View Single Post
Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #36
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
We spend big $$$ to fight the influx of milfoil in the Lake. Lots of money and lots of manpower. Why?

Because it is plant that is invasive and is not native to the Lake. If it is allowed to go unchecked it will turn our beautiful Lake into a swamp. Watch the property values drop!

I consider geese to be like milfoil. They have been around for a long time but have not taken up residence on the Lake until recent years. Now they are breeding here. If they are allowed to populate the Lake unchecked they will ruin the water quality and watch the property values drop.

I do not have a solution on how to get them off of the Lake. We don't want to do anything stupid but something has to be done.

Any ideas?

Misty Blue
Misty: You provides good summary of the problem. The only way to deal with the situation is through an extended hunting season with higher bag limits. Chasing them from one property to the next does nothing to solve the underlying issue. We need to allow more geese to be taken in a sporting manner and used for food. This will eliminate the unwarranted geese/human interactions that are increasing by the day. Before I hear some well intentioned but misinformed person say the geese were here before us so let them stay I'll point out that it is human development that has caused the explosion in the goose population. Manicured lawns and golf courses are conducive habitat and that is the reason for the unchecked population growth. The people who eat fish, crabs, hamburger, steak, veal etc. are the same folks who refuse to deal with nuisance animals because they look so cute.

Last edited by secondcurve; 06-12-2014 at 06:12 PM.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote