View Single Post
Old 11-04-2022, 04:32 AM   #19
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Running a woodstove on unseasoned wood with air turned way down is apt to contribute to fouling the chimney, potentially leading later to a chimney fire. If you see smoke coming from the chimney well after startup, that's an indication of incomplete combustion from wet wood or a stove simply not running hot enough. Smoke from the chimney is only part of what enters the chimney.
Yes, that's what I thought.

So when I had a chance to examine the inside if my stainless steel pipe and three Metalbestos pipe sections--following ten+ years of seasonal use--i can report a very thin layer of creosote. Woodstoves aren't as likely to have chimney fires anyway. It's fireplaces that are especially suspect. If you suspect you're having a chimney fire, don't open the damper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Add carbon monoxide detectors to that list, especially if you’re burning wood for heat.
I installed one in a bedroom as soon as they came out.

"Maintence" required annually replacing the 9-volt battery plus a special "module" that you had to order from the factory every year.

Curious as to the $47 special plastic 'module" that had to be ordered from the factory, I pried a corner to peek inside. "Prying" turned into "opening"; whereupon, I found an ordinary 9-volt battery!

When it comes to extinguishing a fire, keep extinguishers fully loaded, and mounted for safe and rapid deployment on each floor and at the shoreline.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote