View Single Post
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Thanks "Dad Sold" and "Winni P". That is great input. When I asked the Canine Fence guy, he told me the wire has to be in an uninterrupted loop, so it would be "tough luck" for having the dog go out onto the dock or in the water.

We improvised, and took some of the training flags we had from our place in CT, and just placed them around the yard and voila, she fell for it!

MM
Sounds like the guy you talked to needs some more training. He is correct that the loop needs to be uninterrupted. But you can configure it so water access is still available. I did mine myself a few years ago and it's still working fine.

It requires more wire (effectively double the amount) but the pro-grade wire can be purchased in spools relatively inexpensively. You run the loop in the shape of a large, wide, "U", with the sides and bottom of the U consisting of wires separated by about 3 feet. Another way to visualize it is by thinking of one of those long balloons they use to make balloon animals. Shape it like a U and imagine the wire loop running along the outside edges of the balloon.

I ran the top edges of the U into the water about 10' on each side. This keeps our dog on our lot but she can still jump in the water or come out on the dock any time she wants to do so.

The only downside we've discovered is when, on occasion, she has swum out far enough to get outside the boundaries of the U. But this has only been an infrequent occurrence , and usually only if one of us is in the water and she wants to join us.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post: