View Single Post
Old 12-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #31
MeredithMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife View Post
We lived through 8 days without power during Hurricane Sandy before we moved up here, and it was definitely not something I would want to repeat.

We were told by one of the Wolfeboro restaurant owners before we closed that power can be lost for several days during the winter if not longer, so it was on our radar to buy.

After 6 power outages in 2019-20, mostly because of fallen trees in the area, we purchased a Kohler whole house generator through Generator Connection.

It automatically turns on every week for 15 minutes, they came out this week for the yearly service, and it is worth it for us to have peace of mind.

Since we installed it, every storm that's forecast doesn't worry me at all like it used to, I'm no longer nervous about losing the food in the fridge, as well as anything else.

Everyone has different priorities on how to spend their hard earned money, and for us, this was a decision we're very happy we made.
Totally relate to your comments. We, too, were in CT during Sandy and also the Halloween Blizzard, (I forget what year that was...maybe 2012?). Anyway, we were living in Southwest CT, which is pretty rural, just like NH. In each storm, we were without power for about 7 or 8 days. We had both well and septic, so it became pretty gross, pretty fast. Additionally, during the Halloween Blizzard, there was also no heat, so the house was about 40 degrees, which may not sound cold, but when your furniture and bedding is 40 degrees, you feel it.

After those experiences, we decided we would never go without a whole house generator ever again.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MeredithMan For This Useful Post: