salisbury Beach. Virginia Beach. Weirs Beach. At their core, they're no different. People, thankfully, just grow up and move on. The attraction is the beach.
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #36
HUH

Default The Weirs

Mills falls is a beautiful addition to Meredith ..However the traffic and general congestion is a huge downfall. Sure the weirs would be a wonderful outlet mall but I am not looking forward to the added congestion and infrastructure necessary to support it.
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #37
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well, I had bought a dock at Quayside a few years back. Liked it so much I bought a house 3 years ago. But I still say that Lake George, NY has it all over Winni. The Weirs is a run down crap pile and people around here think it is the best thing since the Micro Wave oven. Look at it. It needs to be leveled. Bike week is slowly fading into oblivion, and the traffic this year was not nearly as bad as in the past. We will see what the Hannafords does to that now. Holy Moly that is going to be fun on a summer day. Now roundabouts are planned? I would drive around the lake the Wolfeboro way but 109 is so bad in the winter.....When driving becomes a burden, and there isn't enough to do, people will stop coming. They will find somewhere else to go. We keep thinking like people that live here. Because we do. But we need to look at it from the visitors point of view. What are the awesome incentives to come here? Not everyone wants to just veg out. Not if you have kids anyway. Take a look at the town beaches. Most of them are tiny and unkempt at best. Incentive? Well maybe if you want to come up to just look at at all the houses that crowd the shoreline, or the new developments, traffic snarls, mini malls, or run down 100 yard long boardwalk, 45 mile per hour speed limit this coming year....

Passee? No, but on it's way I think.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM   #38
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbathe View Post
I thought the Weirs was lame 20 years ago. . . . . .

Hampton Beach. Salisbury Beach. Virginia Beach. Weirs Beach. At their core, they're no different. People, thankfully, just grow up and move on. The attraction is the beach.

The Weirs IS lame - that's the appeal of it. There are plenty of places in New England where your kids can experience fun with modern technology (Six Flags, etc.) but not many places left where kids can have old-fashioned fun with simpler technology. For those who don't like it, it's fine to go someplace else. But don't pave over the past to put up one more brightly lit, high-tech could-be-anywhere fun-center. There are plenty of parents who want there children to experience (every once in a while) the kind of fun we had as children. In many ways, the Weirs is like a museum.

Are my kids (almost teens) the only ones around who love the Weirs? They know how lame it is compared to other places but they still love it. Bumper cars, the old games, trading in their tickets for cheap plastic junk . . . they beg to go there 2 or 3 times a summer.

As for the beach itself, I've never been there and have no desire to do so. It's the arcades that draws us, not the beach.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #39
66WINN

Default When?

Quote:
But when was that, and why would someone go to the Weirs to bowl when Funspot has great lanes with loads of parking up the street?
Bowling at the Weirs was long before there even was a Funspot. I was just saying tounge in cheek that the Weirs has changed (although not in the past 30 years)
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 PM   #40
mets3007

Ok, This was the 1st summer in a long time I did not make it to the Weirs. I missed going alot and here is why. I live in Queens, NY, we have no lakes which makes Lake Winni pesaukee special, I also do not have any arcades around here like they have in NH, the people are nicer up there than in NYC as well. I will be honest the Weirs is old and yes it is falling apart. What the Weirs has is charm and the beauty of the Lake, what it does not have is a paint job. I swear I do not think the Mount area has been painted in years which makes it look old. I also feel a new fence could be put on the boardwalk, since that green fence is rotted away. I also feel thats all it needs, people will come to the Weirs beacause, its peaceful, the beauty, the arcades, and the old fashioned charm of the area.If some people do not like it then dont come, I will be back there hopefully next Summer and I cant wait to see good old Weirs and its charm.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #41
Lake Charm

Default Old, but not that old.....

The lake and the region could be considered somewhat passe by today's
standards...but hearing the Theme from ' A Summer Place' brings it all back to life.

Gotta Love It!
Lake Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #42
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Charm View Post
The lake and the region could be considered somewhat passe by today's
standards...but hearing the Theme from ' A Summer Place' brings it all back to life.

Gotta Love It!
Funny you should mention , I saw "A Summer Place" at the Oak Birch Inn theater in Alton Bay summer of '60 or '61. My parents didn't realize it was as "racy" as it was. Talk about an early education
Maybe the Weirs is a rathole , but it brings back a simpler time with a special charm for me
Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #43
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Weirs brings back the simpler day

I have to agree that many of the kids of today prefer the faster pace of six flags or hampton beach, etc. But I visit the lake many times during the year, all seasons included, during the summer, there is never a parking place to be had at the Weirs, the arcades are packed with people, the food stands are busy with people buying and eating, etc.

As far as it being run down, I am not so sure I see that side of it, the arcade area has been recently painted, or at least it looked that way a couple weeks ago. It has a way of making you feel like you have stepped back in time. Kind of like Coney Island in New York where everything has stayed the same for many, many years. It brings you back to the simpler day when walking along a boardwalk was what was done.

Look at the Boardwalks in California, they are backed with people and they are no more modern than the Weirs, just larger.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #44
HUH

Default Passe

Passe is fantastic.. smaller crowds, shorter lines, fewer nimrods on the lake.. Say it aint so ! Bring on "Passe"
Old 11-01-2008, 01:42 AM   #45
Mr. V

Well, it's good to see that SOME things at / near Weirs Beach never become passe'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6Dpo8PE3TM
Old 11-01-2008, 09:17 AM   #46
sa meredith

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUH View Post
Passe is fantastic.. smaller crowds, shorter lines, fewer nimrods on the lake.. Say it aint so ! Bring on "Passe"
Um, I don't think any business owner would quite agree with you there.
I have a hard time thinking a guy, let's say, selling pizza, would be standing outside of his shop on the strip, waxing poetic about the small lines, and lack of a crowd.
Or the owner of a marina saying, "wow, it sure is nice to have available slips, and, God, am I happy about not selling too much gas."
Or a waitress saying "well, I only had three parties tonight, but, you know what? It was nice and peaceful in the restaurant. Small crowd, nice and quiet."
You sorta need people (read: customers) in large numbers, to make things go.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #47
HUH

Quote:
Um, I don't think any business owner would quite agree with you there.
I have a hard time thinking a guy, let's say, selling pizza, would be standing outside of his shop on the strip, waxing poetic about the small lines, and lack of a crowd.
Or the owner of a marina saying, "wow, it sure is nice to have available slips, and, God, am I happy about not selling too much gas."
Or a waitress saying "well, I only had three parties tonight, but, you know what? It was nice and peaceful in the restaurant. Small crowd, nice and quiet."
You sorta need people (read: customers) in large numbers, to make things go.
As a local business owner I get the idea. I actualy like the area more in the off season "call me crazy". If you arnt running your business in a way that can weather the cyclic slow times that have always existed here then you should rethink your business plan. The reason the area is such a wonderful place to live and do business are these seasonal changes IMHO. Attracting more and more people to the area will inevitably be its downfall. The reputation for being a zoo has already affected Lake Winni's popularity. And to be honest im loving every minute of it.. so quiet you can hear the loons
Old 11-02-2008, 04:52 AM   #48
CEP

I think things are to expensive and people can't afford to go anywhere, especially if they have children.
As prices for things start to fall, people will return.

CEP
CEP is offline   Reply With Quote