Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #1
sky_nh

Default Best Lakes Region New Year's Party?

I am fairly new to the area and have a friend who is visiting for New Year's Eve. Any tips on a great restaurant/resort that throws a fun party for adults (we're both in our early 50s)? Looking for dinner, dancing (no rap, please!), and a midnight toast. I've seen some newspaper ads for Pheasant Ridge. Anyone been there for New Year's Eve?
sky_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 PM   #2
Pepper

sky_nh - This could turn out to be a tall order!

I'm thinking you might want to check out some of the higher-end resort type hotels in the area to see if any of them have dancing and toasting type venues available in addition to their dining facilities.

Off the top of our heads, hubby and I can't seem to come up with any restaurants that have dining and dancing both. Unfortunately this time of year so many places are closed for the season which limits your options considerably! Plus, the nightclubs in the area all cater to the younger crowd and probably aren't what your're seeking.

Another thought would be to check out "Top of the Town" just off Rte 3 (the road across from the Belknap Mall) but I'm fearful that the crowd may be somewhat older - not sure though! The owner plays keyboards and there is a small dancefloor. They also have a full bar license and perhaps a toast setup for NYE?

I'll keep thinking on this, as I'm sure other members will, and see if I can't come up with a few more ideas until we can narrow down something nice for you!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
ghfromaltonbay

Default New Year's Eve Events

Fratello's in Laconia is advertising a party with DJ and entertainment. Has anyone been there before on 12/31?

Also, you might want to check out the Mill Falls in Meredith. They are advertising a New Year's Eve party. Don't know if it's open to the public (with reservations) or if it is only for guests staying there.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
sky_nh

Default Fratello's? Pheasant Ridge for NYE?

I did look into the Mills Falls deal. It's a package that includes a room plus the NYE party. It sounds nice but since I live up here, that would not be my first choice. Every visit to Fratellos for dinner has been pretty good, so I will look into it -- however, I haven't seen their ads. If anyone has gone there or to Pheasant Ridge for NYE, your opinion would be welcome.

Sky
Old 12-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Lightbulb More Ideas

The Wolfeboro Inn is advertising a New Year's Eve party with toast. Plus First Night is going on in Wolfeboro all afternoon and evening with fireworks at 5:00 and midnight.
The Wolfeboro Inn
http://www.wolfeboroinn.com/
Wolfeboro First Night
http://wolfeboroonline.com/firstnight/

In the Weirs Times.....
The Ellacoya Barn and Grille in Gilford is advertising dinner, live music and a champagne toast. $35 per person. Reservations needed. Call 293-8700

Canoe in Center Harbor advertises "Spend New Year's Eve with us" but doesn't provide a whole lot of details.
http://www.eatatcanoe.com/welcome.html

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
ghfromaltonbay

Default Fratellos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_nh
I did look into the Mills Falls deal. It's a package that includes a room plus the NYE party. It sounds nice but since I live up here, that would not be my first choice. Every visit to Fratellos for dinner has been pretty good, so I will look into it -- however, I haven't seen their ads. If anyone has gone there or to Pheasant Ridge for NYE, your opinion would be welcome.

Sky
I haven't seen any ads either, but their website gives details.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
Waterbaby

Default New Year's Ideas

Hello Sky, and welcome! Had you thought about calling Mill Falls and asking what, specifically, is going on at each of their facilities? I would imagine their events would be open to the public, in addition to being available to their own guests. Also, Steele Hill may be an option -- they used to have a very nice New Year's Eve celebration. The only other idea I have is for you to sit down with the phone book, call around and ask about NYE deals - quickly! - and come back here with a list of specifics to get opinions. You could also check, after calling around, on the Restaurant thread here on the forum and see what people's thoughts/opinions/experiences have been with different places. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,638 Times in 567 Posts

I don't hear them mentioned much.but we've always been happy at Christmas Island.They also have a seperate lounge area for dancing.They are advertising $100 per couple for both dining and dancing which seems pretty reasonable since they are offerings Veal Oscar,prime rib,lobster etc.
Happy New Year everyone
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 12:41 PM   #9
Woodsy

I always get a great meal at Christmas Island. Tony & Co. do a great job there year round. i will be definitely popping in there for a visit on New Years Eve.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:42 PM   #10
sky_nh

Default Pheasant Ridge is off my list!

I appreciate the suggestions and feedback I've been getting here. Thank you all very, very much!

This morning I thought I would call Contigiani's Catering Service, which is doing the Pheasant Ridge Country Club NYE party. All I was looking for was some basic information about the type of music, how formal it was, etc. The woman who spoke to me was one of the rudest people I have run into. I can't tell you how shocked I was! She actually was hostile and sounded like she was doing me a favor by putting on their party. She will not see us at her party!

I also looked into Fratello's. Their NYE party is at their Manchester restaurant, not Laconia. The woman I spoke to was very nice and I have always had a pleasant visit to both places.

Following Woody's suggestion, I went to the Christmas Island web site. There was nothing about NYE and it looks like it has not been updated since 2003. I must be reading the wrong newspapers, too. In any case, I appreciate the input.

I probably should mention that I am in Gilford and am trying to stick relatively close to home in case the weather gets bad or my designated driver gets undesignated. Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve is looking more and more promising!

-- Sky
Old 12-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #11
gravy boat

Default New Year's Eve

Sky -- Check out Gunstock. Link:

http://www.gunstock.com/frames_index.cfm

Hubby and I won't have the three little ones (12, 8 and 6) and will head up for some skiing. We won't be participating in the food and spirits portion, but want to do some night skiing and check out the fireworks.

Based on the link, looks like a pretty good deal for everything.

Enjoy!
Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:18 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Patrick's Pub in Gilford.

Gets my vote every year. They may be sold out though. Call them ASAP.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:49 AM   #13
sky_nh

Default Looks like Gunstock for NYE

After all this "research" reading newspaper ads, calling places, and getting some great ideas from those of you who responded to my questions, we decided to head up to Gunstock. I like the fact that it is close, informal, and has a good variety of things to do (eat, dance, ski, etc.)

My thanks to everyone who responded.

Happy New Year !!!

-- Sky