View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 07:34 AM   #85
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
I know there are many many folks that love FL in the winter. My in-laws loved going there for more than 20 years. They were both avid golfers and they really enjoyed being in a golf community. They had many friends in their condo development and my father-in-law used to say, "every night is like New Year's Eve!" Like a lot of folks, they rented for a few years and then ultimately bought a place. I think the biggest take-away/learning experience from watching their situation over the years, is that when you get a retirement place, make sure it meets your needs not only now, but 20 years from now. My in-laws' condo was a 2nd floor unit, with two big stairways, (10 steps up, a landing, 10 more steps up). There was no elevator. This was not an issue when they were in their early 60's, but by the time they were in their 80's, it was a major problem.
I agree. The current Florida house is one level and it is an easy walk in from the garage with groceries Etc. That should definitely be a top priority when someone chooses to buy a retirement home, anywhere.

As we get older (and more forgetful) it is a lot easier to run from the car back into the house when you forget your sunglasses with a one level home! Sometimes when I am out on Winnipesaukee I notice the houses with very long stairways to the lake (Rattlesnake Island) and think how ticked off I would be if I hiked down to the boat and realized I forgot something at the house and needed to go back up.

I have friends who rented a third floor condo in Naples Florida for the month of February. Their biggest complaint is how difficult it is to bring suitcases and groceries from the parking garage, to the elevator, to the condo. They aren't making those cases of bottled water any lighter!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote