Thread: House lift
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #19
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Cannot think of anyone to do your crawlspace work, but here's a quick question. Does it have a drain-away setup to keep water away from the crawlspace?

My place is somewhat similar with a crawl space, a dirt sub-floor, and enclosed side walls. So's what I did about 12-years ago was to install a drain-away by digging a small ditch around the cottage using gardening tools.

Basically, it's a 6" deep ditch dug with an edger and a mattock hoe, 4" pvc pipe w/ lots of 1/2" holes drilled into the upper half of the pipe, and small gravel pored into the ditch around the pipe. The ditch is about 6" wide and has the gravel up to surface level.

It's not 100% water tight, but it seems to help a lot to keep the crawl space dry. April snow meltdown is about the only time when some moisture gets past the drain-away and into the crawl space, so's opening the side doors lets air into the space to dry it out.

A happy face, do-it-yourself project, good to keep you busy for a couple of those too-rainy June weekends! ..
I think this is called "French Drains". Google it to make sure. I would do this FIRST and you can do most of it yourself ...OR... you can JOG three miles and get nothing done. No need fooling around in a crawl space under the house. The idea is to eliminate the SOURCE of the problem.....which is likely coming from outside the house on the uphill side. I would go deeper than described above.. Look up "French Drains". NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote