Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > General Issues
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts
Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winniboater81 View Post
Has anyone been to Sturgis? They let you walk around with beers outside, go from bar to bar, shop to shop. The few cops they have there are on horseback, and are very friendly. They don't just stand there starring at the bikers, with their arms crossed, trying to intimidate. They smile, talk to the people, and if someone is getting too rowdy, they ask them to chill out a bit.
It is like that at Myrtle Beach as well. They are nice and treat riders with respect (as long as they deserve it).
Old 06-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #2
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
It is like that at Myrtle Beach as well. They are nice and treat riders with respect (as long as they deserve it).
Well Myrtle Beach has had there troubles in the city limits I should say, they passed 2 laws a helmet law, and loud pipes, just in the city limits of Myrtle Beach so they were ticketing everyone who came through. No big deal everyone just drove around the city limits, but in was a pain in the a** so there numbers went way down.To make a long story short, they were force to give everyone they ticketed there money back because of state laws.The mayor doesn't like rallies at all. But the rally is still trying to recover. I haven't been back yet after going 3 years in a row, it was a great rally, I hope it gets back to where it was before! Sturgis this year can't wait!!

You can read more about Myrtle Beach here if you would like.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/7177...lmet-Law-.aspx
Old 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,609 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Well Myrtle Beach has had there troubles in the city limits I should say, they passed 2 laws a helmet law, and loud pipes, just in the city limits of Myrtle Beach so they were ticketing everyone who came through. No big deal everyone just drove around the city limits, but in was a pain in the a** so there numbers went way down.To make a long story short, they were force to give everyone they ticketed there money back because of state laws.The mayor doesn't like rallies at all. But the rally is still trying to recover. I haven't been back yet after going 3 years in a row, it was a great rally, I hope it gets back to where it was before! Sturgis this year can't wait!!

You can read more about Myrtle Beach here if you would like.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/4/7177...lmet-Law-.aspx
WG, I should have clarified and said MB area. I actually stay down in Murrell's Inlet and business is booming. Between there and Surfside, I see no reason to go to Myrtle Beach proper.

They are actually trying to re-brand it the Grand Strand Rally. Either way, I suggest you check it out again. plenty of people and vendors.
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (06-24-2011)
Old 06-24-2011, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
WG, I should have clarified and said MB area. I actually stay down in Murrell's Inlet and business is booming. Between there and Surfside, I see no reason to go to Myrtle Beach proper.

They are actually trying to re-brand it the Grand Strand Rally. Either way, I suggest you check it out again. plenty of people and vendors.
We did usually go down that end for one day to the four corners... I was talking to the guy who is bringing my trike out to Sturgis and he said its getting better but still not there yet. The people are very friendly there and the prices are right.I stayed up in Little River the opposite of you. Maybe we will try in again this coming May.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
Ryan

Default Over the top police presence

Here's a great example of where overbearing police presence will slowly turn people away.

My buddy and I were sitting on the fence/barrier directly across from the Smokehouse around 11am on Friday morning. We were just watching the bikers, shooting the breeze with some of the other bikers around me. It was early in the day, traffic was light, and there might have been 5-6 other people sitting there with us.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this area, the fence lines the sidewalk - which is probably 6-10 feet wide (estimating a typical sidewalk).

After we casually sat for about 20 minutes, Mr. Laconia PD comes by and tells us all that we need to move along. When asked why, he explains to us that we are "taking up too much of the sidewalk" and "people cannot pass when we are blocking the sidewalk".

Now, we were sitting ON the fence. Our feet were not even touching the sidewalk.

This is the type of police presence that will keep people away for years to come.