View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I'm curious how the recent rash of cyanobacteria blooms are impacting the real-estate and rental markets. It has to be hard to calculate, during a period of inflated demand, but an impact is likely to be hiding in the numbers. Many of us in the lakes region have been kept out of the water for days or weeks over the summer due to cyanobacteria near our beaches, and that makes the lake have a lower, yet still high, value.

A good discussion of cyanobacteria is also needed. Is is always a health risk or only in some cases? Are people over-reacting? Has there been an increase in ALS cases in the lakes region? Are vets seeing an increase in pet poisoning due to drinking the water?

If cyanobacteria is having an impact, what can be done to reduce the blooms? Are the standard best practices around runoff, septic and fertilizer enough to stop it, or are the new blooms a byproduct of earlier and longer summer weather that has no local cure?

With regards to primary research about Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed, LWA is the most knowledgeable organization I'm aware of. I look forward to this Zoom lecture and will be renewing my membership with LWA for 2022.
Hi Lake Geezer! These are great questions, join us tonight as we are going to touch on a lot of these topics. If you are unable to join, it will be posted on our website by next week.
The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
http://winnipesaukeegateway.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote