Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-28-2024, 09:16 AM   #1
Lake Winnipesaukee Alliance

Default Cyanobacteria Warnings in Lake Winni

Over the last 48 hours we have received reports of the Cyanobacteria, Gloeotrichia, in various parts of Lake Winnipesaukee. We are working with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services to collaborate on sampling areas of high density, and tracking any additional reports. Use the NHDES Healthy Swimming Mapper to view current warnings, watches and observations.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/dashboar...571b222c78447b

If you suspect a Cyanobacteria bloom, please report it to the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services. Take photos, document your location, description of your observation, contact info and send it to NHDES using the reporting form below and LWA by emailing brossiter@winnipesaukee.org

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/1...gRhZAi78uo8ddg

Please see this 2022 Fact Sheet on Gloeotrichia from NHDES. “When in doubt,stay out.” If you were swimming in areas with suspected bloom conditions- shower immediately. Kids and pets are especially at risk due to ingestion. Please, be smart, be safe, and head to www.winnipesaukee.org to find out what you can do to help protect Lake Winnipesaukee.

https://www.des.nh.gov/news-and-medi...u5TlLBjb_abp0A
Attached Images

The Lake Winnipesaukee Alliance (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Alliance is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lake Winnipesaukee Alliance For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-28-2024), Grant (08-28-2024), LakeTimes (08-30-2024), welch100 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 04:29 PM   #2
retired

West Alton, Spring Haven was clear today. Enjoyed a nice swim.
Happy Labor Day to everyone.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 08:39 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

https://indepthnh.org/2024/08/30/sun...t-kill-people/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 10:38 AM   #4
Biggd

Thanked 1,131 Times in 715 Posts

Very quiet up here this weekend. I wonder if the news of bad water quality kept people home?
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2024, 11:38 AM   #5
thinkxingu

Thanked 2,020 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Very quiet up here this weekend. I wonder if the news of bad water quality kept people home?
I think more likely the weather? And the water hasn't really been warm for a few weeks now...

Edited to add: the weekend weather turned out much better than originally forecast and the water wasn't too cold, though I did notice a lot more people just hanging on their boats rather than swimming.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 09-02-2024 at 07:24 AM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2024, 12:08 PM   #6
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Gov. Sununu wasn't too happy with DES. Not good timing for the holiday weekend.

https://indepthnh.org/2024/08/30/sun...t-kill-people/
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rick35 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-31-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 01:45 AM   #7
SAB1

The closing paragraph says DES is doing as good as possible with only one person handling Cyanobacteria issue…..

Little thin on staffing if that’s the State’s staffing level …….
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 06:20 AM   #8
longislander

After $800,000 Treatment in Spring, Cyanobacteria Back on Lake Kanasatka, and Others
By PAULA TRACY, InDepthNH.org August 29, 2024

Numerous articles on this

https://indepthnh.org/

https://indepthnh.org/2024/08/29/aft...ka-and-others/

https://indepthnh.org/2024/08/28/a-f...winnipesaukee/

The State owns lakes that are 10 acres or higher.
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 06:32 AM   #9
TomC

Default Property values at risk...

this study suggests a 3-4% decrease in property values can be expected due to cyanobacteria.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...21800922001434
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 06:39 AM   #10
longislander

And that was in 2022.

Ecological Economics Volume 199 , September 2022, 107481
Old 09-01-2024, 08:08 AM   #11
ApS

Arrow Biology Meets Geology...

Longislander,

Paula Tracy's article's last link refers to "a Perfect Storm" which produces cyanobacteria warnings.

That was the exact term I used when the Cyanobacteria subject first came up this season.

Left out was (among others) the extended months of an overfilled lake by the dam people. The early boating season ate away so much of our shoreline that the lake bottom couldn't been seen for the dark soil eroded from a ("new", years-long-in-the-making) shoreline that has collected the necessary nutrients for a bloom to occur.

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...7&postcount=59

Old 09-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #12
John Mercier

Since the prediction is for another warm, wet winter (predictions are never perfect)... we may see that again.

The dam operator can't just simply flood the properties downstream.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:04 AM   #13
longislander

Quote:
this study suggests a 3-4% decrease in property values can be expected due to cyanobacteria.

My last comment was in support of TomC 's post (property values).
Since it referred 2022, just think how bad it is now in 2024 and 2025 budgets already being discussed.

I didn't bother bringing up that property assessments are going up, and that property taxes will probably come up again, ad nauseum, on this forum. Maybe someone will ask ... what do you mean by ... property value? It won't be me.

The state owns the lakes, not the towns, and a Merrimack state rep. who owns property on Katnasatka has done and is doing a phenomenal job pursuing cyanobacteria pollution.
Old 09-01-2024, 09:13 AM   #14
rhubarbpie

We had planned to, but did not come up this weekend - I got really, really sick a few years back after swimming in what we thought was pollen, but was actually gleoetrichia. Not worth risking that with kids and also small dogs who like to drink from the lake.

Sununu should be ashamed of himself for saying it was safe. I realize he's trying to maintain tourism and get re-elected, but just absurd to try to throw DES under the bus. Does he want someone's dog or kid to die?
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:17 AM   #15
John Mercier

Sununu isn't running.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:16 AM   #16
rhubarbpie

Ahh thank you, my bad. In that case it makes even less sense to me that he's out there with this.
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 01:59 PM   #17
fatlazyless

Question To swim or not to swim, when the DES signs are posted into the NH sandy beach?

So, it's been my experience that when the yellow 8.5x11" fecal bacteria or the orange 8.5x11" Cyano bacteria warning signs get posted by the NH DES employee into the sandy beach at Weirs Beach, Laconia, close to the Lake Winnipesaukee water, the signs pretty much get ignored and people make their own choice on whether or not to go swimming or wading. It's like the signs are there for everyone to see, but many or most go enter the lake, despite the signs. The City of Laconia leaves the choice up to the individual as for what to do.

I do not know if this similar situation is the case at Ellacoya State Beach in Gilford because I have never been there when the yellow or orange DES signs have been posted into the water's beach sand edge? I wonder what does the Ellacoya State Beach do when the warning signs are posted? Do people still go into the water similar to Weirs Beach or is entering the State Beach water
closed?

To swim or not to swim when the NH DES signs are posted, that is the New Hampshire lake swimming and wading question.

What do you do?

Apparently, the NH DES tests the water and posts the warning signs but it is up to the NH town, city, or state to actually close the lake water from swimming/wading.

When people see others already in the lake, out beyond the warning signs, they usually go in the lake, too, because that's what they came to do, to go swimming or wading.

So, live free or die, go swimming in the Cyano green refreshing lake water because almost no local towns actually enforce the warning signs so the signs usually get ignored ...... no big deal ..... and so N.H. what?

If the local town doesn't take the NH DES warning signs too seriously, then what the hay ...... is time to go splash that cool water on a hot and humid day .... and besides, for Weirs Beach and Ellacoya State Beach, their swim beach helps to generate revenue for the city and the state beach so closing the water is a serious thing to do. No swimming probably means no money, or at least a big reduction in money.

You know, "If we was to enforce these no swimming warning signs, it would stop the people from paying to come here to the beach." Isn't that right?
Old 09-01-2024, 06:53 PM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post

A lot more than that if you look at Lake Champlain
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 12:51 AM   #19
ApS

Exclamation Caution, Will Robinson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
My last comment was in support of TomC 's post (property values).
Since it referred 2022, just think how bad it is now in 2024 and 2025 budgets already being discussed.

I didn't bother bringing up that property assessments are going up, and that property taxes will probably come up again, ad nauseum, on this forum. Maybe someone will ask ... what do you mean by ... property value? It won't be me.

The state owns the lakes, not the towns, and a Merrimack state rep. who owns property on Katnasatka has done and is doing a phenomenal job pursuing cyanobacteria pollution.
While the attempt appears to be the right thing to do, the treatment didn't hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbpie View Post
Ahh thank you, my bad. In that case it makes even less sense to me that he's out there with this.
This post and #14--above--puts this thread on thin ice (so to speak).

BTW: A neighbor was out there again wakeboarding in the dark with nav-lights on...

Old 09-02-2024, 06:58 AM   #20
longislander

The saga continues ...

https://www.unionleader.com/news/pol...a5fa82293.html
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 07:32 AM   #21
The Real BigGuy

I can’t read the article but I assume he is upset because of the potential economic damage before one of the biggest weekends of the year (I apologize if “assume” got me) but, if so, would he rather people potentially got sick? Wouldn’t that put the state at risk of legal liability and adverse publicity if someone did get sick and the found out that DES knowingly withheld its findings?

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 07:38 AM   #22
longislander

Try this URL.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sununu-sl...224900226.html
Old 09-02-2024, 08:26 AM   #23
fatlazyless

Question Thank-you NH DES for doing what you do!

Corcoran's Pond, a town owned water body in Waterville Valley, a 7-acre resort pond had two yellow fecal bacteria warning signs posted into the town sand beach from August 20 to Friday, August 30, when they got removed on Friday, August 30.

That was a totally welcome change in the pond's water condition status and excellent timing for the 8.5x11" yellow warning signs, "Unsafe for Swimming or Wading" to disappear just prior to the busy three day, Sat-Sun-Mon Labor Day weekend.

The water surface had been looking very clean and clear throughout these ten days with no visible surface growth and no ugly scum present, and there was one big rain event that lowered the water temp from about 70 down to 65-degrees which is wicked cold for swimming the deep water but ok for wading.

All throughout this summer and past summers I've been swimming a 200-yard triangle course across the pond, to the dam, and back to the beach, so I am very familiar with Corcoran's Pond plus I make it a habit to pick up small pieces of plastic and paper litter from the large sandy town beach.

This weekend has seen a lot of visitors using the beach area for volleyball, fishing, picnics, music, family, a lot of weekend visitors come to Waterville Valley on this big holiday weekend so it was great that the two yellow warning signs were gonzo on Friday. Thank-you NH DES for doing what you do!
Old 09-02-2024, 08:33 AM   #24
The Real BigGuy

Thank you, that worked!

After reading it, I have to disagree with the gov. I think it is the responsibility of the state to warn people. It then falls to the individuals to do their research and determine if the risk is acceptable to them. If the state has evidence of a “toxic” bloom and fails to notify the potentially impacted population I believe that puts them at liability for negative impacts that arise.

However, I have to agree with his concern for the use of the word “toxic.” It is one of the most overused & often misused words out there. I spent 40 years in the hazardous waste cleanup & disposal business and always had issues with environmentalists use of “toxic” for every chemical they came across. Yes, a lot of the waste we dealt with were dangerous but, I wouldn’t call them toxic unless one consumed a lot more than was humanly possible.

Dangerous puts people on warning, toxic scares the crap out of them.

Old 09-02-2024, 08:43 AM   #25
retired

This sounds familiar. When in doubt, get four vaccines, stay 6 feet away from everyone and wear a mask for the rest of your life. Does anyone trust the government anymore? You may choose to do whatever the government tells you to, but I choose to educate myself and make my own decisions.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to retired For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-02-2024), CTYankee (09-02-2024), LoveLakeLife (09-02-2024), WinnisquamZ (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 09:41 AM   #26
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Thank you, that worked!

After reading it, I have to disagree with the gov. I think it is the responsibility of the state to warn people. It then falls to the individuals to do their research and determine if the risk is acceptable to them. If the state has evidence of a “toxic” bloom and fails to notify the potentially impacted population I believe that puts them at liability for negative impacts that arise.

However, I have to agree with his concern for the use of the word “toxic.” It is one of the most overused & often misused words out there. I spent 40 years in the hazardous waste cleanup & disposal business and always had issues with environmentalists use of “toxic” for every chemical they came across. Yes, a lot of the waste we dealt with were dangerous but, I wouldn’t call them toxic unless one consumed a lot more than was humanly possible.

Dangerous puts people on warning, toxic scares the crap out of them.

It's sad to see the governor, who tries to portray himself as a reasonable guy, to be so off base here. Nobody said this would kill you, but it can give you a very bad rash, and REALLY mess you up if you are a child, dog, asthmatic, or otherwise compromised.

While we might debate the candidates to replace Sunnunu, I hope we can all agree that the next governor should take this more seriously and protect our lakes
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-02-2024), camp guy (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 11:07 AM   #27
camp guy

Default Cyanobacteria Warnings in Lake Winni

The last sentence in FlyingScot's post is all anyone needs to know about caring for our Lakes. The economy of the Lakes Region is the LAKE, whether it is swimming of boating, it is the LAKE. If the "warning" signs start appearing early in the season, the economy is at serious risk. It is a little like snow in the ski areas - no snow, poor economy.
"Jaw boning" people into protecting the Lake isn't working. We need some serious legislation designed specifically for the immediate problem. Maybe it is time, in some areas, that the "grandfather clause" be eliminated in favor of saving the ecology for our grandkids.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 11:08 AM   #28
Biggd

Thanked 1,131 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
This sounds familiar. When in doubt, get four vaccines, stay 6 feet away from everyone and wear a mask for the rest of your life. Does anyone trust the government anymore? You may choose to do whatever the government tells you to, but I choose to educate myself and make my own decisions.
Yes, but this information also shouldn't be suppressed by the government. You can't make that decision without the information, from however you choose to believe.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 11:20 AM   #29
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The last sentence in FlyingScot's post is all anyone needs to know about caring for our Lakes. The economy of the Lakes Region is the LAKE, whether it is swimming of boating, it is the LAKE. If the "warning" signs start appearing early in the season, the economy is at serious risk. It is a little like snow in the ski areas - no snow, poor economy.

"Jaw boning" people into protecting the Lake isn't working. We need some serious legislation designed specifically for the immediate problem. Maybe it is time, in some areas, that the "grandfather clause" be eliminated in favor of saving the ecology for our grandkids.
“The grandfather clause”. Absolutely should be abolished. Two neighbors of mine are still on leaching fields.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-02-2024), FlyingScot (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 01:11 PM   #30
John Mercier

I thought for septic systems it was anything within 100 feet of a public system had to hook up, or get a municipal waiver if the system was newer?
Old 09-02-2024, 01:49 PM   #31
ApS

Question Political in Nature...

ALS, a fatal disease with ties to the prevailing wind's shores of lakes from Lake Champlain to Maine.

On Lake Winnipesaukee, Tuftonboro is a major target of wind driven cyanobacteria--and their spores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It's sad to see the governor, who tries to portray himself as a reasonable guy, to be so off base here. Nobody said this would kill you, but it can give you a very bad rash, and REALLY mess you up if you are a child, dog, asthmatic, or otherwise compromised.

While we might debate the candidates to replace Sunnunu, I hope we can all agree that the next governor should take this more seriously and protect our lakes
Repeatedly, this forum hasn't been the place to debate the candidates. (Or any candidates).

If one reads the article from The Union Leader, the Governor had asked the NHDES Director to not be ''alarmist".

Since everyone here knows what letter [ ✓ ] follows this Governor's name, I'll tag this thread as "political".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (09-02-2024), WinnisquamZ (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 01:57 PM   #32
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I thought for septic systems it was anything within 100 feet of a public system had to hook up, or get a municipal waiver if the system was newer?
City system is more than one mile away uphill. Was told grandfathered until property deed changes hand.

Old 09-02-2024, 01:59 PM   #33
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
ALS, a fatal disease with ties to the prevailing wind's shores of lakes from Lake Champlain to Maine.

On Lake Winnipesaukee, Tuftonboro is a major target of wind driven cyanobacteria--and their spores.

Repeatedly, this forum hasn't been the place to debate the candidates. (Or any candidates).

If one reads the article from The Union Leader, the Governor had asked the NHDES Director to not be ''alarmist".

Since everyone here knows what letter [ ✓ ] follows this Governor's name, I'll tag this thread as "political".
You are correct.

Old 09-02-2024, 02:18 PM   #34
The Real BigGuy

Stop trying to make everything a political issue. It isn’t until you push it that way.

No government should hide potential health issues because it is concerned about a negative economic reaction. That would be no different than cigarette companies hiding potential cancer ramifications of smoking. Look where that got them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-02-2024), FlyingScot (09-02-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 05:59 PM   #35
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

Since Sununu isn't running. I don't think he had a political reason for his reaction.
More likely it is because DES doesn't have a definite solution - personally not sure there is one. It seemed more like frustration to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
longislander (09-03-2024)
Old 09-02-2024, 06:23 PM   #36
Mr. V

Dogs are used in Sandpoint, Idaho to get rid of geese.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...of-pet-dogs-t/
Old 09-08-2024, 10:47 AM   #37
ApS

Default Takeaway, Majeure...

From your article, a major takeaway:

Quote:
"Still, these lethal methods still didn’t keep other geese away.
The green park with its groomed grass along the water was just too attractive

A few years ago the city even hired a professional dog to chase the geese."
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2024, 11:05 AM   #38
WinnisquamZ

The geese need to be terminated. Wash and repeat as required

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-17-2024), Biggd (09-08-2024)
Old 09-08-2024, 07:50 PM   #39
John Mercier

We can't hunt them in most areas of the Winnipesaukee watershed.
Old 09-09-2024, 06:58 PM   #40
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
We can't hunt them in most areas of the Winnipesaukee watershed.
To quote John Mayall: "The Laws Must Change."
ACME on the Broads (09-17-2024), wolfegirl (09-11-2024)