Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-04-2008, 11:00 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,959 Times in 1,924 Posts
Default Winter Island Vehicle

I am curious what some of you island dwellers use for vehicles in the winter to get to your camps once the ice is safe...

I know a snowmobile is probably the most widely used for transport, but I was thinking that something like an Arctic Cat prowler as shown in link below would be a great vehicle. It is heavier than a snowmobile but, fully enclosed with heat, four wheel drive, lots of power, ability to tow a utility trailer and can be used year round as well around your regular home. Seems like a great rig with a lot of potential year round uses as opposed to a snowmobile which can only be used in the winter.

Thoughts anyone??

Thanks!

Dan

http://www.arcticcatpowersports.com/...-savings-event

Last edited by ishoot308; 12-04-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Woodsy

ishoot...

While I am sure they work just fine in certain condidtions, there are many problems with this vehicle and others like it when using them on the ice...

1. They are heavy and tend to get stuck in deep snow.

2. It might have a difficult time negotiating pressure ridges.

3. Getting on & off the ice sometimes means crossing some shallow open water.

3. The enclosed cabin concerns me.... should you fall thru the ice (god forbid) would you be able to open the doors and get out???

Woodsy
Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanks Woodsy;

Point well taken about going through the ice and traveling over pressure ridges! They apparently also make a track attachment for this rig for snow use. The wheels come off and track goes on. I'm hoping someone on the forum has one or has tried one.

Dan
Old 12-04-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Fwiw

I would stay away from the Prowler. Either head towards Yamaha's Rhino or Polaris Ranger Line of UTVs. Woodsy brings up good points. You might as well head out on the ice with a Toyota Pickup 4x4, these are heavy and if you encounter Pressure Ridges, or open water at the edge, you are essentially stopped in your tracks. Also with the wheels on the low bellypan clearance can be an issue in deep snow. The track kits are great and will go over or thru most things. However you are adding another $3000 plus to the cost. Snowmobile or hovercraft. Those are you best bets if you need to have dependable transportation to the island in the winter.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #5
Bear Islander

This is my ride to the island, "back country" skis with half skins. No weight problems and never need refueling. Plus pictures of wife and son for inspiration.
Attached Images

Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
Mee-n-Mac (12-04-2008)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #6
ishoot308

WBB;

Thanks for your input...

The hovercraft or snowmobile sound good if its just people you are carrying for simple transportation, but if you want to remove or add furniture or appliances during the winter months when the lake is frozen over, I would think something that can tow or haul a utility trailer with skis or similar would be better. I realize the ice obviously needs to be thick enough, but I live in the area and coordinating heavy hauling off the island when ice is safe shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe spending the money on the track option would be well worth it...

Thanks again!

Dan
Old 12-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
WBB;

Thanks for your input...

The hovercraft or snowmobile sound good if its just people you are carrying for simple transportation, but if you want to remove or add furniture or appliances during the winter months when the lake is frozen over, I would think something that can tow or haul a utility trailer with skis or similar would be better. I realize the ice obviously needs to be thick enough, but I live in the area and coordinating heavy hauling off the island when ice is safe shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe spending the money on the track option would be well worth it...

Thanks again!

Dan
You'd be surprised how much weight a snowmobile can pull, some simple skis mounted under a heafty load shouldn't be a problem for a moderatly powered machine
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #8
Mee-n-Mac

Wink Old School ?

How about one of these ? I'd worry about it's ability in deep snow though I think you can get (?snow?) tracks for these 6 wheelers too. You wouldn't have to worry about drowning / sinking though getting from the water back onto the ice might be problematical. Plus it would be unique !

If you really think the ice is safe, I'd guess your best bet is a used 4WD pickup or SUV. Bet you can get one cheap now and they have other uses than driving on the frozen lake.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2008, 07:39 AM   #9
codeman671

Default I miss this toy...

If you want the ultimate in comfort, safety (and warmth) forget about snowmobiles and ATV's, look into one of these.

You can sometimes find a used one on Ebay for $20-30k, new will run $50k-60k. Do a search of "airboat" for threads by myself or Sunset Bob.

Did Jon help you on the insurance?
Attached Images

codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,015 Times in 921 Posts
Default Pressure ridges

When the ice is safe for island travel, there is often a pressure ridge about 100 yards off the windward side of islands. That is the case for Welch Island, the ice pack drifts SE with the prevailing NW wind where the ice against the island is resistant. Often there is open surface water on one side of the ridge with ice under the surface water.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
ishoot308

Codeman;

The wife is working on the insurance today... I gave her the info as well as a couple of other recommended agents. We will see what happens.

About the air boat...Lets say i wanted to move a refrigerator, couch or something similar, can you do that with the air boat??

Thanks!

Dan
Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
WeirsBeachBoater

I was just sitting here thinking, How it seems difficult to get a Fridge across to an island in the winter. Then I thought about how back in the early 1900 they used to move buildings across the ice.... Ala Diamond Island House to Weirs....
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Maybe five different times, I've seen someone go from Cattle Landing (I'm guessing) out to either Mark or maybe Mink Island while on cross country skis and pulling a home-made looking haul sled also on skis.

It's a case of slow but sure wins the race. Let's see....a shopping trip to the Etcetera Shop for some used wood cross country skis, boots and poles....and building a ski-sled hauler.

And, you are good to go, for short money. Nothing like a little physical labor to get to appreciate getting there.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #14
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Maybe five different times, I've seen someone go from Cattle Landing (I'm guessing) out to either Mark or maybe Mink Island while on cross country skis and pulling a home-made looking haul sled also on skis.

It's a case of slow but sure wins the race. Let's see....a shopping trip to the Etcetera Shop for some used wood cross country skis, boots and poles....and building a ski-sled hauler.

And, you are good to go, for short money. Nothing like a little physical labor to get to appreciate getting there.
FLL:

By any chance did you happen to see this same person hauling a refrigerator or couch in his ski sled hauler??

Dan
Old 12-06-2008, 07:03 AM   #15
codeman671

I don't think that I would put a couch or a refrigerator in it, but how often are you hauling something so big in the winter? They make a larger version, a 24' that definitely could but you are talking big $$$. Mine sat 6 people. If you are planning on needing a couch or a refrigerator moved, if you close in the next week or two like you mentioned you can still get there by boat until late December. ISS still has workboats in and will usually until the week of ice-in.

If you really needed to haul something so big in the winter over ice, ISS can put it in his airboat, his is more of a work horse than mine was. He has an open style.

I bought mine for safe accessibility whenever I wanted to get out there. You never have to worry about ice conditions. The transitions from water to ice and back were seemless.

FYI- I don't know if the Prowlers have heat as an option. I did not see anything about heat on the Cat website. The Kubota RTV series does have heat though.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

A snowmobile will easily pull another snowmobille,weighing 500-600lbs,even up a hill.You could easily tow a refrigerator or couch on any trailer with runners.A hovercraft or airboat will not pull a load.Wheeled vehicles will get bogged down in deep snow including my Dodge 2500 4x4 .
Years ago,I bought a small used Tucker Sno Cat from one of the ski areas and it was great.Enclosed,heated....go anywhere and pull anything......outside of that I'd stay with a snowmobile.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote