View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
MikeF-NH

we bought ours years back from Home Depot and I installed the wire myself. It worked for a few months then stopped working (most likely an underground wirebreak). We had a pro come out and re run the wire (he said professional grade wiring holds up much better than what the consumer gets).

Anyhow the wire is sheathed so having it in sand (even wet sand) should not be an issue. The wire goes less than a foot under the ground so it may become exposed from sand moving or people digging/playing is sand.

As for allowing access to water...there is a technique of twisting the wire that will cancel the signal sent to the collar. A pro can help you with this (trust me you don't want to be digging a trench around your property for wire when they use a machine and finish in very short time). Watch it, if you aren't careful, the pro may cut the asphalt on your driveway to drop wire if you don't specifically say "no".

Ours worked great but you don't just turn it on and forget it. Good training so the dogs know when to turn back and what is "safe" is important. Once they learn the boundary, they will stop testing it and eventually the system isn't even used (as was our case) to keep your dog in the yard...they remember.
MikeF-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeF-NH For This Useful Post: