View Single Post
Old 10-24-2022, 07:23 PM   #40
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Lake Winnipesaukee presents a difficult situation for locating public toilets and people just pee in the lake when the water is warm enough in the summer, but that becomes a problem when the water temp is too cold, like right now with 57-degree water temp.
Again I say, plan ahead. Yes, it's an inconvenience. Too bad. A kayaker's inconvenience doesn't supersede a property owner's expectation of privacy and respect for his land. I was kayaking in Maine yesterday. On long trips I carry a two-part bucket toilet with pine pellets for liquid waste and sawdust for solid (hence my question here some time ago about sources of sawdust in the Lakes Region). It took me a while yesterday to find a secluded wooded area. Inconvenient, yes, but common sense. Like your mama said, go to the bathroom before you hit the road or the water. I'm not claiming I would never land my kayak on private land to pee if I had to. Just that I wouldn't brazenly pull up to someone's dock, pee in front of their house, lounge around, and make rude comments in front of the cameras. I would find a secluded place well away from houses. I think the OP was most bothered by the attitude of the kayakers, not the damage caused by peeing on his land.

All outdoor sports people have to deal with this problem---boaters, hikers, backpackers, campers, canoeists, cyclists, fishermen, etc. Kayakers don't really have more of a challenge than, say, cyclists. All have the same obligation to find a wooded area and be discrete. The water temperature doesn't change that obligation.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: