Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Steve Di.

Default Calling All Wolfeboro Experts!

I am looking to move from Massachusetts to Wolfeboro in two years; that is when my youngest will be graduating from High School.

In the mean time, we are looking to buy some land in Wolfeboro and start construction after we sell our house. The two-year wait gives us time to research the area, prepare our existing house for sale, and plan the design of our new house.

We would love to hear your suggestions/cautions or anything that would help.

Our preferences are:
  • We love the downtown area and would like to be close to it.
  • We will be commuting to work (Massachusetts) for the next 7 years.
  • Schools are not an issue
  • Prefer a neighborhood-don't want to live in the sticks
  • Don't like living on a busy street
  • Don't like associations/fees
  • Avoid waterfront $$
Based on the above, what are the best areas in which to search? Which areas should we avoid?

Last edited by Steve Di.; 07-27-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Details added.
Steve Di. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Aren't you starting a little early if your move is two years away? Many things change in two years and what might look good now could be different, plus your own situation may change.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Steve Di.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Aren't you starting a little early if your move is two years away? Many things change in two years and what might look good now could be different, plus your own situation may change.
Yes we are.

The market is dictating our timing. In my years of traveling to the Lake, I have never seen such a buyer's market. The values haven't seen much of a decline in the town I am now in, therefore I don't expect them to increase much in two years. However, I am betting in two years time, the towns around the Lake will see prices rise. Of course that all depends on the economy.

I can't buy a house right now, because I would have to sell the one I am presently in to finance the purchase. So we are hoping to buy some land, to secure our location up there and work on preparing our house for a sale and draw up plans for the new house.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
jkjoshuatree

Talking Don't Think I Qualify As An Expert, But...

I rented a place here for a month and I've been here a little over a week. Let me just say that I love this town.

My family has a place in Meredith and while I love it there, Wolfeboro is so much more pedestrian (and dog) friendly.

It has everything you need all within walking distance of downtown. I'm three miles outside of town and if I wanted to I could take cross-country trails from my cabin into town. I literally never have to be inside a car.

The people have been extremely welcoming and friendly (doesn't hurt that I have two adorable Golden Retrievers with me everywhere I go-they're quickly turning into local "rock stars"), from the people at the supermarket (both of them) to the people at Goodhue & Hawkins Marina to the young college kids that make my sundae at Bailey's Bubble every night (or at least the last four nights in a row-taking a break now-I came up here to relax, not turn into a fatty), everyone's been wonderful!!

Anyway, that's just my two cents. It's just a beautiful, picturesque place and I would love to have a second home here (and one day I will-mark my words)!!

Good luck and keep us posted as to what/where you decide to move.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
eyenotall777

Default Land

You did not state in your original specifics that you were considering to purchase land, but if it helps any, we used Meredith Village Savings. They have land mortgages so you can make your dream come true and found them to be very reasonable vs. other banks in the area. It is better to work w/ a local bank as they know the area. I can also say that they have dropped a whole 1% since we did it. We opted for the 3/1arm. Same fixed rate for 3yrs, then a rate change each year after till you convert to a construction loan. We've been lucky so far, our ended up dropped 2%. Good Luck
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2010, 09:34 AM   #6
beaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Di. View Post
I am looking to move from Massachusetts to Wolfeboro in two years; that is when my youngest will be graduating from High School.

We would love to hear your suggestions/cautions or anything that would help.

Our preferences are:
  • We love the downtown area and would like to be close to it.
  • We will be commuting to work (Massachusetts) for the next 7 years.
  • Schools are not an issue
  • Prefer a neighborhood-don't want to live in the sticks
  • Don't like living on a busy street
  • Don't like associations/fees
  • Avoid waterfront $$
Based on the above, what are the best areas in which to search? Which areas should we avoid?
Good luck finding buildable land close to downtown that's not in an association! I have found the following RE web site easy to use for searching. Scroll down to "Lakes Region", check Wolfeboro and narrow the search parameters as needed:
http://www.beangroup.com/property/search.php

Last edited by beaner; 07-27-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: mistake in URL
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
dpg

Thats one hell of a 7 year commute to work. I can see you getting very tired of that real soon.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
Heaven

I might first decide on which route you were going to take to commute, and start looking on that "side" of town. Will it be down 28/11 or will it be out 109 to 16?

What do you consider "neighborhood" and "sticks"? Is a development (each parcel of several acres) to sticky and not townie enough? Do you want to walk to town? What will be the value of your house once you build (you would want your parcel to be in an area of similar types$$$ of houses) . . .
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #9
redtrooper

I would suggest calling Fae Moore from Prudential Spencer Hughes, she is awesome and can find just the type of land you are looking for. She has years experience and is wonderful to work with. She is based out of the Wolfeboro Office. Good Luck, and the commute really isn't that bad, my mother has commuted to Mass for over 15 years.
redtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #10
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Thats one hell of a 7 year commute to work. I can see you getting very tired of that real soon.
I commute from Meredith to Nashua. Can't say it's fun, but with a good book on CD it's very tolerable. It's the price I've got to pay right now to live in such a beautiful area.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #11
Steve Di.

My wife and I will only be making the commute once per week. So I am not too concerned about that aspect of the move.

My reason for the original post was to find some suggestions regarding Wolfeboro neighborhoods.

Any comments on Sleep Hollow? Pleasant Valley? Beech Pond Road? Village Corner Road? Poor Farm Court Road? North Line Road?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
secondcurve

Beach Pond Road and Northline Road, while relatively close to town (5-7 miles I'd guess) are in the sticks. I thought you didn't want to be in that type of location? What is your all in budget?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Heaven

Village Corner road is almost an hour in the winter, a half hour in the summer. Might as well live in Ossipee. There is some really nice land on the top half of Beach Pond Road, north of North Line Road. There are some closer places, like Waumbeck road area (2 miles), Clark road area (walking distance)
Old 07-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Steve Di.

Default Thank You!

Thanks Heaven.

That is some feedback I have been looking for. I like Waumbeck, in fact, we looked at a lot there but it turned out to be mostly wet lands.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:58 AM   #15
Steve Di.

Default Sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Beach Pond Road and Northline Road, while relatively close to town (5-7 miles I'd guess) are in the sticks. I thought you didn't want to be in that type of location?
I have looked at land on North Line Road and considered them to be a bit rural, but not in the sticks.

There was one lot that is located a mile down a dirt road and is totally isolated. Now that is in the sticks!

I travel 2 to 3 days per week and don't think my wife would enjoy being all alone in a location such as the one I mentioned.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #16
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

If you are simply retiring, you should look at places like Moultonborough. Way better tax rate. Simpler living, less traffic and only 15 miles (20 minutes) from Wolfeboro. Great drive down a scenic highway. RT109.

Tuftonboro, Ossipee.... Lots of land for sale. Plenty of wildlife to enjoy, great lakes for fishing...Country living at it's finest. Wolfeboro in the Summer is a 15 minute drive just to get through town. More cross walks than Boston.... But if you love craft fairs every weekend, then Wolfeboro is the place to be!
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Grady223

Quote:
My wife and I will only be making the commute once per week. So I am not too concerned about that aspect of the move.

My reason for the original post was to find some suggestions regarding Wolfeboro neighborhoods.

Any comments on Sleep Hollow? Pleasant Valley? Beech Pond Road? Village Corner Road? Poor Farm Court Road? North Line Road?
Eagle Trace off Clark Road is real nice and a short walk to town.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady223 For This Useful Post:
Steve Di. (07-28-2010)
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #18
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady223 View Post
Eagle Trace off Clark Road is real nice and a short walk to town.
There may be a lot or two down Clark road or off to one side, but I'm not sure there are any building lots left in Eagle trace, it is really nice.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #19
Steve Di.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
There may be a lot or two down Clark road or off to one side, but I'm not sure there are any building lots left in Eagle trace, it is really nice.
Thank you....I fired that one off to my broker to search the area.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #20
KBoater

Default Side of town

Having once commuted to Ma, I would suggest you look for land on the south side of the town. Also look for a lot that is not wet and make sure you can build on it.
There are still a few lots that can be found on the older streets but you need a good local realtor to find them. Another consideration is town water and sewer.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:26 PM   #21
Steve Di.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
Having once commuted to Ma, I would suggest you look for land on the south side of the town. Also look for a lot that is not wet and make sure you can build on it.
There are still a few lots that can be found on the older streets but you need a good local realtor to find them. Another consideration is town water and sewer.
Amen to the south side. We have been focusing our search in that area because of the commute.

Regarding the wet lands, I have passed on some very nice lots in decent areas because of the wet lands issue. I am not sure if NH is as restrictive as Mass with respect to wet lands, but with so much land for sale, I just don't want the hassle.

BTW, some lots have town water and some have both town water and sewer. If either or both are available, does the town require a new house be hooked up to the municipal system(s)? The Town's water and sewer rates seem reasonable, but how stable have their prices been?
Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
Steve Di.

Wolfgirl, thank you for the email. I am riding up tomorrow (Thursday) to look at a lot on one of the streets you mentioned.

I tried to send you an email reply but was told your settings do not accept email.

Steve
Old 07-28-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
Heaven

You do have to hook up and there is a hookup fee
Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #24
Steve Di.

I thought so.....

I guess in the long run it is one (or two) less systems to maintain, especially the septic system.

I am curious if being on municipal water/sewer helps or hurts the resale value in NH.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #25
Lakepilot

I like the Pleasant Valley area. There is undeveloped land available and there are also a couple of nice developments.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:35 AM   #26
beaner

Quote:
You do have to hook up and there is a hookup fee
Residential hookup fee for a 2-3 bedroom house is currently $6k for water and another $6k for septic. ($7k ea for a house with 4 bedrooms).

Steep, no doubt. However, if you have the option for town water I would certainly recommend going that route. 20% of drilled artesian wells in Carroll County have levels of arsenic and radon in excess of EPA recommendations. The cost to install and maintain an arsenic remediation system will surpass the town water hookup fee within 2-3 years.
beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #27
BackBay

Sleepy Hollow is ... sleepy - not much going on
Friar Tuck is a bit further down the road, but a nice family neighborhood
Pleasant Valley has only one neighborhood off of it, "The Orchards" - 2 miles down a terrribly bumpy road - but the development is nice
Beach Pond Road - If your looking at re-sale down the line - NO!
BackBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #28
Heaven

Hemlock Drive off of North Main Street, just a mile from town has some really nice lots and some with great views, but they might be very expensive.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #29
Steve Di.

Thank you Heaven and Back Back. I value your suggestions!

I looked at the development off Hemlock. It is a nice area with great views, but you are right. It is out of my price range.

I am gaining an insight to the layout of Wolfeboro and am now gathering information on potential builders. I am starting a separate thread for that subject and would appreciate any help you all could offer.

Last edited by Steve Di.; 08-01-2010 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Sentence Added.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 AM   #30
ApS

Arrow To Avoid "Buyer's Remorse"...

Wolfeboro has so many "faces". I'd rent in the Wolfeboro area for a time.

1) Take care to watch what is "uphill" from the prospective lot: a formerly-wooded lot can be overwhelmed by any bulldozing uphill. Any new trees planted in "disturbed soil" can be (more) easily uprooted by windstorms—uphill, or on your own lot.

2) I rented locally before a recent purchase at my winter location—but there, just three years later, I still managed to develop a case of "buyer's remorse".

A house just "two over" had a much nicer view than mine, but it had not been for sale when I bought my present house! (And its sales price was comparable).

Quote:
Village Corner road is almost an hour in the winter, a half hour in the summer. Might as well live in Ossipee. There is some really nice land on the top half of Beach Pond Road, north of North Line Road. There are some closer places, like Waumbeck road area (2 miles), Clark road area (walking distance)
I stopped at a yard sale at the top of Beach Pond Road. (That house had just sold). I asked to see the (promising) view from their porch.

The seller graciously showed me an endless forested view towards the New Durham horizon—spectacular! Not a single house to be seen—it could have been Alaska!

I asked, "Who owns all the land downhill?"

He replied, "It is all Conservation land".

I asked, "Why is all stumps?"

He replied, "I cut it down".

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #31
BackBay

Quote:
Thank you Heaven and Back Back. I value your suggestions!

I am gaining an insight to the layout of Wolfeboro and am now gathering information on potential builders. I am starting a separate thread for that subject and would appreciate any help you all could offer.
I'll look for the thread - there are many builders in this town - choose carefully
BackBay is offline   Reply With Quote