Thread: Jet Ski Advice
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #68
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
That's what I was referring to with the carbon ring "issue." I think the manual says no more than 90 seconds, which is easy to do for pre-riding, but I'm wondering about what it takes to "clear it out" afterward.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I would never, and have never, run a jet ski that has been pulled from fresh water to "clear it out". It is fine and ready for the next ride just the way you took it out of the water.

When I use something in salt water I take it back to the house and immediately attach the garden hose and run the motor for about 5 minutes. Then I pressure wash it and the trailer.

Any boat that I am taking to a ramp I start it at the house for about 2 seconds just to make sure it is ready to go and the battery is up. As soon as it fires I shut it off.

When launching the jet ski I instruct whoever is driving it to start it in reverse. That way, if the nose has come off the front stop,and it often does due to the incline of the ramp, you don't start it and slam it back into the trailer. People forget that from the moment you start it it is always pumping water (until they suck up a dock line)

On the jet skis and the pontoon boats that I trailer I loosen the winch strap about a foot before completely backing down the ramp. That way, when I hit the brakes the boat will move back a foot and be in slightly deeper water. The tow vehicle will not have to go as far into the water and doing this also breaks any friction if the boat has been on the trailer for a long time. Sometimes they stick.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote