Thread: Jet Ski Advice
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
Hi all,

Simply, 4 stroke and 2 stroke jetskis are quite different.
  • Other than the Yamaha Superjet, there are no new 2 stroke models on the market. So, all the contemporary models are 4 stroke.
  • I have both a 2 stroke (1996 SeaDoo GTX) and a 4 stroke (2002 SeaDoo 4-Tec GTX). The riding characteristics of the two are quite different. The GTX is lighter and more maneuverable. The 4-Tec GTX is heavier and more of a flat out cruiser. The GTX will dance on the waves and the 4-Tec GTX tends to cut a bit more through the waves.
  • If you are planning to tow, the 4 stroke is a much better choice.
  • In general, 2 strokes require more maintenance and will likely be less reliable. Over time, I have replaced the engine, the gauges, the pump etc... In addition, the earlier jetskis did not anticipate E10 gasoline. The gas lines in my GTX decomposed based upon the E10 gasoline and I had to rebuild the carburetors and replace all the fuel lines. Additionally, the 2 stroke jetskis are all open loop cooled which means that if there is an obstruction in the water feed, you can blow the engine. The 4 strokes are closed loop cooled.
  • All this being said, I do like my 2 stroke and my 4 stroke...they are very different rides. Maintenance aside, the 2 stroke is more fun. Pragmatically, if I was going to replace either, I would ditch the 2 stroke for another 4 stroke.

I hope that this is helpful

Jetskier
Start using Startron fuel system treatment, and you will NEVER have to worry about ethanol fuel ever again. Best stuff on the planet for treating fuel systems IMHO. I have been using it in everything I own, in both 2 and 4 stroke engines for 30 plus years, (except daily drivers of course), and have NEVER had to rebuild a carburetor yet. As a matter of fact, Startron "fixed" a gummed up carb I had on a snowblower one time. Snowblower was hard starting and would only run on "choke" at first, but eventually, after a couple hrs of running time with a heavy dose of Startron, it started running better and better, and is fine to this day. It is good for cleaning fuel injectors too, not just for motors with a carburetor. They also have Diesel treatment too. Amazing product.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 09-10-2019 at 06:11 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote