Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
sunset on the dock

Default Why would someone want a NWZ?

The other NWZ thread prompted a dinner discussion with friends and family. Reasons for wanting a NWZ might include safety, wake damage, shore erosion, wildlife concerns etc. but the one BIG reason that kept coming up in our discussion was noise. Now undoubtedly some will get flamed by such a discussion but try to bear with this for a bit. This topic is being brought up not to discuss whether or not how people react is right or wrong but rather why they react in a certain way.
So, you have a situation where people who might have lived in such and such an area for a long time. These people agree that boat traffic over the past decade or two has increased but what is bothersome to them even more is the noise. Most all on this forum would agree that decibel limits have been quite hard and very cumbersome to enforce and some in the above mentioned area might argue that said limits are not strict enough. People in this area may have concerns about the erosion, wildlife etc. but what really brings the matter to their attention is having to stop a conversation when a boat roars by. I have argued in the past that perhaps the #1 force behind another controversial law was noise, far more than safety. One person present at this discussion mentioned publicity ads for NH tourism that have been playing lately showing someone jumping off a dock or hearing a loon etc. These ads and the ones in print tend not to show some GFBL screaming down the lake.
So here you might have renters sayng to the cottage owner "I'm renting this cottage using my hard earned $ because I want relaxation and if I liked this noise I'd go camping on the median strip of 495". People want the problem dealt with and use whatever means are available to solve it. So again, this discussion isn't necessarily to argue whether this is right or wrong but to discuss why people do what they do. In this case, if you tick off, disturb, annoy, and irritate enough people they will try to fix said problem by whatever means are available. And I would bet my last dollar that noise is what's mainly behind some of the pushes for NWZ's and that other unmentionable law.
I was asked a while back on this forum if I would be as annoyed by a loud old "woodie" that cruises past and evokes that so called Golden Pond nostalgia and I needed to think about it a while and do some personal observations. Several of these have passed by since then and in reality none seem to quite come all that close to some of the GFBL's that come by at 45 MPH or faster (and we all know from some discussions on this forum and others that indeed they are going faster than 45 MPH by their own admission). And by the way we thought we heard that DHuberty (?Baja) last night which seems to be in a class by itself. No wooden boat I've heard has ever come close to that noise.

So the point...people live in a democracy and as above if a majority get irritated enough to want change, then they act. Right or wrong, this is the way it is and has been in this country throughout its history. We see boats speed by where we live all the time that are barely audible and it's not like we run out on the dock with clenched fists saying to one another that this is not safe. Other boats tend to call attention to themselves and this may be a very significant part of why some would push for a NWZ.

Undoubtedly some will take offense to this post and come back with some of the usual less than erudite and immature remarks(like "pleeeeeaaaaaase", "do you have something for nausea" , and "get a life") yet I bet most of the people on this forum will see that this is an explanation for why people feel they do and respond with intelligent remarks. I think that it is that minority of very loud boats that is behind recent and future laws. What do you think?
sunset on the dock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
christo1 (07-26-2010), secondcurve (07-26-2010)