View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #53
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Default Sounds like a nail bitting Clive Cussler Novel

I was happy to see you came away unscathed, god is your co-pilot for sure.

From my experience on the lake, it all depends on the lighting conditions and wind and wave action. There are times you can cruise along and see a floating paper cup a 1/4 mile away.

I had a similar Oh S**t moment on the jet ski last week, before Moultonborough Bay, while navigating back from Lee's Mills to Gilford. I missed a marker and looked down and the dark blue water had turned yellow. Being on something that draws less then a foot and cruising at 20, it still felt a bit unnerving.

I have heard from people who have traveled on other lakes, is that Winnipesaukee can be unique and being glacier formed has much more rocks then most.

Another spot on the big lake I have seen close calls is by Welch Island and the forty's. There is one red marker that can easily be missed if you cut to soon after the first. There is a ledge off of Fish island that has claimed a few boaters.

I have routinely cut markers that I know there is plenty of water around them from earlier investigation as a scuba diver.

I think the best thing is not to panic and slow down, you did the smart move. I know when you come off plane you draw more water. But I would rather bump a rock at 5 MPH then 40 MPH. Then you have an excuse to send your prop out to be laser balanced to make the boat go faster.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote