View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 12:36 AM   #32
Susie Cougar

Default Snow or hurricane

In the five years I’ve lived in Florida now, we have had only one real scare of a hurricane and that was in 2017 with Hurricane Irma. It looked like we were going to get hit really hard and everybody had to put their hurricane shutters up in preparation. I will admit it was pretty scary not knowing what would happen.
But the hurricane changed course and we escaped without any damage. Insurance is not expensive, my regular homeowners as well as additional flood insurance( which is necessary because of a lot of hurricane damage is caused from water) combined is around $1300 a year.
Plus, the building codes in Florida have really improved over the last 25years or so. They learned a lot from hurricane Andrew in 1992. Any new home built since 2005 is required to come with hurricane shutters as well for extra protection.

This same hurricane hit the Caribbean really hard. My sister, who is a full-time resident in Moultonborough, had devastating destruction to her home on the island of Anguilla. She had no insurance because the cost there is so prohibitive - $20,000 a year approximately. There is also a huge deductible as well. She took the chance and went for about 10 years before her house was hit with about $300,000 in damage which she had to pay herself.
Things in Florida are pretty good. 😎
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote