View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
No dock is permanent once that ice starts moving. I have a grandfathered dock that is very large and unique so I love having it but the first ice out after purchase (2012) it was ripped apart by moving ice. Fixed it and no problems since but every spring is a hold your breath moment till the ice is gone. If I was starting from scratch I would go with a crank up and avoid the worries. Had one installed by Watermark at my old place and it was great. I believe you are allowed a 40 ft crank up but only 30 ft if permanent so that may be a factor as well.
It really all depends on where the dock is located. My old place on Mark Island still has a 3 finger permanent crib dock that I installed back in 2004 in place and it has not moved, but its located in the bay between Mark and Bear. If out in the open, all bets are off.

Dock length is dictated by frontage and depth. You are correct on the standards being 40' for crank up. A permanent depends on depth. The definition of a slip comes into play, which is 25' of length once you hit 3' of depth at full lake. Ours were 30' long for the inner slips as we had plenty of depth. The outer sides were 36' because of attaching walkway.

https://www.des.nh.gov/sites/g/files...0-01/wb-19.pdf

Our new seasonal/removable dock (permitted) on Bear is 75' long, with a U starting at about 50' out to one side. We are very shallow to say the least!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote