View Single Post
Old 12-15-2021, 06:21 PM   #17
Jdarby

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
USPS can NOT open any First Class, Priority, Parcel Post or Express package unless they have some type of indication that it is transporting something illegal by mail (such as illegal drugs, beer, wine, liquor, guns, etc). Under those circumstances they do need a warrant to do so once they isolate the package in question.

The USPS routinely uses "sniffing" machines at processing centers as well as hound dogs (at the airport) to be sure everything is on the up and up.

Now, tons of packages are damaged in transit each year, and the USPS will make every attempt to put them back together and get them on their way to their destination.

If you feel your USPS packages have been deliberately tampered with you should notify your Postmaster and contact the Postal Inspection Service.

No one should routinely receive packages that have been opened. Something is wrong if you are.
So I found this on a postal website. “4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?
First-Class letters and parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant. If there is probable cause to believe the contents of a First-Class letter or parcel violate federal law, Postal Inspectors can obtain a search warrant to open the mail piece. Other classes of mail do not contain private correspondence and therefore may be opened without a warrant.”

None of my opened packages would have been first class mail. My packages were not “damaged” but obviously cut opened and retapped shut. In each instance I was the person who took initial receipt of the package from our parcel box or directly from the mail courier.

I appreciate the responses.

Happy Holidays!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote