Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2024, 09:51 AM   #1
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Exclamation First Cyanobacteria Warnings of 2024 Issued for Lake Winnipesaukee

Yesterday, the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) issued the first Cyanobacteria Warnings (previously Advisories) on Lake Winnipesaukee for 2024. The initial total cyanobacteria density for the sample collected at Nineteen Mile Beach was 561,000 cells/mL and density for Carry Beach was 160,000 cells/mL. Warnings are implemented when cell counts exceed 70,000 cells/mL. The taxa Dolichospermum was identified in both samples, and Aphanothece was also found in the Nineteen Mile Bay sample.

To stay up to date on these warnings, I highly suggest that you sign up for NHDES Waterbody Specific Notifications. You can check the status of the warnings and alerts using the Healthy Swimming Mapper. We will be updating the LWA Cyanobacteria page and tracking map this week. If you suspect a bloom, please use the NHDES Reporting Tool and contact LWA. The blooms in Wolfeboro are described as "thick green material mixed with swirls of yellow pollen along the shoreline." The Tuftonboro blooms are described as "green clouds thoroughly mixed into the water on the shoreline." All samples had pollen mixed in. Any surface scum should be avoided, especially if the material is green.

There are numerous factors that play into when and where cyanobacteria blooms occur and it is almost impossible to point directly to one source. Cyanobacteria feed on nutrients and sunlight. Limited ice in, fertilizer use, polluted stormwater runoff, erosion, and failing septic systems are just a few of these factors. Less ice = more sunlight, more sunlight = increased plant/algae growth.

How can you help? LWA works on Watershed Management Plans throughout the watershed by Bay, identifying sites in need of remediation (failing culverts, lacking vegetation, poor maintenance etc.) on public property. Private property owners can do their part to adopt Lake-Friendly practices like retrofitting drains that empty directly into the lake, taking proper care of their septic systems, stopping fertilizer usage (especially those containing phosphates), pick up their pet waste, break up their lawn with native plantings, and designate walking paths to minimize soil compaction that leads to erosion. Please visit www.winnipesaukee.org for more info on how you can do your part to minimize excessive nutrients from entering the lake.

Stay safe!
Bree Rossiter
Conservation Program Manager
Attached Images

The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:29 PM   #2
ApS

Arrow As Some Might Recall My Citing Here Last Week...

Hmmm.

The same waters where lawns are mowed--especially on Thursdays.
ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 12:48 PM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,394 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Hmmm.

The same waters where lawns are mowed--especially on Thursdays.
Where are you talking about?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 01:14 PM   #4
ApS

Red face North of Wolfeboro Neck--Winter Harbor...

Both Tuftonboro- and Wolfeboro- Neck waters.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:30 PM   #5
dickiej

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Where are you talking about?
Green lawn means fertilizer which causes Cyanobacteria
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-14-2024), Charlie T (06-13-2024), Susie Cougar (06-13-2024)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2024, 03:14 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,997 Times in 1,939 Posts
Default Pollen?

Looks like pollen to me…

Dan
AC2717 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 03:34 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Looks like pollen to me…

Dan
Agree. Its pollen. We got the same warning over here on Winnisquam

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 04:01 PM   #8
ApS

Question Consider the Source, But...

Quote:
Looks like pollen to me…Dan
My first thought...

but...

Old 06-13-2024, 04:04 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Looks like pollen to me…

Dan
That's a limitation of the photography, unfortunately, you need to read the fine print. According to the lab testing, the cyanobacteria is the green mass underneath the pollen.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:10 PM   #10
WinnisquamZ

This happens every year since I have been coming to the lake. That would be around 1968. Just not sure what the issue is

Old 06-13-2024, 06:21 PM   #11
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
This happens every year since I have been coming to the lake. That would be around 1968. Just not sure what the issue is

Did you read the above? Look at the counts? Pretty big issue. You should attend meetings on this subject.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 06:30 PM   #12
tis

Quote:
Looks like pollen to me…

Dan
i thought that too.
Old 06-13-2024, 06:32 PM   #13
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Did you read the above? Look at the counts? Pretty big issue. You should attend meetings on this subject.
Bull. Nothing but a money grab. There is nothing that can be done to avoid it from happening. It’s natural

Old 06-13-2024, 07:34 PM   #14
Charlie T

Default Gilford will be next

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Green lawn means fertilizer which causes Cyanobacteria
I would expect Saunders Bay, Smith Cove and the areas around Governors Island to have problems soon. Plenty of huge, green lawns in all those areas. What are people thinking? It's the lake, not a Golf course
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-14-2024), Susie Cougar (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 07:48 PM   #15
gillygirl

Quote:
Bull. Nothing but a money grab. There is nothing that can be done to avoid it from happening. It’s natural

Many cases are anthropogenic. Sorry if it doesn’t fit your narrative that man isn’t having deleterious effects on the planet, but we are.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Lakegeezer (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:07 PM   #16
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Many cases are anthropogenic. Sorry if it doesn’t fit your narrative that man isn’t having deleterious effects on the planet, but we are.

But you are allowed to blame man for all of earths problems. Believe you are the only one here with a agenda

Old 06-13-2024, 08:44 PM   #17
4 for Boating

Default Lawns

So I understand and agree that run off causes issues and there are more than a few homes that for whatever reason were allowed to take waterfront trees down and put in lawns but regarding fertilizer in particular - to say that the homeowners are solely responsible for this aspect (if it is in fact happening and causing these issues) would be overlooking local landscaping firms/businesses that actually do the work and would or should know better.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 09:13 PM   #18
John Mercier

I believe there is a law and some cert/licensing requirements within a certain zone, but the run-off can come from a lot farther away than just the property right on the lake. But it is more likely a combination of several things and that it doesn't ''flush out'' of the lake that easy.

What they are noting is the phosphorous levels are higher than the natural background.

I believe the alum treatment is to lock that phosphorous into the lake bottom. I think it combines and settles out.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:36 AM   #19
SAB1

Correct. There are many causes to the problem. Fertilizers are just one issue.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 04:19 AM   #20
tis

Geez people. I am tired of blaming it all on fertilizer. We have a flat lot and grass and we haven't fertilized it for years. It is very green. I agree with Winnisquam, and I read that a lot of it is natural. It gets out of control sometimes and was never previously like it is now.
Old 06-14-2024, 06:15 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Quote:
Agree. Its pollen. We got the same warning over here on Winnisquam]
.... "The bloom material is mixed with dense pollen to varying ... http://www.des.nh.gov/news-and-media...-winnipesaukee ..... degrees. At times, the cyanobacteria material is distinct from the pollen, appearing as green clouds separate from the yellow pollen clouds. In other area the pollen and cyanobacteria are more mixed, appearing just as yellow clouds. See below for varying bloom presentation. Microscopic review indicated the pollen is masking the presence of cyanobacteria."
Old 06-14-2024, 06:49 AM   #22
TomC

Default defective septics

Effluent from poor/failing septic systems can be another cause...
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:14 AM   #23
Biggd

Thanked 1,082 Times in 686 Posts

We can argue about the causes of bad water, bad air and climate change forever. The only thing that is guaranteed is, doing nothing changes nothing!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-14-2024), Susie Cougar (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 07:26 AM   #24
gillygirl

Quote:
But you are allowed to blame man for all of earths problems. Believe you are the only one here with a agenda

I’m not the one speaking in absolutes.

Old 06-14-2024, 08:19 AM   #25
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default There goes the lakes

This has been an issue since the McMansion owners started developing the lake. They completely disregard the lake infrastructure as their landscape is the top priority. Look at the fertilizers they use before sunset or sunrise on their lawn!

As for Lake Winnisquam, it all started when they were treating sewage in Laconia next to the public ramp. The discharge created huge bacteria counts on the lake and down the Winnipesaukee River. They finally built the plant next to the Merrimac River in Franklin and diverted sewage there. The lake never recovered.

If only we could foresee this back in the 50s.
Old 06-14-2024, 08:20 AM   #26
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

6/14/2024 Update: NHDES issued a press release yesterday about the blooms on Winni. They have recommended that "Any surface scum, no matter the color, should be avoided to prevent toxin exposure. Do not recreate, let children play in, or let pets in any surface blooms. NHDES will resample the affected areas on June 19 and will continue weekly resampling if the bloom continues."

https://www.des.nh.gov/news-and-medi...-winnipesaukee

This is what the sample off of Tuftonboro Neck looked like under the microscope. Pollen scums are completely normal for this time of year, but we are seeing more cyanobacteria in these scums as well.
Attached Images

The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/

Last edited by Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc; 06-14-2024 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Add NHDES Link
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc For This Useful Post:
barndoor (06-15-2024), FlyingScot (06-14-2024), Lakegeezer (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:20 AM   #27
Onshore

I've been asked (not told) to refrain from posting on this forum until I retire or move on. I have honored that request but, in this instance, I'm making an exception. This problem is real. This is not just pollen. Fertilizer is not the sole cause. Contributing factors include fertilizers, increased run-off, reduced nutrient uptake in the watershed due to reduced vegetative cover, more geese, higher stream water temperatures due to less tree shading on contributing waters, more nutrients released into streams due to poor soil stabilization practices sites during and after construction, higher water temperatures, lack of winter ice cover, increased mobilization of lakebed sediments and mixing of nutrients in the water column due to boat traffic, increased nutrient contributions from flooding... I could go on. Yes, cyanobacteria are naturally occurring and native to our waters. No, they shouldn't bloom so aggressively. That they do, indicates that the system is currently out of balance giving them a growth advantage until they outstrip the available resources and starve themselves out.

This is our legacy. There is no simple, immediate remedy. People here can, and will, disagree about the causes and the viability of solutions. That said, it would seem that the people here generally do agree that they like their dogs, cats, and kids. Please do not disregard these warnings when they appear. The risk, particularly to pets that may drink from the bloom area, is real. Hopefully, these blooms will pass quickly.
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Onshore For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-14-2024), barndoor (06-15-2024), Biggd (06-14-2024), BroadHopper (06-14-2024), camp guy (06-14-2024), FlyingScot (06-14-2024), KennyFromBoston (06-14-2024), Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc (06-14-2024), Lakegeezer (06-14-2024), mishman (06-14-2024), Roy_Hobbs (06-14-2024), Susie Cougar (06-14-2024), TheRoBoat (06-14-2024), webmaster (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:41 AM   #28
camp guy

Default Lake Winnipesaukee water quality

The post by Onshore is very important reading. People may discuss this situation using different words, but no matter how you slice it, if, by whatever means, the quality of the Lake is degraded to a point where it becomes a health issue, the economy of the Lakes Region, in the summer, will suffer immeasurably.

I read a quote a while back that hits this nail on the head, "Spend more time finding solutions and less time finding blame".

Grandfathered septic systems, poorly enforced regulations, and personal arrogance have all contributed to this problem - now it is the time the correct all this.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-14-2024), Biggd (06-14-2024), FlyingScot (06-14-2024), Susie Cougar (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 08:57 AM   #29
ApS

Arrow "Change" Is Inevitable But NOT Existential...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie T View Post
I would expect Saunders Bay, Smith Cove and the areas around Governors Island to have problems soon. Plenty of huge, green lawns in all those areas. What are people thinking? It's the lake, not a Golf course

^
With the exception of three years, I've been in the lake since 1952. No duck itch, no blue-green algae, no Canada Geese, but greater ice density back then.

This is one of Mother Nature's spikes in the sun's heating of the environment--merely somewhat augmented by human presence.

Mother Nature's most memorable heating spike inspired Vikings to plant grapes on the island of Greenland--formerly locked in snow, ice, and glaciers.

"Climate Change" is a natural phenomenon, which is why it no longer makes headlines as "Global Warming".

As to fertilizer, I've seen it spread by hand (broadcast) down to the water's edge near my place. The owners live in Washington, DC, so they're oblivious to their lawn maintenance crew's practices, and may even tip their lawn employees for the greener lawn than their neighbors'.

In 1952, we wouldn't have known the words "McMansion" and "rafting", but "nestled in the woods" would've been common knowledge.

We could return to the 1952 lakefronts of evergreens, pine needles, wildflowers, and moss--but don't hold your breath.

Old 06-14-2024, 09:30 AM   #30
ITD

I flew over the lake yesterday and was amazed at the amount of "scum" I could see from 3,500 feet in the broads, complete with boat trails through it. I'm hoping it's just pollen, but who knows.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:52 AM   #31
Susie Cougar

Quote:

What is her agenda that you don’t like?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 10:16 AM   #32
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The post by Onshore is very important reading. People may discuss this situation using different words, but no matter how you slice it, if, by whatever means, the quality of the Lake is degraded to a point where it becomes a health issue, the economy of the Lakes Region, in the summer, will suffer immeasurably.

I read a quote a while back that hits this nail on the head, "Spend more time finding solutions and less time finding blame".

Grandfathered septic systems, poorly enforced regulations, and personal arrogance have all contributed to this problem - now it is the time the correct all this.
Once phosphorous enters the system, it is actually pretty hard to remove it... which is why they are using the alum.
The alum binds with it and removes if from the cycle... at least for a time.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
mishman (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:02 AM   #33
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
So I understand and agree that run off causes issues and there are more than a few homes that for whatever reason were allowed to take waterfront trees down and put in lawns but regarding fertilizer in particular - to say that the homeowners are solely responsible for this aspect (if it is in fact happening and causing these issues) would be overlooking local landscaping firms/businesses that actually do the work and would or should know better.
Good point--they posted on that yesterday, for homeowners and landscapers
https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=29548
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Susie Cougar (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 11:53 AM   #34
rodgcsa

Default Amazing work

I don't post often but I do read the discussions here all of the time. I have learned allot from this group about the lake. So I was on the fence about this subject until last year, Bree posted she needed a volunteer with a boat to bring her team to places on the lake to sample. I was happy to offer my help as I love to learn and observe. I had a friend of mine come along with us as well, that friend who is literally the most intelligent person I have ever met was blown away by the testing and evidence based information he saw. He helped the team sample and since then has read hours upon hours on this subject, he is convinced we are the primary cause of this problem and at the same time we can be the cure. He was a non believer before this! So I just want to say to Bree and her team THANK YOU for the great work you do. Anyone with doubts should contact her and I can guarantee you will have been thankful for what you learn. Its called we all can take small steps to help so please do what you can and most of all educate yourself about this very important matter.
rodgcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rodgcsa For This Useful Post:
barndoor (06-15-2024), Biggd (06-14-2024), FlyingScot (06-14-2024), GregW11 (06-14-2024), KennyFromBoston (06-14-2024), Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc (06-14-2024), mishman (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:08 PM   #35
Biggd

Thanked 1,082 Times in 686 Posts

With the high temps expected this week I don't expect it to get any better anytime soon.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 12:32 PM   #36
mishman

Default Join the effort to protect the lake

At the risk of sounding redundant (my wife accuses me of this occasionally if you are concerned about the water quality of the lake, I urge you to join the Lake Winnipesaukee Association (winnipesaukee.org). LWA is leading the effort to protect our lake using proven science to both understand the problem and implement solutions. The clear, clean water of our lake is the basis for everything - our recreation, property values and economy of the entire region. If we don't actively work to protect the lake's water quality, we will surely experience its further decline. Please consider supporting LWA today and protect our lake now and for the future. Use this link: https://winnipesaukee.app.neoncrm.co...s/membership-1
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 01:12 PM   #37
Descant

Thanked 1,541 Times in 999 Posts

Agreed that LWA is important. Don't neglect NHLAKES.org which is statewide. Boats and trailers moving from lake to lake may create issues and when there is pending legislation, getting statewide support for all lakes is important. NHKAKES, among other things, runs the Lake Host program and works closely with NHDES.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (Yesterday)
Old 06-14-2024, 03:33 PM   #38
retired

Stop peeing in the lake. If you have to drain it, strain it.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retired For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (06-16-2024), Susie Cougar (06-14-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 05:40 PM   #39
gravy boat

Lol. But the pee doesn’t seem to be the issue. If it is we are all guilty!

We all know it’s shoreline development. I bet many assume their one spot and the fertilized lawns and vegetation won’t matter.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:57 PM   #40
ApS

Lightbulb On the Internet Also Apparently ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravy boat View Post
Lol. But the pee doesn’t seem to be the issue. If it is we are all guilty! We all know it’s shoreline development. I bet many assume their one spot and the fertilized lawns and vegetation won’t matter.
A gardener tells me that urine that is diluted one part to ten parts of water makes a cheap and effective fertilizer.
Old 06-14-2024, 09:02 PM   #41
John Mercier

Nitrogen... but we add phosphorous to increase blooms.
Old 06-15-2024, 10:01 AM   #42
retired

Most pee that goes into the lake in summer is 50% alcohol anyway.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (06-16-2024)
Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM   #43
fatlazyless

Monday, June 17: The Meredith Town Docks area now has a cyanobacteria warning .... http://www.des.nh.gov/water/healthy-...wimming-mapper as of today, June 17.

Meredith Bay in that area has two water inflows, Hawkins Brook flows through a large culvert under Rt 25 and into Meredith Bay while the Lake Waukewan channel flows through the Mills Falls mill race into Meredith Bay. Both inlets are north of the town docks. The water depth is about 3' to 6' deep with a sandy bottom.

It could be the presence of Canada goose on Hawkins Brook that is the primary cause of cyanobacteria because that water as seen from the Sam Laverack .... http://www.trailfinder.info/trails/t...-hawkins-brook .... board walk, nature trail has been looking very thick with some contamination on the water surface and there's a number of gooses families consisting of a mother goose, a daddy goose, and 2-3-4-5 yellow feathered new born goose.

Both the Town of Meredith's Clough Park and Hesky Park which border Meredith Bay attract Canada goose with their luxurious beautiful clipped green grass lawns which is a #1 favorite menu item for the goose. The Canada goose just love that easy-to-eat clipped green healthy grass .... is so um-umm-goooood! ..... a big Canada goose yummy favorite.