View Single Post
Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #29
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I just had a moment to test the battery. After sitting for two days, it's testing out at 11 volts. So, just enough to start the engine, but not enough to run the tilt motor?

It would seem that the voltage is high enough after a couple days to assume it's not a parasitic draw but rather a dead cell or failing battery?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
11 volts could be a parasitic load or a bad battery. When battery voltage drops below 11.8 volts on a lead acid 12V deep-cycle battery, damage is being done to the battery. If voltage drops below 12.1 volts on a lead acid 12V starting battery, damage is being done. Thus, regardless of what kind of battery you are using, damage is done...

I think the first step should be to find out if there is a parasitic load, then when that is sorted out, get a new battery, and finally test the charging system.

If you are using the battery for more than just starting and running, you may discover that the outboard alternator is inadequate to keep the battery charged. FWIW, I don't know anyone that regrets adding an onboard automatic battery charger that runs on 120VAC (house power). I am very pleased with the Pronautic charger on my boat.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote