Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Exclamation Time Warner to Replace NECN with Al Jazeera

According to the Portland Press Herald, Time Warner will replace New England Cable News with Al Jazeera at the end of December. http://www.pressherald.com/news/Al-J...-in-Maine.html They claim that there is no connection between the decision to drop NECN and add Al Jazeera.

Because of the TV market territory laws, which were passed years ago to protect the financial interests of the TV stations, we get very little Boston news here in Moultonborough, even though we are more closely connected to Boston than to Portland. Losing NECN will cut us off almost completely.

If you live in a town that has Time Warner, it is up to you if you want to stop this from happening. Contact your town offices and ask to speak with the person who works with Time Warner in your town, and send them email expressing your unhappiness with this change. Ask them to keep you informed about their efforts to change Time Warner's decision, so that you can be sure they are actually doing something. The more email they get about this the more likely they are to make a sincere effort to change Time Warner's mind.

I'm in Moultonborough, and have already spoken to Carter Terenzini, who is the Town Administrator. He was unaware of Time Warner's decision when I called him this morning. I have forwarded him the above link. He also said that the town had virtually no influence with Time Warner, and seemed to me to be saying that it was a hopeless task. He did promise to contact Time Warner.

If you live in Moultonborough, you can contact Carter Terenzini by telephone at 603-476-2347. His Email address is cterenzini@moultonboroughnh.gov

There is also a poll being taken by the Press Herald as part of their online article at http://www.pressherald.com/news/Time...-Jazeera_.html You can vote for NECN or Al Jazeera. So far, its 83% to 17% in favor of NECN

My wife just posted our opposition to this change on Time Warner's Facebook page. You can too, although you have to "like" the page before you can see the comments. Here's their Facebook address if you'd like to post your own comment... https://www.facebook.com/twc

If you are in Ossipee or Conway. or any other town that uses Time Warner, call your town officials and let them know how you feel. I know December is a busy month, but if you don't speak up, NECN will be gone.

Unless, of course, you feel that Al Jazeera will give us better local news coverage than New England Cable News?