Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2023, 02:52 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Long Distance Moving Companies ?

Looking for suggestions for Long Distance Moving Companies ?
The good, bad and those to stay away from......

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:35 PM   #2
MeredithMan

Default How far?

How far is "long distance"? Within New England or cross country? Two suggestions:

1) Humboldt Moving & Storage. They are in Canton, MA, and are a United agent and can handle major cross-country moves. They are a big outfit. We used them several times to go from MA to CT; CT back to MA; and MA to NH. We had our whole house in storage with them for 3 months at one point, and everything came back in perfect shape.

2) For a more local move, (within NH or New England), Central Lakes Region Movers in Belmont, NH, is great. We used them to move our son to Rutland, VT. They came down to Bedford, packed up his bedroom, plus some other furniture we were giving him; stopped in Meredith to pick up some more stuff we were giving him; and then brought it all over to Rutland and moved it in to his place.

Lastly, for both of those moves, I also asked "Ray the Mover" from Manchester, (right beside the highway across from the Millyard...an Allied agent), for a quote and they were significantly more expensive.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:57 PM   #3
TheProfessor

READ the contract.

Ray the Mover - Manchester, NH.

Some/many/few pick up items locally. Then transfer to large tractor trailer for the long distance. All of my items/furniture showed up in excellent condition. Nothing lost.

I bought numbered stickers for all that I moved long distance. Then took pictures.

Ask about insurance.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 04:38 PM   #4
TheProfessor

The moving story. A true story.

Friend bought a nice new Skiffington home.
Large house with game/movie/TV room above garage.
I counted 11 "receivers" or electronic items in a rack near big screen.
An amp. Pre-amp, stereo receiver, game console, and other electronic items I had no clue what they did.

He sold house and placed all items he wanted to keep in a storage facility in Concord, NH. A new house was being built in Florida.

He asked me about movers. To his Florida home.
I suggested Ray the Mover.
Advice ignored. As he knew a less expensive way.
He went on line.
Found a moving company in Brooklyn, NY.
Got a price of $1,750.00.

Moving day. He was working. He sent his wife to the storage unit place. But asked me to drive down to Concord, NH - to not have his wife alone there.

Pickup was to be 10:00 AM.
Noon comes. No movers. Telephone calls back and forth.
Movers finally arrive at 1:30 PM.
They drove box truck/moving truck from Brooklyn, NY to Concord, NH.
1/3 of items loaded in truck - and the moving guys state that there is more stuff than agreed to and that the price would have to go up. More phone calls. I am calling the husband. Husband calls the moving company in Brooklyn. Brooklyn calls the movers in Concord.
Price/cost goes up to $2.750.00.

2/3 truck if filled and movers state that that again there is more stuff than expected. And price would have to go up. Same sequences of multiple phone calls. Increase price agreed.
$3,250.00

Hours later the movers leave.

Expected date of delivery to Florida comes and goes. More phone calls.
The following Monday for delivery. Nothing. More phone calls. The following next week Wednesday for delivery.
But on Tuesday. Tractor trailer shows up with all furniture/electronics.
The tractor trailer driver states that he needs $2,500.00 in CASH to unload contents. No checks. No credit cards. If items are not delivered that day there would be a daily storage charge.

Off to the bank he goes. Gets $2,500.00 gives to driver and all items are placeed in new home. AND there was some damage.

NOW.
People reading this may have taken all sorts of different actions at delivery time. But the Florida family wanted/needed items in truck.

Granted. Most/many moving companies are NOT like this. The point here is that there is one that I personally know of.

Bottom line. Read the contract. And get a reputable moving company.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheProfessor For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (07-26-2023)