View Single Post
Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #43
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
I am NOT a lawyer! My understanding is that if land is not clearly posted people can go on it unless and until asked to leave by the property owner. Perhaps this is not the case and simply an unwritten yet widely agreed upon practice in the rural area where I live as well as on the island property I summer.

That said, whether it is legal or not, it is in poor taste and a bit creepy to go up on a stranger's porch and peer in windows. Common sense (which, admittedly, is not always so common) says to be respectful and minimize any impact on someone else's land - and don't peer in windows!
You’re talking about “current use” for tax purposes which is designed for open acreage/not-in-use land for purposes like hiking, hunting, etc.
If anyone comes into my YARD or near my buildings that is where the “current use” law stops, obviously. My back woods are open to being walked through and even hunted providing you stay 300’ from any of my dwellings. If I decide to POST my land for NO HUNTING NO TRESSPASSING then all bets are off as far as passing through or hunting. I would also expect a tax increase if I did this.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote