Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Stand-on and give-way in crossing

Yesterday, I was traveling east-south-east between Governor's Island and Stonedam Island at about 26 MPH in my motor boat. I was on a collision course with a motor boat traveling south west toward the channel between Governor's Island and Eagle Island (coming from the Bear Island direction) at a similar speed. The other boat was off my port bow, so mine was the stand-on vessel. I maintained course and speed as required. The other vessel did the same despite the fact that there was plenty of time and space to change his course a few degrees to west and end the collision course early and easily. Many seconds passed with no change is speed or course by the other boat and just as I was getting ready to take evasive action, the other vessel slowed down and dropped off-plane with about 200 feet separation. I was thinking "that's not how I would have handled it, but OK, he did what he had to do be legal and safe". The other operator then flung his hands up in disgust that was obviously aimed toward me as though I'd done something wrong.

With the requirement that all boat operators have a boating certificate in place for the past few years in NH, it's amazing to see that there are some people that don't seem to understand the very basics. It ain't rocket surgery.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote