View Single Post
Old 11-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #81
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
What's the difference between using your lawn chairs, or lawn as a toilet and finding an unlocked door, gaining entrance and lounging in your living room for an afternoon? Nothing damaged. Nothing missing. No harm done?
If I have left a door unlocked, I have not done my job as a home owner to keep my property safe.... Have I?

Your trying to compare scenarios that aren't equal. When you leave anything outside and don't have your property posted with No Trespassing signs, the ease and legality of someone coming onto your property becomes a grey area.
If something is stolen off your property in such conditions, yes it is theft, but your insurance carrier may not cover you, because you failed to secure your property and made the theft possible.

Laws become very specific and change once someone enters into a dwelling uninvited. But yet you still can get tied up in legalities especially with insurance carriers, if there is no sign of forced entry.

I will not deny that what Codeman, found on his camera's is alarming, and I too would be more then ticked off, especially if I had audio (which may or may not be legal in some states, servailence equipment can't have audio) and heard what her heard.

The question becomes how would I handle the situation... My re-action would have been different.... with no real damage done, I just don't see the point other then maybe deciding to make the place look less inviting..... Putting up no tresspassing signs and property under servailance signs would generally do the trick...