View Single Post
Old 12-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Driving cars & trucks on ice

As winter approaches I thought I’d post a link to a man in Kennebunkport ME-Gerry Dworkin-who is an expert in a variety of water rescue and recovery related tools and techniques.

One article he wrote I thought was very good and I post it for readers who venture on to ice in cars or trucks.

https://lifesaving.com/issues-safety...rged-vehicles/

One general rule of vehicles going into water is this: If the length of the vehicle is less than the depth of the water, expect the vehicle to flip and land on its roof. Will this happen every single time? Of course not but 90% of the vehicles I have dived on or seen on side scan sonar are upside down so draw your own conclusions. Plan on it happening.

Of course the front end sinks first and once this movement begins the momentum allows it to keep going and starts to tilt towards flipping on to the roof. Once you hit the bottom you’re upside down, presumably in total darkness or near to it, in 35-45 degree water which is coming in to the vehicle.

If it doesn’t flip the odds of getting out of the vehicle increase dramatically but you are still in big big trouble and still face a high risk of death and an ugly one at that. For example if the doors are closed and the windows are up, you cannot open the doors due to water pressure.

Even if you’re right-side-up on the bottom the vehicle can easily be sunk in the mud past the running boards so you still cannot open the doors.

Lastly Gerry mentions tools to break windows. If the glass is tempered various tools can break it. Some are sold at Walmart and auto stores and can include built-in seat belt cutters.

Laminated glass is used more and more these days and according to Gerry-whom I asked this question of-CANNOT be broken-there is no way to get past it. For this reason, tempered or not if you have the time consider rolling down windows. Tempered glass is really strong and without a tool to break it it might as well be laminated glass.

Getting back to the surface if you do escape has other implications I won't get into.

Have a plan-some kind of plan-to deal with going through the ice.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote