View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 11:18 PM   #11
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point or your missing my point? not sure which.
Ice in, at least for my understanding from my grandfather when he was alive, and my father, who s still alive, has been when the entire lake has ice on it, doesn't matter how much ice even just a thin layer.
Ice out is when the mount can go port to port (which is what you said, I agree)
WMUR definition in today's report is :"The declaration means all five ports visited by the M/S Mount Washington are covered with ice."
I have NEVER heard this before. If that was the case, there's been ice on the Weir's web cam and Wolfeboro's web cam and Center harbor's web cam. And the reports for Alton is 6". Don't know about Meredith, but seeing Weir's had ice, I would assume that Meredith would too. So what part am i missing if WMUR is correct?
Emerson always makes the call. Obviously, sections of the lake are open... but if WMUR is reporting Emerson correctly... he made the call Sunday. There are years were the Broads or the Channel never ice over... and we certainly don't see it right up to the dam.

When Emerson started declaring Ice-in, the lake mostly froze over everywhere... and of course now, if we have no declaration of Ice-in... they can never have one of Ice-out. So my guess is that Emerson updated his definition of what Ice-in requires. But I am not sure if he makes the flight every day.

Not even sure who will take over when he is gone... so I am guessing at that point they will attempt to use the webcams and local determination at various locations.

But yes, growing up here... and when Ice-in started, I remember it being the entire lake or at least the entire route that the Mount would take... so the Channel and portion near the dam wouldn't count.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote