View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 11:08 AM   #86
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
We've been wrestling with where to do our southern months of the year as we glide into that phase of our lives in a couple years. Neither of us like FL. We have friends in Daniel, (or Daniels'?), Island, SC, and they love it. We have also heard second hand that coastal GA is very nice as well, but GA has a big coast, so that's a lot of towns. Would love to hear any SC or GA recommendations. (I should also add that while we both play golf, we don't want to be in a golf community...ideally would like to be on some sort of coastal waterway, bay, etc) Thanks!
I've vacationed in N. Georgia a few times and I have to say if I was in the market for a winter or full time retirement location, that would be it. Within the Chattahoochee National Forest are Lakes Burton, Nottely and Chatuge as well as others. Very nice lakes for boating without the hazards we deal with here. The Smokey's aren't too far either for great hiking and even trout fishing. I found the area to be very "Lakes region" like except for the winter. The winters are typically in the 50 - 60 degree range but can also get into the 70's and some light snow is possible from time to time but doesn't hang around for long. Summers are beautiful but not nearly as humid as Atlanta. The state does have an income tax but does not tax social security earnings. Can't comment on the real estate as we haven't seriously looked into it but we've seen some beautiful waterfront homes similar to Winni. Unfortunately, the SC coast is 4 - 5 hours away but if you're looking for a Winni like area I would recommend having a look.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote