View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
We use the toon for trolling now and it is a great and comfy platform for fishing and we have had good luck as well! Hell, it’s like being in a living room!
The lack of “a place to go” to escape rain and wind driven rain is my problem right now...I’d love to be able to go out in any weather conditions without getting soaked...not worried about the toon getting wet!
Perhaps a full canvas is the answer...just not sure how all that “sail” would affect handling.
I had a couple of toons fully decked out for trolling including downriggers and planer mast and boards. If layed out properly and done right they can be easily setup and broken down for entertaining / cruising in a few minutes by using track and quick release type mounts on everything. No holes need to be drilled through the rails or side panels whatsoever even for downriggers.

I would not consider a FULL camper cover enclosure for any reason, been there done that and its just simply ridiculous setup and breakdown time not to mention wind issues. I would definitely do a 1/2 enclosure covering the helm and the stern playpen area only. This worked well for me on both boats and was fairly easy setup and breakdown and did not seem to be affected too much by wind when trolling. I honestly wouldn't be without an enclosure if I still had a fishing toon.

I would definitely think about a kicker motor also as putting all those trolling hours on your main motor is not a great idea in my opinion. Almost all toon manufacturers make brackets for kicker motors now and if not they can be very easily made.

It would be a heck of a lot cheaper for you to buy an enclosure and Kicker than it would be to go out and buy another boat!! If you decide to buy a dedicated fishing boat in the future you can always take the kicker off and reuse it. The enclosure will also certainly add some value to your toon if you decide to sell.

Dan

P.S. There is always that Ranger Tug I sent you too!!!