Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2023, 08:08 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Default The Contractor Lock Set Story

I was a contractor/builder helper - many years ago. Many years ago.
Addition to a home.

The contractor/builder had a builders/commercial account at a local lumber yard.
The new entry door was secured to addition. But needed a new keyed lock set.
All was going to be a charge to builders commercial account.

So the builder sent me down to local lumber yard. Get a Schlage brass set. Builder was adament. Do not go to retail section and grab a retail clear plastic wrapped as cost is higher at retail. Get the box verson that is located in one of the lumber yard sheds. Charge to buildrs commercial account.
I did go check the retail price. At that time price for retail clear plastic wrapped version was $19.95. This lumber yard did have a retail section.

So I go to contractor counter and ask for the boxed keyed brass Schlage lockset. Get it. Lockset gets installed in new addition entry door.

Month later I ask builder what he was charged for the boxed entry Schlage keyed lockset. I was curious as to how much of a discount a contractor gets.

He showed me the invoice/bill. As a contractor, he was charged $22.95.
This was the exact same lockset that was in the clear plastic retail section that was priced at $19.95.

Now maybe Schlage makes two different locksets that look exactly the same.
Look exactly the same. Yes, they looked exactly the same.

Of course, there could have been a manufacturer price increase. And no one got around to raising the retail price. Or maybe the retail Schlage lockset was purchased earlier from manufacturer/distributor at a lower price.

Why didn't the builder/contractor order the lockset when door was ordered. Could have just been an oversight. As lots of wood, windows, flashiing, shingles etc. was ordered earlier.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote