Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #1
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
By those standards, EVERYBODY should be tested all the time. People of ALL ages do crazy things. But wouldn't that be a big mess.
Well yes, that would be a big mess but that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm simply saying that if responsible people observe declining driving skills that are likely to endanger others on the road, then they should take action to change that situation. Ignoring the issue - giving them a break - solves nothing and invites disaster. In FLL's case, the driver hit him and left the scene. What more evidence is need that he/she shouldn't have been on the road?

Maybe it's a medication or medical issue that can be resolved, maybe additional drivers education is needed, maybe a new eyeglasses prescription. Or, maybe the individual has simply reached a point where they can no longer drive safely and should be removed from the road.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
tis (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Well yes, that would be a big mess but that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm simply saying that if responsible people observe declining driving skills that are likely to endanger others on the road, then they should take action to change that situation. Ignoring the issue - giving them a break - solves nothing and invites disaster. In FLL's case, the driver hit him and left the scene. What more evidence is need that he/she shouldn't have been on the road?

Maybe it's a medication or medical issue that can be resolved, maybe additional drivers education is needed, maybe a new eyeglasses prescription. Or, maybe the individual has simply reached a point where they can no longer drive safely and should be removed from the road.
I agree 100%! This driver made a huge mistake and it cannot be overlooked.

There was just an article in the Sarasota Newspaper a couple of days ago about the oldest driver in the United States. He’s right here in Sarasota and he’s 107 years old! I loved looking at his picture as he was driving in his convertible with the top down waving to everybody as he drove by.

There is no special age where someone has to automatically stop driving. But when it’s obvious to those around you, they should not get a break.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
ApS

Arrow Florida Leads the Nation...FWIW

For those of us wintering in Florida:
Over 100,000 Hit-and-Run crashes per year...

https://www.winknews.com/2019/11/25/...ida-last-year/

About 40 years ago, when both Florida cars became disabled, everyone involved would just run away.

Nowadays, the presence of your license plate indicates you've paid the mandatory auto insurance.

Some morning, you might notice someone has taken your license plate.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Exclamation Age-66 NH State Medical Card for driving!

There's something called the Federal Motor Safety Act of 1986 or so, applies to all trucks and truck drivers, and is enforced in all 50 states by all state and local police. To drive a truck you must have a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical card which requires a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical exam. Your personal DOT-Med Card from your state with your name on it expires every two years, and for some truck drivers with health issues, it expires every year.

A similar NH driver's medical card, required for all drivers age-66 and older would make the NH roads safer, and probably make the age-66 NH drivers more healthy so they can pass the test because everyone in NH wants to keep on driving.

Here's what the DOT-Med Card for truck drivers tests, every two years; vision, color distinction, blood pressure less than 140/90, hearing, cardiovascular health, medications, urinalysis, physical endurance, medical history, & drug test. Plus, the test is administered by either a medical doctor or an osteopathic doctor who has been DOT-medical examination certified, and the doctor will have a running, casual conversation with you during the various tests to further evaluate you.

http://www.drivebigtrucks.com/blog/d...to-expect-tdi/

In all 50-states, truck drivers are required to wear their seat belt, and get hit with a big fine when caught without wearing their seat belt, correctly.

Does the State of New Hampshire want an age-66 NH Driver's Medical Card requirement for making the roads, more safe? ...... Maybe you want to e-mail your strong opinion on this driving safety issue to your state rep and state senator and state governor ..... today, or maybe tomorrow

New Hampshire is the one and only state, out of all 50-states and Washington DC, where a seat belt is not required for drivers age-18, and older. Only in New Hampshire ....... ! Truck drivers in New Hampshire must wear their seat belt, by federal law, plus you have to be age-21 to get a commercial truck driver's license.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-13-2020 at 07:32 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,394 Times in 967 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
There's something called the Federal Motor Safety Act of 1986 or so, applies to all trucks and truck drivers, and is enforced in all 50 states by all state and local police. To drive a truck you must have a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical card which requires a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical exam. Your personal DOT-Med Card from your state with your name on it expires every two years, and for some truck drivers with health issues, it expires every year.

A similar NH driver's medical card, required for all drivers age-66 and older would make the NH roads safer, and probably make the age-66 NH drivers more healthy so they can pass the test because everyone in NH wants to keep on driving.

Here's what the DOT-Med Card for truck drivers tests, every two years; vision, color distinction, blood pressure less than 140/90, hearing, cardiovascular health, medications, urinalysis, physical endurance, medical history, & drug test. Plus, the test is administered by either a medical doctor or an osteopathic doctor who has been DOT-medical examination certified, and the doctor will have a running, casual conversation with you during the various tests to further evaluate you.

http://www.drivebigtrucks.com/blog/d...to-expect-tdi/

In all 50-states, truck drivers are required to wear their seat belt, and get hit with a big fine when caught without wearing their seat belt, correctly.

Does the State of New Hampshire want an age-66 NH Driver's Medical Card requirement for making the roads, more safe? ...... Maybe you want to e-mail your strong opinion on this driving safety issue to your state rep and state senator and state governor ..... today, or maybe tomorrow!
And do you think all drivers should be drug tested as well, FLL?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
fatlazyless

All these truck driver rules are federal laws, enacted by the Federal Motor Safety Act of 1986(or so) and the 2-year dot med card includes a drug test. In addition, many NH truck businesses will have surprise drug tests, including the state. For example the big orange snow plow NH-DOT drivers are state employees and they get sudden, surprise drug tests ....... surprise, pee into this cup, buddy.

New Hampshire is the one and only state without a seat belt requirement, plus there's no NH motorcycle helmet requirement for age-18 and older, so what's the chances for an age-66 med card, or drug testing? The chances are no chance here in NH..... zero.

By the way ...... even Alaska has a seat belt law requirement for all adults ..... but not New Hampshire. New Hampshire does not receive something like three million dollars/year in federal money by not having a seat belt requirement for adults.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,166 Times in 908 Posts

Quote:
. In addition, many NH truck businesses will have surprise drug tests, including the state. For example the big orange snow plow NH-DOT drivers are state employees and they get sudden, surprise drug tests ....... surprise, pee into this cup, buddy.
All businesses employing CDL licensed drivers are required to have random drug and alcohol tests. The last testing rate I was aware of requires that 25% of the employees must be tested each year. The required testing rate changes and is published in the Federal Register.

Quote:
There's something called the Federal Motor Truck drivers in New Hampshire must wear their seat belt, by federal law, plus you have to be age-21 to get a commercial truck driver's license.
You can have a Commercial Drivers License in NH if you are under 21. You can only drive intrastate until you turn 21.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,394 Times in 967 Posts

In case anyone is interested:

The random drug testing rates for drivers covered under DOT/FMCSA will be increasing from 25% of the pool tested annually for drugs to 50% of the pool tested annually as of January 1, 2020. The random breath alcohol testing remains at 10% of the pool annually.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
fatlazyless

At first I was think'n it be best for insurance to pay to repair the damages. Just look'n at it ...... a number like three thousand dollars to repair crosses my mind?

Today is Saturday morning, the hit & run smash-in happened on Wednesday morning ...... and now I'm think'n it could be better to get totaled out by Allstate ..... if I get a payment of say .... $2500 .... and can use it to go buy an identical car to what got hit.

My car is a 2013 Scion xB, with 193,000 miles, a 5-speed stick .... purchased brand new in May, 2014 from Irwin Toyota in Laconia for $15,200-cash.

Last August I was looking to trade it in for a 2016 Kia Soul, 45,000-mile, 5-speed stick, price $7000-cash .... at Irwin Hyundai in Laconia ..... except Irwin would only give me a three hundred dollar trade-in value, plus charge an additional $725 dealer prep fee, on top.

Finding the right 5-speed stick car is not so easy, any more.

If Allstate pays to repair, the xB will go to www.irwinautobody.com for repairing the two doors smash ..... I would probably be better off taking the smash to Irwin for repairs than looking for a used $6500 Scion xB-stick shift in Craigslist or someplace using the totaled payment.

That xB was/is one great little econo-box .... is being driven today with pretty good confidence ..... would not drive it to Boston, but is good to go for local-NH ....this car is not so little .... has a large windshield ..... you sit upright similar to a pickup .... lots of inside space .... right now, costs $22 to fill gas tank, and the dash says it averages 34.7 miles/gallon over it's 193,200 miles drive. Replacing the four 'riginal spark plugs will probably improve the gas mileage.

The Scion xB is a little bit bigger, and probably a whole lot better car than the Kia Soul.

By the way, Allstate in Meredith on Wednesday was immediately very helpful ..... took a number of photos, starting my claim .... in & out of there in like 15-minutes, for starters.

You know it seems to me that you are not really driving a car, what you are driving is an insurance policy.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-15-2020 at 11:45 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Thursday, Jan 20: Just got an email from Allstate and they give me an estimate of $2180.65 to pay for the side t-bone collision repairs, minus the $250-deductible and I will take it to Irwin Collision in Laconia. Have used Irwin Collision in the past, plus am thinking that Irwin is a Toyota dealer so's could have better access to Scion replacement repair parts. Scion's last year was 2016, and who knows how long my Scion xB will keep on going?

1,092,675 is the number of Scions made from 2003-2015 ..... wikipedia.

Here's an off-the-wall comment ...... last August, Irwin Hyundai would only give me a three hundred dollar trade-in value on my xB toward purchasing a $7000 used 2016 Kia Soul with 50k miles.

And now my insurance, Allstate will pay close to $2000 to get it repaired ..... plus give me a rental car during repairs ..... oh well ..... go figure? ......

Just curious ....... so what would the cost to repair need to be here to get totaled out?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #11
ApS

Question Worth a Try?

State Farm Insurance would normally write me a check at their estimate. Hmm...

Then I'd take the Scion back to trade (unrepaired) on the Kia Soul and take their $300 trade-in offer.

Irwin Hyundai may not accept the trade, but parts for the Scion aren't assured after the Federally-required seven years.

Would Allstate write you a check? It'd be worth a try.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #12
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post

The law is pretty black and white here. And this driver violated it in a manner that happens to kill someone every 43 seconds. Young, old, citizen, non citizen- doesn't matter.

Lets cut them a break though. The guy on his third DUI, cut him a break too..
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote