Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2020, 04:11 AM   #101
JEEPONLY
Deceased Member

Default Has anything really changed?

When I was in high school, I worked as a delivery boy for a corner-store pharmacy- way before CVS/Rite Aid/Walmart (you get it). This was in a city with a population of today's Manchester, but higher population density.

The owner was a great guy- young and business minded.

We delivered to MANY welfare recipients (some addresses were on slummy streets, others were in actual ghettos). I can remember going to some of these places having back-yard beer parties/plenty of cigarette smoking/and other!

To be fair, some addresses were in different type neighborhoods and deliveries were to disabled people.

I remember hearing a conversation he (the owner) once had with another adult. The other asked him why he encouraged welfare.

His response: They pay full price, and they pay on time!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #102
Flylady

Default Unemployment ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
I have been following a local pizza place on FB that has been closed after trying take out early on.
Initially, the owner said May 1st would be his new opening for take out date.
I messaged him earlier today as we were going to order food tonight.

Here is his message:

”WE ARE TRYING TO REOPEN BUT I’M STRUGGLING TO GET EMPLOYEES BACK IN HERE. THEY ARE MAKING DOUBLE ON UNEMPLOYMENT WHAT THEY NORMALLY WERE. IT’S A NATIONWIDE PROBLEM”

So sad and not a good thing for reopening the economy. Serious mistakes Have been made that may well be the last nail in the coffin for small business.
Each state has different laws regarding unemployment. In CA. if you are called back by your employer and do not go...your unemployment stops! If the call back has less hours than you originally had, then unemployment will make up the different of the reduction. The $600.00 from the Feds may or may not have any impact as the way benefits are calculated they in general would only cover you for about 60% to 70% of your normal wage.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:48 PM   #103
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I agree that people like Hill's daughter should be getting more, and some $1200 recipients less. But maybe his "cause" was a food bank that has seen demand double over the past few weeks because so many hairdressers, waiters, and others are out of work? That would have been a much better use of the money that sending it back or refusing it. Food banks and pantries are especially hard hit now, not only are more people in need, but donations of food are drying up.
I honestly do not get this. Please educate me.

Everyone earning below 75K/yr received or will receive $1200 PLUS $500 per child.

SSI recipients that did not have to file in 2018/19 has or will received $1200.

Those unemployed are receiving an ADDITIONAL $600/wk. This is more money than they would be making if they stayed or went back to work.

Why are food banks so overrun?

I have passed by 3 different town food banks distributions over the last 3 weeks and the lines are longer than the food supply lasts! I honestly do not get it.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:46 AM   #104
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts
Default Stimulus checks to foreigners

Keep paying your taxes! People in foreign countries need YOUR money!

“One day I just saw my account and I had 1,200 bucks without even requesting anything,” said a French citizen who completed a graduate program at University of Toledo in 2018. “I knew they were planning to give stimulus payments but I didn’t know when it was happening.”

The student left the U.S. in January 2019 and now lives in Zurich.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...workers-228974
Old 05-04-2020, 07:49 AM   #105
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post

Everyone earning below 75K/yr received or will receive $1200 PLUS $500 per child.

Those unemployed are receiving an ADDITIONAL $600/wk. This is more money than they would be making if they stayed or went back to work.

I have passed by 3 different town food banks distributions over the last 3 weeks and the lines are longer than the food supply lasts! I honestly do not get it.
What don't you get? They live pay check to pay check. They have no money. Some people have not got that $1200 check yet and some others have not got unemployment money yet. Food is an essential item to survive. No one should go hungry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (05-05-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #106
dickiej

Outdoorsman....please think about how serious this problem is for millions of Americans....they have no job, no money coming in, no savings (most Americans can not save...they barely get by as it is). They are caught up in the unemployment quagmire, still waiting for approval. They have no way to buy food, pay rent, pay utilities or even put fuel in their car. They are desperate and, in many cases, panic stricken. All this as a result of no fault of their own. Please show some compassion and count your blessings if you are healthy, have a roof over your head and food in your refrigerator.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
Flylady (05-04-2020), garysanfran (05-04-2020), JEEPONLY (05-05-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (05-04-2020), thinkxingu (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #107
garysanfran

Default I know way too many people...

With no, or little savings, and an income I would not find adequate. Several of them get hit with an unexpected $200 expense...Auto repair, failing appliance, etc. and they can't afford it. I have stepped in to help when I can but the demand could be (will be) endless. A blip in their life, like losing their minimum wage job, is devastating.

I would venture the guess that most people on this Forum are "relatively" well off financially...Probably retired with a 401K, IRA, SSI, savings, etc...Maybe a new Jet Ski?

A differing perspective than through one's own eyes.... may make one a bit more humble with one's own comfort.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-04-2020), dickiej (05-04-2020), Flylady (05-04-2020), JEEPONLY (05-05-2020), tbonies (05-04-2020), TheRoBoat (05-04-2020), thinkxingu (05-04-2020), VitaBene (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #108
Grant

Here's an example of how broken the system is: I just received a stimulus check for my mother, who died two years ago.

The check, made out to her, with my name and address listed as "c/o," even had "DCSD" (deceased) after her name.

Now I have to return it.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #109
FlyingScot

Quote:

Food banks are overrun because their clientele lives paycheck to paycheck, with virtually nothing in the bank, if they even have a bank account. So when you say "will receive", that's a problem for those already on the edge. The Greater Boston Food Bank, just for example, has seen its daily demand double because of this.

Their donations are drying up because they get lots of free food from supermarkets and others that have excess. The empty shelves that we've seen are reflective of excess food in the food chain drying up. Also, shrinking incomes and stock portfolios leave many cash donors with less to give.

So they are squeezed at both ends. If you'd like to make a donation, here's a link: https://www.gbfb.org/
Old 05-04-2020, 10:30 AM   #110
Sue Doe-Nym

Default A postscript to Dickiej’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Outdoorsman....please think about how serious this problem is for millions of Americans....they have no job, no money coming in, no savings (most Americans can not save...they barely get by as it is). They are caught up in the unemployment quagmire, still waiting for approval. They have no way to buy food, pay rent, pay utilities or even put fuel in their car. They are desperate and, in many cases, panic stricken. All this as a result of no fault of their own. Please show some compassion and count your blessings if you are healthy, have a roof over your head and food in your refrigerator.
While you are counting your blessings, next time you’re shopping for food for your own family, why not stock up on some pasta, rice, canned goods and other staples for your local food bank? People are hurting, and whether or not they’ve mismanaged their finances and neglected to save for a rainy day, this is not the time for any of us to be critical. Be generous.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Biggd (05-04-2020), dickiej (05-04-2020), JEEPONLY (05-05-2020), thinkxingu (05-04-2020), VitaBene (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #111
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Here's an example of how broken the system is: I just received a stimulus check for my mother, who died two years ago.

The check, made out to her, with my name and address listed as "c/o," even had "DCSD" (deceased) after her name.

Now I have to return it.

Now why doesn't that surprise me. And it just makes more work for you too.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #112
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post

Now I have to return it.
It’s difficult to realize that anyone, even someone immersed in bureaucracy, could be that brain dead when it comes to sending a check to a deceased person. Since I have too much time on my hands, I decided that perhaps that person didn’t understand what DCSD stood for. Here are some of the possibilities: Domestic Commission for Sexual Deviants, Democratic Committee on Senile Dementia, Dedicated Choreographers of Social Distancing, Deranged Candidate Seeking Delegates, and so on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (05-06-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #113
ApS

Arrow Checks Refused to Those Who Refuse to Return to Work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
It requires the company to report back to the state that the employee refuses to come back. Not a way to build employee/employer relations.
370 employees at Missouri pork plant tested positive for Wuhan virus. All were asymptomatic.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-asymptomatic/
Old 05-04-2020, 04:26 PM   #114
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

370 employees at Missouri pork plant tested positive for Wuhan virus. All were asymptomatic.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...-asymptomatic/
Why do you just litter these threads with news feeds we can all read elsewhere online? Don't you have any original thoughts of your own that you would like to share?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-05-2020, 12:41 PM   #115
ApS

Arrow It's Not Nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Why do you just litter these threads with news feeds we can all read elsewhere online? Don't you have any original thoughts of your own that you would like to share?
If you read up-thread, the US food supply is becoming increasingly imperiled.

I wish I could say it's an original thought, but this virus could fundamentally alter this country's future and put China ascendant.

China's influence has already crept into the US media, and is increasingly funding and inserting media correspondents. Note the reluctance to mention China and coronavirus in the same news story.

Corruption by China has even reached Congress!

Congress' corruption may lead to November's mail-in ballots, affecting mostly "swing states" and their electoral votes.

https://dbdailyupdate.com/index.php/...se-government/
Hillcountry (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 01:37 PM   #116
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
While you are counting your blessings, next time you’re shopping for food for your own family, why not stock up on some pasta, rice, canned goods and other staples for your local food bank? People are hurting, and whether or not they’ve mismanaged their finances and neglected to save for a rainy day, this is not the time for any of us to be critical. Be generous.
Heath's used to have bags setup that you could buy at checkout and then they went to the food bank. I haven't noticed them recently.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #117
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Food banks are overrun because their clientele lives paycheck to paycheck, with virtually nothing in the bank, if they even have a bank account. So when you say "will receive", that's a problem for those already on the edge. The Greater Boston Food Bank, just for example, has seen its daily demand double because of this.

Their donations are drying up because they get lots of free food from supermarkets and others that have excess. The empty shelves that we've seen are reflective of excess food in the food chain drying up. Also, shrinking incomes and stock portfolios leave many cash donors with less to give.

So they are squeezed at both ends. If you'd like to make a donation, here's a link: https://www.gbfb.org/
Thank you. I went to their site, I wish they had a paypal option. I find it to be more secure and easier. There is a food pantry in Moultonborough that I just donated to https://www.foodpantries.org/ci/nh-moultonborough
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-05-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #118
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Heath's used to have bags setup that you could buy at checkout and then they went to the food bank. I haven't noticed them recently.
My recollection is that the food bags at Heath’s were available during the various holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. That’s a good idea, but I would rather make my own selections.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #119
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
If you read up-thread, the US food supply is becoming increasingly imperiled.

I wish I could say it's an original thought, but this virus could fundamentally alter this country's future and put China ascendant.

China's influence has already crept into the US media, and is increasingly funding and inserting media correspondents. Note the reluctance to mention China and coronavirus in the same news story.

Corruption by China has even reached Congress!

Congress' corruption may lead to November's mail-in ballots, affecting mostly "swing states" and their electoral votes.

https://dbdailyupdate.com/index.php/...se-government/
Wrong answer! It should have been, "because I have I have nothing better to do".
Old 05-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #120
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
That seems incredibility rude. Counting my blessings? That has no bearing on my prior question!

Had you seen my prior non-covid posts, you would know that I volunteer AND I donate to organizations. Please don't try to make me look like I hold myself "above" others!
Old 05-05-2020, 07:02 PM   #121
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
That seems incredibility rude. Counting my blessings? That has no bearing on my prior question!

Had you seen my prior non-covid posts, you would know that I volunteer AND I donate to organizations. Please don't try to make me look like I hold myself "above" others!
You, Outdoorsman, clearly have a reading or comprehension problem. My response had nothing to do with your post, but was a response to dickiej’s. There was nothing in my post that was rude, nor was there any intention to offend anyone. Most of us have a lot to be grateful for, and my point was that while we are counting our blessings, we should be thinking of others and stocking up on things to donate to others. So....get off your high horse and do something constructive for someone else.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #122
Susie Cougar

Quote:

Well then color me confused. If you volunteer at these organizations, how can you not understand?