View Single Post
Old 05-01-2022, 09:52 AM   #32
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
think,

You have screens on your porch. Many of your neighbors have the new vinyl glass. How do you think it’s different? I don’t want a closed in feeling, like I am indoors. I definitely want to feel like I am outdoors. You chose not to do this on your porch and I know how much you research everything. Why did you make the choice that you did?
I think a lot would have to be about design. My father had the windows put in to his camp, and I thought he gave up a lot in terms of outdoorsy feeling. The average window size for our porches here is 36" wide by 48" high, so when 1/4-1/3 of it is taken up by the vinyl when "down," it appears more closed off (the windows are 4 sections). If we had floor-to-ceiling windows like in some of the ad pictures, where the vinyl pieces are pushed down almost to the floor, it might be less noticeable.

We have decided not to go that way because camp opens May 1st and closes October 28, so it's only a few weeks of "3-season" weather and it's easy enough to throw full coverage tarps up for the winter.

Were money not an issue, were it my year-round home, and were I able to design it from scratch, I gotta think I would go with the windows because I could design it to minimize the "drawbacks" of the windows while having the benefits: cleanliness (pollen is BRUTAL on a screen porch) and cold and rainy weather.

At camp, though, it's supposed to be totally outside, so I do (for now) prefer full screens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post: