Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2024, 11:14 AM   #1
jayhawk_nation

Default New to the lake

Hey everyone. I am a boater who has been boating on Cape Cod and the ocean for a few years now. We have found a spot for our boat, and we are moving it up there soon. Do you have any tips to start off? Also, where should we visit first? We also like tubing and skiing, so any good places for that? Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
jayhawk_nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 12:30 PM   #2
garysanfran

Smile

"Red-right-returning" does not apply...
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Biggd (Yesterday)
Old 05-22-2024, 12:30 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,968 Times in 1,216 Posts

Welcome to the lake (and forum)!

Step #1: Winni is rocky, so get a chart. Bizer makes the most popular one, and it can be found at most marinas in the area.

Step #2: Winni is big. Let us know where you'll be keeping the boat, and we'll send some suggestions your way.

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 01:05 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts
Default Welcome

Welcome to the Forum. Yes, geography is important. Helpful to put locations on your profile so it shows up with every post. Congratulations on finding a place for your boat. This can be very difficult. If you will need it in 2025, sign up now.

NH requires a safe boater certificate; we recognize ones issued by other states as well as the Coast Guard and Power Squadron.

Unique to NH is the 150' rule. This requires headway speed boat to boat as well as the more common headway speed from shore and docks. You will see some violations, especially from folks who we refer to here as Captain Bonehead.

Go north or east of a black top buoy and south or west of a red stripe buoy. (The stripe is so color blind folks can tell the difference between red and black.) But not always. For example there is a black top buoy south of Welch Island (#76, almost exactly in the middle of the chart) You go east of this one, as the instructions imply, but if you go north, you're too close to Welch Island. Follow the dotted line on the chart.

Have fun.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 04:00 PM   #5
NHskier

Coming from the coast, this is a big one!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
"Red-right-returning" does not apply...
Here’s a quick overview of NH markers.

Pay close attention to your chart, and don’t assume the boater in front of you is taking the correct path around a marker. Whenever in doubt, slow down and refer to your chart.

Pay attention to the weather, including the wind. The lake can get very choppy particularly out in the Broads and more open areas. Traffic in some areas like the Weirs on a weekend will create heavy chop as well.
Old 05-22-2024, 04:09 PM   #6
jayhawk_nation

Thanks for all of the info so far. We are keeping our 27 foot boat in North Water Marine, near Weirs beach. It used to be called Thurston I think?
Few questions, first how choppy will it get on a bad day? Our boat has been out in the ocean plenty of times, does it compare? I have heard bad things about weirs channel, any tips on navigating it? I have also purchased myself a map and have been reviewing it closely. The last thing I would want is to hit some rocks, so I will make sure to stay far away from any rocks, like the witches.
Lastly, the 150 rule is confusing. If I understand it correctly go at idle speed if I am 150 feet your shore or another boat? Thanks for everyone’s help!
Old 05-22-2024, 04:37 PM   #7
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk_nation View Post
Thanks for all of the info so far. We are keeping our 27 foot boat in North Water Marine, near Weirs beach. It used to be called Thurston I think?

Few questions, first how choppy will it get on a bad day? Our boat has been out in the ocean plenty of times, does it compare? I have heard bad things about weirs channel, any tips on navigating it? I have also purchased myself a map and have been reviewing it closely. The last thing I would want is to hit some rocks, so I will make sure to stay far away from any rocks, like the witches.

Lastly, the 150 rule is confusing. If I understand it correctly go at idle speed if I am 150 feet your shore or another boat? Thanks for everyone’s help!
Honestly, I think the area just outside the Weirs Channel is the absolute worst on the lake—usually busy, super choppy (especially on imperfect weather days), tight, and full of boneheads. Outside of that ~1/2 mile changes things a lot, and Paugus Bay can be pretty chill.

Your interpretation of the 150' rule is correct, though there are also a significant number of no-wake and no-rafting zones you'll want to familiarize yourself with.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
jayhawk_nation (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 04:51 PM   #8
8gv

Ocean... is where all waves are coming from the same direction.

Winni... is sometimes like a blender set to 11

Welcome!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
beagle (05-22-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 05:57 PM   #9
jayhawk_nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Honestly, I think the area just outside the Weirs Channel is the absolute worst on the lake—usually busy, super choppy (especially on imperfect weather days), tight, and full of boneheads. Outside of that ~1/2 mile changes things a lot, and Paugus Bay can be pretty chill.

Your interpretation of the 150' rule is correct, though there are also a significant number of no-wake and no-rafting zones you'll want to familiarize yourself with.

Thanks for that. I plan on going out on the weekdays in the coming weeks so I can get used to getting around this area. The whole area, just looking at it from land, looks sketchy for the boat. I will be sure to be very comfortable before venturing out on busy weekends. One quick question, my 14-year-old son has a boating license/certificate from Massachusetts. Does it work in NH? I read that the law to operate is higher, so is he allowed to? I also own one. Do I need an NH one? Thanks
Old 05-22-2024, 06:25 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Quote:
Thanks for that. I plan on going out on the weekdays in the coming weeks so I can get used to getting around this area. The whole area, just looking at it from land, looks sketchy for the boat. I will be sure to be very comfortable before venturing out on busy weekends. One quick question, my 14-year-old son has a boating license/certificate from Massachusetts. Does it work in NH? I read that the law to operate is higher, so is he allowed to? I also own one. Do I need an NH one? Thanks
Here you go—this is from the State Police website. Anyone under 16 must be under the supervision of someone 18+ with a boater's license. This applies to 25 horsepower or above. Anything under is the Wild West (and why so many boat renters get in trouble).

Also, great idea on exploring during the week—it's a significantly different landscape—though Saturday mornings (before 11/12) and Sunday afternoons (after 3/4) are often totally fine.

Old 05-22-2024, 08:18 PM   #11
jayhawk_nation

Thank you for that. I will make sure to track down my boating license. I am planning on heading out on the water for the first time next week, is there any particular spot I should visit? I plan on also doing some water skiing during the earlier morning with my son, does any place on the lake work for that? Is it better is a cove somewhere? Super excited for my first time out there, praying I don’t hit anything
Old 05-22-2024, 09:41 PM   #12
8gv

Water skiing early next week?

The water might be uncomfortably cold.

But then again, I'm old so who knows.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Agreed on the water temps and skiing—I'd just take a leisurely cruise around whatever section you choose to start familiarizing yourself with the lake.

In terms of hitting something: in 10 years of boating Winni, starting completely from scratch, I have not hit a single object, and I boat primarily up north, the area many people think is the most challenging.

Use the chart, know where you are at all times, and take your time, and everything will be awesome.

Good luck!

Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM   #14
pjard

This lake is so big with so many coves and wide open spots. Give it a few trips and you will find the quiet spots even on busy holiday weekends. You will also learn very quickly the places to stay clear of. If you are able, do you several trips on weekdays, pick a destination, look at a Bizer map for rocks and have fun. It will take some time but you'll be fine.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:19 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Welcome to Winni boating.

Old school boater here. So here are some pointers.

General rules of boating on the seacoast also apply on NH inland waterways.

Get familiar with the hills and mountaintops around the lake. They can be your guide to your general locations on the lake. Red Hill is usually North of Winnipesaukee.

Stop at Marine HQ in Glendale. They have a sticker you can apply on your dash panel to remind you of the buoys' descriptions.

If you are lost, seek the nearest light buoy. They are numbered. Match up the number on your chart and you will have an idea where you are.

Always be defensive! Never assume others will adhere to navigational rules of order.

Take it slow the first year! Better to be safe than sorry!

Have fun boating!
Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM   #16
whalebackpoint'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
This lake is so big with so many coves and wide open spots. Give it a few trips and you will find the quiet spots even on busy holiday weekends. You will also learn very quickly the places to stay clear of. If you are able, do you several trips on weekdays, pick a destination, look at a Bizer map for rocks and have fun. It will take some time but you'll be fine.
Many boaters do not have a clue as to what 150 feet looks like on the water. I like to think of it as half the length of a football field. That rule applies to the shorelines, another boat, person, dock, raft, etc. and applies to both sides of your craft. So, to pass between any of these, you need 300 feet plus the width of your craft. any distance less than that is at idle speed.
whalebackpoint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whalebackpoint'r For This Useful Post:
jayhawk_nation (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #17
LakeWinniMom

Smile

If your boat is registered in MA, it can only be operated in NH for 30 consecutive days before it needs to be registered in NH. Make sure it has a good cleaning before putting it into the lake to keep all the ocean critters away.

Be prepared to wait for docking space at any Town Dock on the weekends, be patient and wait your turn. Meredith Bay has a very long no-wake zone leading to the Town Docks, worth it though - many restaurants and stores within walking distance.

Thank you for taking the time to learn the lake and the rules of the lake, it is much appreciated!

Enjoy your first year on Winni, lots of fun to explore!
LakeWinniMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalebackpoint'r View Post
Many boaters do not have a clue as to what 150 feet looks like on the water. I like to think of it as half the length of a football field. That rule applies to the shorelines, another boat, person, dock, raft, etc. and applies to both sides of your craft. So, to pass between any of these, you need 300 feet plus the width of your craft. any distance less than that is at idle speed.
I alway taught my kids that 150’ is the length of two water ski lines
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #19
Meredith AK

Default Sandbar at the Margate

As you're near the Weirs channel, an option is the sandbar to the right (from the water) of the Margate resort on Paugus Bay. Easy to walk your boat in. Make sure you have 2 good anchors (bow and stern) to secure your location. Pack beverages and lunch for a fun day relaxing and saving gas money. Try to get there early (8-10ish) as it fills up early. On the way to/from, you can tube and ski as Paugus is typically calmer.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM   #20
garysanfran

Jayhawk Nation...You're worrying too much. Just go out with your chart. Go slow at first. Get familiar with certain areas. Then go fast and have fun.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM   #21
bigdog

Quote:
Welcome to the Lake !
IMHO, I would do my boating on the weekdays 'if you can' !
Weekends tend to bring out a lot of crazy boaters, who don't know the rules of the road, or who just don't care. Be careful and enjoy all the Lake offers !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM   #22
jayhawk_nation

Thanks for all the tips, everyone. I didn't even think about how cold the water would be next week. I will try and track down some wet suits to use to stay warm. My plan is to go out next week and go slow at first. I will try and navigate around new places slowly at first, before picking up the speed. I will also map it out beforehand on my map so I can find any rocks to avoid.

One registration question: As of now, my boat is registered in MA. How quickly do I need to get myself an NH one, if I need to at all, and where would I go about finding one of these?
I know in MA, there were a few laws regarding tubing and skiing and needing a spotter; it is my understanding that I need a spotter in NH, too. Are there any other rules around this topic, time of day restrictions, or anything else? Appreciate everyone helping me out; I can't wait to have fun on the lake this summer!
Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM   #23
trashman

Default 14 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Here you go—this is from the State Police website. Anyone under 16 must be under the supervision of someone 18+ with a boater's license. This applies to 25 horsepower or above. Anything under is the Wild West (and why so many boat renters get in trouble).

Also, great idea on exploring during the week—it's a significantly different landscape—though Saturday mornings (before 11/12) and Sunday afternoons (after 3/4) are often totally fine.

I believe where his son is 14 years old, he is allowed to drive up to a 25 hp engine without anyone else with him, and without a license. It says if over 16 years old and driving a boat with an engine that's over 25hp, they need someone older with them who has their license.
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #24
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I believe where his son is 14 years old, he is allowed to drive up to a 25 hp engine without anyone else with him, and without a license. It says if over 16 years old and driving a boat with an engine that's over 25hp, they need someone older with them who has their license.
Yup—I noted that with my comment about it applying to 25 horsepower or above, etc.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM   #25
NHskier

You can pick up a free copy of the NH Boater’s Guide at many marinas, and I know in the past they’ve had them at Thurston’s/North Water. They’ll have them at Marine Patrol HQ in Glendale as well.

Having been a long-time slip renter at Thurston’s and being familiar with the new dock configuration with North Water:
- the dam flow at Lakeport (end of Paugus Bay) defines the water flow through the channel. When wide open the current is running very fast making it more of a challenge to get in and out.
- the channel can get very busy particularly on weekends. Heading out before 10am can help avoid the heaviest traffic.
- Best to exit the dock area towards Paugus Bay, then once the channel widens towards Winni Marine swing around and head back to the main lake. Same thing coming back in, go past the dock entry, swing around and approach coming into the current to have better control.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #26
Major

Thanked 1,007 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
Having been a long-time slip renter at Thurston’s and being familiar with the new dock configuration with North Water:
- Best to exit the dock area towards Paugus Bay, then once the channel widens towards Winni Marine swing around and head back to the main lake. Same thing coming back in, go past the dock entry, swing around and approach coming into the current to have better control.

This is the best advice I’ve seen on the Forum! A big thank you! I wish everyone else followed this advice as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (Today), jayhawk_nation (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #27
jayhawk_nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskier View Post
You can pick up a free copy of the NH Boater’s Guide at many marinas, and I know in the past they’ve had them at Thurston’s/North Water. They’ll have them at Marine Patrol HQ in Glendale as well.

- the dam flow at Lakeport (end of Paugus Bay) defines the water flow through the channel. When wide open the current is running very fast making it more of a challenge to get in and out.
- the channel can get very busy particularly on weekends. Heading out before 10am can help avoid the heaviest traffic.
So you're saying go down the river coming out of the marina and spin around when it is safe before heading back up? And go past the marina coming back before spinning back? My only question is, how fast does the current get moving, and when is it the worst? I feel like the current adds stress to an already stressful and busy area. Are there any days when it is too fast for your boat to handle, or at least too fast, where you feel unsafe?
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #28
Rich

Welcome to the lake!!

I remember my first year! Lot's to learn and I'm still learning.

I'm often around during the week also, normally Wednesday on, but it varies. I'm happy to meet up or take you for a ride.

Get your chart, find the following to know where they are so you can avoid problems and be prepared:

1) The Witches (off Governer's Isle and Timber Isle)
2) Spindle point, find the navaids, it's sort of an S turn get through the area
3) No wake zones, for example Eagle Island and Governor's Island pass, inside Governor's Island pass, through the Weirs Channel until south of the area about at the Ice Cream shack.
4) The graveyard (yes).

If you have the Bizer chart (highly recommended), find the 'suggested path' that will show you how best route yourself past many islands and the markers (some don't make sense, sometimes you pass between the marker and an island, other times you stay on the far side of a marker from the island).

Remember the Navaids !!!! :

Red-Top Stay south or west of them. (if you're going north/south stay west, if you're going west/east stay south.

Black-Top: Stay north or east of them. (if your going north/south, stay east, If you're going east/west, stay north).

All Red, and companion all Black. Go between Red and black.

How to remember the above?

Think of Red as a warm color, and is warm like the South West USA
Think of Black as a cold color, and is cold like the North East USA.

Good luck and enjoy the lake. Learn the surrounding hills and features, for example Gunstock Mountain ski slopes can be seen from most parts of the lake, it helps you get your orientation.

Take a ride and watch your chart, never follow another boater thinking he must know where is safe. Often they do, but often it's someone just as confused are you are!

Good luck and have fun! Feel free to ask for help or go for a ride together.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
jayhawk_nation (Today)
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #29
steve-on-mark

Quote:
So you're saying go down the river coming out of the marina and spin around when it is safe before heading back up? And go past the marina coming back before spinning back? My only question is, how fast does the current get moving, and when is it the worst? I feel like the current adds stress to an already stressful and busy area. Are there any days when it is too fast for your boat to handle, or at least too fast, where you feel unsafe?
It's always easier to control your boat when going against the current rather than with it. Now think of what happens when you squeeze the end of a garden hose while water is running through it. The amount of water flowing doesn't change, but the pressure increases greatly...all the water flowing towards the dam is squeezed into that small channel which causes the currents to increase. It's not dangerous like under the General Sullivan Bridge in Dover / Newington, but it can push you around a little, so to maintain more control going against it really helps!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
jayhawk_nation (Today)
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #30
jayhawk_nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Welcome to the lake!!

I remember my first year! Lot's to learn and I'm still learning.

I'm often around during the week also, normally Wednesday on, but it varies. I'm happy to meet up or take you for a ride.

Get your chart, find the following to know where they are so you can avoid problems and be prepared:

1) The Witches (off Governer's Isle and Timber Isle)
2) Spindle point, find the navaids, it's sort of an S turn get through the area
3) No wake zones, for example Eagle Island and Governor's Island pass, inside Governor's Island pass, through the Weirs Channel until south of the area about at the Ice Cream shack.
4) The graveyard (yes).

If you have the Bizer chart (highly recommended), find the 'suggested path' that will show you how best route yourself past many islands and the markers (some don't make sense, sometimes you pass between the marker and an island, other times you stay on the far side of a marker from the island).

Remember the Navaids !!!! :

Red-Top Stay south or west of them. (if you're going north/south stay west, if you're going west/east stay south.

Black-Top: Stay north or east of them. (if your going north/south, stay east, If you're going east/west, stay north).

All Red, and companion all Black. Go between Red and black.

How to remember the above?

Think of Red as a warm color, and is warm like the South West USA
Think of Black as a cold color, and is cold like the North East USA.

Good luck and enjoy the lake. Learn the surrounding hills and features, for example Gunstock Mountain ski slopes can be seen from most parts of the lake, it helps you get your orientation.

Take a ride and watch your chart, never follow another boater thinking he must know where is safe. Often they do, but often it's someone just as confused are you are!

Good luck and have fun! Feel free to ask for help or go for a ride together.
Thank you for that. My only question is how well-marked is those spots with rocks. The Witches and graveyard? Are they easy to navigate around and avoid?
Old Today, 07:12 AM   #31
thinkxingu

Quote:
Thank you for that. My only question is how well-marked is those spots with rocks. The Witches and graveyard? Are they easy to navigate around and avoid?
They're well-marked, and there's plenty of room to navigate, BUT if one gets confused or isn't 100% on how markers work, or is approaching too quickly, it/they can become a problem...and often do.

That being said, if you've got your chart and know where you are—and keep to that "safe passage" line—you'll have no problems.

If you get mixed up, turned around, etc. just slow down/stop until you figure it out. There's no rush out there, right?

Old Today, 07:50 AM   #32
Major

Thanked 1,007 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
The issue is that at Thurston's Marina (I forget the new name), it is very narrow and the current when the lake is high is somewhere between 6-10 MPH, so it's strong. When coming out of the marina and going towards the "big lake", when there is heavy traffic, it is difficult to feather your way into the line of traffic, especially with the heavy current. So when coming out, if you go towards Paugus Bay and turn around where it is wider and the current has less effect, it is easier to go to the "big lake". When coming in from the "big lake", often the marina is filled with boats and traffic in the small area, and with the current, it is difficult to make the righthand turn into the marina. As noted above, it is easier to make a lefthand turn against the current.

Those of us who travel into and out of the Weirs Beach channel are often encountered by some sort of S-show from someone trying to enter and exit the marina. This was great advice as to how to navigate it.
Major is online now   Reply With Quote