View Single Post
Old 12-31-2019, 02:45 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I (homeowner) don't understand how a driveway is supposed to be plowed. When the plow truck drives back and forth over my driveway several times, it leaves a hard crust of ice that I then have to chip and scrape away, one painful square inch at a time. Is this normal? After the storm a couple of weeks ago it took me 3 hours with the ice breaker to remove the ice caused by the plow. It would have taken me ONE hour to shovel the whole driveway myself because it was 4" of light snow.

My fear is that if I just leave the ice caused by the plow, it will get worse with each storm and build up over the winter. Of course the other issue is damage to the lawn.

QUESTION: What exactly should I expect from plowing?

In my experience snowblowing is a lot neater but I can't find anyone with a snowblower. Not strong enough/young enough to handle a snowblower myself.
The plow doesn't cause the ice. I plow my own driveway in Ma and even though I can stay on top of it ice will still build up if you have snow/then rain/then freezing temps.
You are going to get a much cleaner scrap with a shovel of even a snow blower but if you're blaming the snow plow driver then he will probably drop you like a hot potato.
My guy up in NH plows my driveway and when there is ice build up he sands and salts.
It does seems that there is more of an Ice problem in NH. I think it's because the temps drop more quickly up there.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post: