Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Flyfisha

Default MV MT Kearsarge sinks

Last evening the MV Kearsarge dinner boat sank in Sunapee harbor.
Attached Images

Flyfisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #2
RLW

Smile

I heard that on the TV, but I have not heard of a cause as yet. Has anyone else heard how it happened???
Old 01-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
Just Sold

From WMUR/WCVB

SUNAPEE, N.H. —A dinner cruise boat is sinking into a New Hampshire lake.

Sunapee police said the MV Kearsarge Restaurant Ship started to take on water on Lake Sunapee Thursday night.

Authorities said the ship started to go under at about 7:45 p.m. They said they were alerted to the situation after someone heard the ropes snapping.

Marine Patrol, the Department of Environmental Services and Clean Harbors have all been contacted. Clean Harbors set up a boom around the ship Thursday night. Marine Patrol is heading back to the scene Friday to assess the situation.

At this time, authorities are trying to figure out how to raise the boat out of the water. Sunapee's

Old 01-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

watch video here.... http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/MV-...z/-/index.html
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Sal (01-11-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Flyfisha

Default Afloat again!

Thanks to the gallant effort of many agencies and contractors the Kearsarge sits afloat once again in Sunapee Harbor!! What a sight throughout the day watching her raised.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flyfisha For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (01-13-2013), KPW (01-13-2013), Resident 2B (01-12-2013), trfour (01-13-2013), Waterbaby (01-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Flyfisha

Default Update

Just left harbor. Mechanic working on starting engines and family cleaning!!!

What a wonderful sight to see her afloat on her own again!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

Any word on the cause?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

There didn't appear to be any bubbler's around it and I think it had a wooden hull.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Flyfisha

It did have circulation and it was a steel hull. No official word as of yet as to the cause.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
There didn't appear to be any bubbler's around it and I think it had a wooden hull.
I thought the same thing, every picture I looked at looked like the ice was right up to it. I did see one picture think it was from the stern and it looked like open water. Was talking to someone else and they said same thing.

Just heard on channel 9 new it was a eraser the size a pencil that was where all the water came from.

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 01-15-2013 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Spelling
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #11
Flyfisha

Default Cause found

It was a hole the size of a pencil eraser in a sea valve leading to one of the engines.

[URL="http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Owners-Pencil-eraser-sized-hole-led-to-sinking-of-MV-Kearsarge/-/9857858/18134378/-/3nxo2lz/-/index.h"]

Last edited by Flyfisha; 01-15-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Flyfisha

Default Update

The latest info says she sustained rudder damage and will have to come out of the lake for repairs.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisha View Post
It was a hole the size of a pencil eraser in a sea valve leading to one of the engines.

[URL="http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Owners-Pencil-eraser-sized-hole-led-to-sinking-of-MV-Kearsarge/-/9857858/18134378/-/3nxo2lz/-/index.h"]
I'm continually amazed at the stories that people Make Up. An "Eraser Sized Hole" in a "sea valve"...??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OK: An eraser sized hole will be about a quarter inch in diameter at "natural pressure." An On Board Bilge Pump (One inch in daimeter) will be MORE than capable of keeping up with the natural stream from a quarter inch hole. ..Don't you think...?? NB

There must be a Full Moon tonight......
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm continually amazed at the stories that people Make Up. An "Eraser Sized Hole" in a "sea valve"...??? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OK: An eraser sized hole will be about a quarter inch in diameter at "natural pressure." An On Board Bilge Pump (One inch in daimeter) will be MORE than capable of keeping up with the natural stream from a quarter inch hole. ..Don't you think...?? NB
Until the batteries run out... Or the pump burned up... Or the pump impeller broke or jammed on a piece of debris.

Was it plugged in to shore power? Was the bilge pump working? Was the output unrestricted?

Have you never seen or heard of a boat sinking from a leak that could have been handled by its bilge pump, but Murphy got involved and things didn't work as expected?
KPW (01-18-2013), Waterbaby (01-18-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Seems to come from onsite sources through WMUR

Quote:

Here is the report per WMUR:

http://www.wmur.com/news/nh-news/Own...z/-/index.html

I learned a long time ago that just about anything is possible. AsBrkInt said, once the battery goes out...

Oh, and it is almost a new moon .
Old 01-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
rrr

Quote:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - love it! will have to remember that one

thanks
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

Can I ask YOU why they would lie about it? What do they really gain by lying? Do you not think people tell the truth very often or is it just this story?
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
Can I ask YOU why they would lie about it? What do they really gain by lying? Do you not think people tell the truth very often or is it just this story?
The problem is the Media aren't knowledable enough to ask the right questions, so they print whatever they are told.

Just as aside, any boat owner who leaves the boat in the water in the winter without Shore Power being hooked up is being just a little bit reckless. A 66 foot boat will have more than one bilge pump. Just sayin'. NB
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #19
Smith Point

Definition of a boat; A boat is a hole in the water in witch one throws money. Murphy’s law applies every time I take my boat out, “anything that can go wrong will go wrong”. Over the sumer I was crusing down the lake and felt a strange vibration, thinking that I picked up something in the prop, throtaled back and investagated the situation, everythin looks good, so started back at headway speed, ill check it out when we get back to camp. Next thing you know “zinnng” no power to the prop! Talk about dead in the water, called Andrews Marine for a tow in.
(thanks Andrew) come to find out I broke the drive shaft! WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT! So the moral of the story is, thank god the MV MT Kearsarge diddent have that problem during a dinner cruise.
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
ITD

I figure about 44 gallons per hour from a 1/4 inch hole at 12 inches below the water line. So that would be a little over 1,000 gallons per day, which would take a couple days to be a problem for a large boat like this one or probably less than a day for a little boat when bilge pumps fail.

( I extrapolated numbers from a bilge company site, wondering if other engineering types come up with similar....)
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #21
NoBozo

A few years ago I did some calculations to see how long it would take for my 2700 pound runabout to sink IF I forgot to put the transom drain plug in place before I launched the boat. I seem to remember the answer was about 12 minutes. The drain hole was one inch.

So you might ask,..what would cause me to go to that effort..? When I first got the boat I DID Forget the drain plug on ONE occassion. Fortunately I was still near the launch ramp when I saw the bilge pump go on and was able to get the boat back on the trailer in time. NB
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #22
ITD

Quote:
A few years ago I did some calculations to see how long it would take for my 2700 pound runabout to sink IF I forgot to put the transom drain plug in place before I launched the boat. I seem to remember the answer was about 12 minutes. The drain hole was one inch.

So you might ask,..what would cause me to go to that effort..? When I first got the boat I DID Forget the drain plug on ONE occassion. Fortunately I was still near the launch ramp when I saw the bilge pump go on and was able to get the boat back on the trailer in time. NB

A one inch hole 12 inches below the surface will leak 2,700 liters per hour or about 710 gallons per hour. Or about 6,000 pounds an hour.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #23
Waterbaby

Quote:

I do believe I remember you posting that when it happened, lol -- and you never ever forgot to check for it again!